No announcement yet.

Windows XP - Everything I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP - Everything I need to know?

So I got a free copy of XP SP2. Yes, it's legit.

Anything important to know before I give it a shot?

I hear it's better not to download SP2, but it seems I don't have a choice. Tips? Is there any way to downgrade it?
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

You could reinstall XP maybe. Don't know if that'd work or not...
    I haven't had any troubles running games in SP2 though. I don't have too many older games however. Quake runs fine though...
    Based on a true story.
    The prequel.

Comment

SP2 is fine. It's when you want to start playing Windows 9x games and 16-bit applications that you need SP1. But otherwise TUT will work fine, as will most other games, on SP2

Where were you running before you got XP?
      Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Originally posted by necros
        Where were you running before you got XP?
        2000. I wasn't exactly rushing to upgrade, but now that it's free...

Comment

I've never heard of this no 16bit on sp2. Only one tip i can give with WinXP, FULL VERSION INSTALL. DO NOT UPGRADE.

Format your pc and do it right. Then i recommend installing all your default programs: fave games, office, msn, aim, googletalk, ut99, thievery, teamspeak, etc And make a Norton Ghost image of it and save it for later. Now you will have a nice clean copy of WinXP and you can see for yourself that WinXP has no problems that people complain about. I run my PC clean as a whistle and I've never once had a problem with XP, sp1, or sp2. Most problems are caused by peoples registry, trojans and spyware from IE, and system neglect (5 brothers playing on computer all doing different things that cause problems). WinXP is the best windows out there and sp2 is no big deal.

and since you have that image now, if you ever have problems, you can just pop in the image disc or file on 2nd partition and in 10 min you can go back to a clean install.

Comment

not NO 16-bit, but its a real pain trying to get them to work.

And as for a relative perspective on what your upgrading, XP is practically 2000, but with a nicer GUI, so anything you can do on xp, you can do on 2000 and vice versa no compatibility problems (seen as 2000 is winnt5 and xp is winnt5.1)

As Rythmix said, dont do an upgrade install, if your gonna do this, back up your important data on to CD(s), then format. This will also get rid of any viruses, spyware, and other malware you might not know about.
            Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Yes, I also agree that you should NEVER UPGRADE a Windows operating system. Particularly if WinME is involved in any way
              Nightmaster,
              .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
              - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Of course, I was never planning to. "Upgrade" in my above post meant a clean install.

Comment

Originally posted by necros
                  not NO 16-bit, but its a real pain trying to get them to work.

And as for a relative perspective on what your upgrading, XP is practically 2000, but with a nicer GUI, so anything you can do on xp, you can do on 2000 and vice versa no compatibility problems (seen as 2000 is winnt5 and xp is winnt5.1)

As Rythmix said, dont do an upgrade install, if your gonna do this, back up your important data on to CD(s), then format. This will also get rid of any viruses, spyware, and other malware you might not know about.
                  I dont think I've had any problems with 16bit apps. XP has the Compatibility Mode where it allows you to run a program in Win95 mode, Win98 mode, and Win2000 mode. For example, if you want to install Thief2, you will probably have to set the setup.exe file to run in Win98 mode because it has an NT check. Or you could use the -lgntforce. either way, I dont think I've ever found a program that I couldn't run when used with that compatibility mode. Its a little more than an upgraded 2000, I mean, its 2002 so there's a handful of addons in it, geared towards being more gui friendly as well as some advanced user features. More personable than 2000, but just as stable.

Comment

Working...
                  X