Lets get physical.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets get physical.

I understand bolt/arrow damage is now dependant on its velocity. Would this also be true for items? I know we don't throw anything nearly fast enough to hurt someone, but could the objects be worked to do damage when thrown? It wouldn't have to be all of them. Just knives and a select list of other objects. This would make the environment in that we could actually do something with the items, instead of just stacking them on top of objectives.

Thanks,

Kiech
    Kiech

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
    Let's get physical.
    No thanks. You're not my type.

Comment

I understand bolt/arrow damage is now dependant on its velocity. Would this also be true for items? I know we don't throw anything nearly fast enough to hurt someone, but could the objects be worked to do damage when thrown? It wouldn't have to be all of them. Just knives and a select list of other objects. This would make the environment in that we could actually do something with the items, instead of just stacking them on top of objectives.

Thanks,

Kiech
      The UT engine lacks proper physics... So they will have to code it all.
      Maybe the Thievery2003 will get better physics if it will be done... Otherwise Thief 3 should have the Deus EX: IW physics... Which is based of Havoc... Which rocks.
      "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
        Let's get physical.
        No thanks. You're not my type.
        Now I see why your postcount is so high.

As for the idea Kiech Bepho suggested, I like it.
        What about things thrown from high places? If you throw a box on an AI it should do 1 point of damage or something like that. Or is this a dumb idea. I'm not sure yet. I'll have to think it over a bit.

Comment

it isnt a bad idea-after all it was in Thief. Whose ever attacked a thief 2 ai with a mech hammer? :grin:
          [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

People have completed "Return to the Cathedral" by killing all the haunts with thrown hammers.

Comment

Boxes throwed on a bot from a high place should knock him out.
              JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
                Boxes throwed on a bot from a high place should knock him out.
                And kill them when thrown from a really high place

I think this is easy to code in, just have the computer count how long the object has been airborne/falling and then add damage when it exceeds a certain timeframe.

Comment

thrown items already do damage actually. Notice how an AI say ouch when you hit him with a torch.

True story: one of the civilian prisinors in breakout fell in the vents. So I went to his cell door and threw a bowl on his head. The bowl landed on his head and he repeatedly said 'ouch' as it remained there. I left and went about the rest of the map. A few minutes later I got a message that the prisoner had died.

The dmg objects do is very slight though
                  "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
                  -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

Throw a metal crate ontop of a friend who tried to mantle a wall he had to jump to reach... So he kept holding space down, and 5 secs later he was death.
                    They dont take damage from it. It's just a bug that kills the player.
                    "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Working...
                    X