Sound card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound card?

So I was thinking of getting a new sound card - my old one is built into the motherboard or video card or something. I figured that rather than buying a $230 Sennheiser which includes a soundcard or whatever I can get the $100 Sennheiser PC-150 that I was looking at (since Sennheiser seems to be recommended by a good number of people) and buy a decent sound card which I can use with anything (eg I might break the $230 Sennheisers or something).

So what are some good soundcards to buy? Is spending maybe $200 (Australian) enough? What are some good brands and products to buy do ppl think?

I've got an ASUS P4P800-E mainboard and a Radeon 9600XT vid card (current soundcard = Realtek AC'97 Audio).
    Night of the Werewolves II
    HarryPotterwars
    A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Someone recently recommended these to me: Creative X-Fis. They don't seem to have any at Scorptec though, for some reason.

Edit: Ah, NOW they do.
    Last edited by immortius; 5 Nov 2005, 06:05 PM.
    Immortius' Forge

Comment

Just read that review of the X-Fi, looks awesome, can't believe I didn't know that Creative actually always built their own little processors on the cards so not to hit the CPU...

I'm not thinking of getting a new sound card until Easter next year but would still be intrested to see what cards there are out there.

Omg the card is GOLDEN! I know somebody who'll like this shit.
      ~TuF~

Comment

Creative sound blaster live. 25 box. Work.
        My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
        And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Comment

I skimmed over the review of the X-FI, but didn't see anything about whether or not the digital outs are only for the proprietary Creative connector which only works with Creative speakers(this was a problem with previous cards). Does it offer digital out via the standard optical or rca cables?
          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Depends on the card, I believe. The better ones have RCA jacks for coaxial SPDIF input and output and optical connectors for optical SPDIF input and output, which I believe is what you mean?
            Immortius' Forge

Comment

Yeah, that's what I meant.
              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I think sonicfury is the best sound card....well...thats what i use.
                Your order has been dispatched!

Comment

It should be noted there's no such things as a "proprietary Creative connector", other speakers and headphones use the same jack. And you can get adapters pretty easily.
                  Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by immortius
                    Someone recently recommended these to me: Creative X-Fis. They don't seem to have any at Scorptec though, for some reason.

Edit: Ah, NOW they do.
                    I went to Scorptec (I am having trouble getting my account working but I will deal with that in time...) - http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?catid=39

The page includes a number of Creative X-Fi soundcards. What do you think of the $300 one?
                    HarryPotterwars

Comment

Well, my current line of thought is:

* XtremeMusic ($300 card) - Has only basic connectors.
                      * Platinum ($450 card) - Has the frontplate with the decent connectors.
                      * Fatal1ty ($600 card) - +$150 for 64MB of Xram which is only used by one game at the moment (Battlefield 2), overkill.
                      * Elite Pro ($850 card) - Slight increase in sound quality over the other cards and the external box with many many connectors. Complete overkill.

I'll probably at least go for the Platinum for the 1/4" headphone jack. If the basic connectors are enough the XtremeMusic card is fine though.
                      Immortius' Forge

Comment

Those Creative Labs execs must be making cha-ching sounds while their pupils change to dollar signs.

Comment

You ARE taking into account that those prices are in Australian dollars, right?
                          Immortius' Forge

Comment

I am doubly shamed.

Comment

I put an order in for the Creative X-Fi Platinum ($450 card) and the PC-150 Senheiser headset/mic but they didn't have the PC-150 in stock so I won't get them until Monday which is just 2 days after the tournament!
                              HarryPotterwars

Comment

Working...
                              X