This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum does not support PNG avatars?

Iv'e been trying to get my avatar to use PNG transparency... and that didnt work...

I then tried using GIF... that didnt work... it allways changed the alpha channel to a greyish colour and it looks as though it had been compressed somewhat :|

does the forum do something to the avatars you upload? and maybe thats the reason why i cant seem to upload an avatar with an alpha channel?
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Try saving the avatar the forum displays to a file and compare it to your original, that will tell you if it was modified.

I do hope you weren't testing this with internet explorer..

By the way, √-1 is not a mathematical impossibility, all you need is a bit of imagination
    [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

What's worse, you're all missing out on an animated gif of yours truly, because the members gallery doesn't support it. Ce la vie, bitches.

No, I am not a sapient moose...though I know some otherwise very nice folks who are. Sapeint, that is. Mooses aren't people, numbskull.

Comment

<-- Alphalised gif, didnt use any magic or anything
        ..it's safer here.

Comment

Did I say avatar? No, I said "members gallery".

Comment

Quiet you
            ..it's safer here.

Comment

necros,

make sure your avatar is 64x64 pixels. You might get this problem if your avatar is larger/smaller as might get resized.

Comment

aha! the forum appears to change it to a .GIF when i uploaded it (why?)

and it obviously tried to compress it itself as it was 65x64 :O and messed up.

and interesting thing is, i uploaded a PNG avatar, and when i right click it, it shows it as (avatar614_19.gif)

yet, when i use IE to look at it, i still get the PNG transparency problem, when its a gif... wierd... but thanks mode... silly 1 pixel... heh
                Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

All the avatars are gifs I think. Even if they were jpgs when they were uploaded.
                  Based on a true story.
                  The prequel.

Comment

Yes. I remember I read the reason as to why, but I don't recall it right now.

Comment

Interesting... Although it seems to convert them to GIF, IE still has the PNG problem...

and √-1 is not a real number... its just... inconcievable... its a pretend number... i!
                      Attached Files

Comment

I recall writing or posting about it and it was said to me that even though the forum renames everything to .gif it is still the original file. As long as the mime type is correct the browser will display it properly regardless of extention. It was a bug, but not one of high priority.
                        [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                        Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

aye... i suppose file extension is irrelivant if the mime is right since thats all a file extension does anyway, just for the OS rather than a browser

Comment

Why are you using IE anyways?
                            Based on a true story.
                            The prequel.

Comment

Only good reason I know is because Firefox can't quite properly handle Quicktime all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X