AntiVirus for the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AntiVirus for the

I could have installed Norton when I made my computer and had a year's worth of virus definitions, but that boat has sailed now. The reason I didn't install it, is it's horribly bloated and resource heavy, and I don't want that again.

What I want is something that will keep me protected from viruses without hogging my resources, and also leave me with some money left in an already empty wallet.

I'm guessing if I want something that's updated, free is out of the question. I'm doing a scan with the McAfee free online tool right now, but anyway, what AV do y'all use, any recommendations?

Or should I carry on not using protection?

avg is pretty good, theres a free version too, which (according to the website) is exactly the same as the paid version but without help and technical support

(sounds kinda fishy to me personally) but its not a bad program anyway, and if you want even less sysem hogging, just disable the background check thingy too

Comment

I don't get that, people said there was a free version of AVG, all I found are versions you have to pay for or limited free trials.

Comment

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

heres the link

Comment

I've been using AVG free for years. It got updated very much during last winter or so, they switched to a new version number so the previous pay version got switched as the free version. It's very light on resources and is very much as good as any commercial antivirus programs. I'd definitely recommend it. It doesn't maybe have all the extra features of the priced version, but it's got all the basic ones, I wouldn't even need any more features. I recall it ranked as one of the best antiviruses out there in some tests earlier, as efficient as non-free antiviruses.
          My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

Somebody linked me to the website of the free AVG, it wasn't exactly easy to find on the Grisoft website. Using it now, thanks.

Comment

AVGs great, its free - so you youll never have to pay to get definitions.
              Also, norton really screws everything up (it set up a virtual proxy for some reason) so my internet went superslow.

I Just use AVG/WindowsSP1Firewall

but if you want more security firewall wise, Zonealarm, but again - theres no real need considering Windows will block most things malicious and if someone *really* wanted to hack your computer, they could get past either firewall anyway.
              Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Originally posted by necros
                Windows will block most things malicious

ahahahahahaha ahahah ahahahaha

Really, that was sarcasm, right? Or did you mean to type "Windows will welcome most things malicious?"
                It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Use AVG, if you require a 'professional' edition. Call me.
                  ~TuF~

Comment

95% of firewall alerts i get from ZAlarm were from Spy/Adware which later got nuked.
                    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

I like how Zonealarm stealths my connection. Dunno if it's really worthwhile but it makes my heat monster stealthy.
                      My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

I think Eset NOD32 is the best one.
                        hehe

Comment

i heard nod was good as well .also panda ?
                          also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

Have you tried reinstalling your operating system?

Comment

Me? Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X