AntiVirus for the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by immortius
    Used the Tools -> Adblock -> List all Blockable Elements menu, and selected the intellitxt script.
    I know that, I've used AdBlock before.

I was curious what host you blocked for it.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by WildBill
      I know that, I've used AdBlock before.

I was curious what host you blocked for it.
      *.intellitxt.*
      Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
        BiG_D, about open source. Unless you compile it yourself AND search through the code for every build it's no better than any closed source program.
        Even that's not enough -- you have to make sure that your compiler doesn't have evil code in it. And that's harder than you'd think at first, because you have to compile the compiler from source that you've inspected. Except then you have to check that compiler!

Somebody put some malicious code into their copy of gcc a while back like that. They had it check to see if it was compiling gcc, and put the code in if it was. Thus gcc would always have this code in it, even when build (with gcc) from source that didn't have it. Nasty. Also relatively undectable.
        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

That makes me smile; what a smart, nasty little trick. Things like that are what makes computer security fun
          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

I've always used the list on http://arienh.homeip.net/projects/adblock/ with my adblocker, which seems pretty complete, only sporadically i need to block some stuff, mostly on dutch sites.
            [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
            Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Yes, it was the context sensitive google ads, I remember reading an article on it at the time. As for the resources I've always found Opera to be slower, it may use less memory for huge numbers of open tabs but it's the CPU usage I was particularly referring to, on a 1.6 I've seen it regularly use 40% CPU whereas Firefox uses a fraction of that.
              One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
              -
              The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

That's odd, I've never seen Opera use any more than 5% of my cpu(2.8), and it's mostly at 0 or 1%.
                Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Dual Xeons?

That was the point I was making about the more streamlined browsers, sure Opera and FF have all the fancy gadgets, but I just want to browse the internet, fast.
                  ~TuF~

Comment

No, not xeons, just a P4 2.8 C.

In any case, Opera is just as fast on my 500MHz machine, although flash can lag it sometimes(but that's in all browsers).
                    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

a hardware firewall...
                      olol

iptables ftw!11

Comment

Originally posted by Omega
                        a hardware firewall...
                        olol

iptables ftw!11
                        Exactly. A pain at first when you want to let people in, but once you learn how... easy as grooming children.
                        ~TuF~

Comment

Even better is when your hardware firewall is UPnP capable, so that your applications can open the ports on their own.

Although there are some issues with UPnP, I believe.
                          Immortius' Forge

Comment

Seriously, what is a hardware firewall?

The image in my mind:

Comment

Originally posted by Omega
                              Seriously, what is a hardware firewall?
                              A firewall built into a router or similar external network element.

Sadly the real deal is more like a box than a glorious wired mess.
                              Immortius' Forge

Comment

Some little bump here.

Went with Sygate quite awhile, seemed alright but then Dr.Watson decided he didnt like it and created a 3 GB (!) logfile of complaints clogging up all the space on my system partition thus totally crippling windows and forcing a reinstall. Disabled logging but Dr.Watson still didnt like it and slowed the system down to snailspeed doing hell i dont know, upon being disabled he'd take it down with him. Annoy me twice, bye biotch. Switched to Zonealarm now

Went with Antivir quite awhile, seemed alright, but it totally slowed down system start due to using TCP/IP (gurrrf? Its used for internet?) for some shit. Fickled around with some settings after looking thru some forums, all goodie again. Then after the latest update it made my computer crash. Fuck you for having to bother on the holidays, bye. Switched to AvG

Fucking computer has no decency. Forchrissakes its the holidays, take a break from pissing me off.
                                My leet Thievery Map
                                My leet UT3 Map
                                My leet AS Map

Comment

Working...
                                X