Grrrrrrr! Why does it crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrrrr! Why does it crash?

Why does Firefox (1.0.4) keep crashing when I use these forums?!? It's driving me crazy! Before you say upgrade, I can't install anything on the uni computers, and they don't listen to my suggestions, so I'm stuck with it.

Basically what happens is it hangs, but you'll probably ask for a more detailed explanation, so here it is: I click a link or the preview/submit button, and it starts to load, then the cursor changes to an hourglass and nothing happens. The program icon changes to a window and the titlebar has "not-responding" in brackets. I have to end the program or ctrl+alt+del. It hangs.

It only happens on this forum, so I'm guessing the problem is an incompatibility with this version of Firefox and the forum software.

I've tried to make this post four times now, I've been forced to use Internet Explorer, let's hope when I click submit it will work.

YES! I have your solution! Dont bother with alternative web browsers that try too hard!

http://www.crazybrowser.com/

The BEST alternative.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Comment

Switch back to IE! A lot of people work to make it best browser and get good money for it! Firefox, Opera, it's just not compactible with the internet.
      In the Future, One Duck Is The Law.

Comment

I've had that problem with Firefox as well. It seems to hang for a bit whenever I mouse over attachments.
        Based on a true story.
        The prequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Flack
          Switch back to IE! A lot of people work to make it best browser and get good money for it! Firefox, Opera, it's just not compactible with the internet.
          You obviously know a lot about this, are you living in a cave?

Sorry, can't help you with this Carth, as I don't know what's causing it. But how can you run Firefox if you can't install anything? Is it installed by default?

Try turning off javascript and see if you are having the same issue.

Comment

1.0.4 was buggy...

Thing is, if your Uni wont upgrade it (im assuming your not using your own computer, mm) firefox gets updated all the time...

As for Duck and IE... that is the biggest load of balls ive heard. lol
            Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

lies, IE is the only browser
              ..it's safer here.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                IE is the only browser that comes free with Windows
                I fixed it fer ya.

Comment

Carth, if you have a usb drive, try installing your preferred browser to it. I know Opera can do this as all config is in the Opera folder, I'm pretty sure that Firefox can do it also, although you may need a special installation for it.
                  Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                    I fixed it fer ya.
                    IE is not free. It costs blood, sweat, tears and time
                    ..it's safer here.

Comment

Crazy Browser?
                      -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                      - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                      - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                      -YT

Comment

Apparantly it's not secure, but ok... in 6 years of using it, not a single problem. The rest of my system is locked down hard, and yes, I do visit the darkside of the net frequently.

Just updated, the gestures are sweet, and it's still slick as lubed shit in a drainpipe...

I think some people just stick with what they know, I've tried FF, Opera, Deepnet etc... always came back because of the single speed factor.
                        ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                          Apparantly it's not secure, but ok... in 6 years of using it, not a single problem. The rest of my system is locked down hard, and yes, I do visit the darkside of the net frequently.

Just updated, the gestures are sweet, and it's still slick as lubed shit in a drainpipe...

I think some people just stick with what they know, I've tried FF, Opera, Deepnet etc... always came back because of the single speed factor.
                          I shall have to try this, as I've yet to see a browser faster than Opera (at least Opera 7.6, the new ones have more functionality, but that makes for more crap to load in memory)

I assume its another IE core based browser? I've been using Avant as my substitute for IE, and its decent.. good amount of community chat and updates, it seems faster than regular IE, but its still IE.

I hear FLOCK is the new one coming out now, from the mozilla makers designing it to be even more of a "social" browser than FF is. All you FF fans will notice the similarities right away, including that little flower looking thing in the upper right corner (where appropriate document icons (min|max|x) 'should' be).
                          http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~mbanes...summonslue.gif

Comment

ok!
                            I tried this crazy browser.. and its crazy undeveloped. Couldn't figure out how to move tab bar to bottom (right-click on that bar shows no menu! what is this the early 90's?). So uninstall was my friend.. will try deepnet browser next

-EDIT-

Ok i tried deepnet. You don't realize all the features you miss until they're not there. Double clicking on empty space on the tab bar in opera brings up a new tab, I can't believe how much i use that feature. Also right-clicking on the tab bar usually brings up context menu also. Both features missing from deepnet and crazy browser. but I found where to put tabs on the bottom in deepnet... but alas, a trip to the uninstall was imminent

So far Avant seems to be the best I've tried of the IE Core-based browsers. Tried maxthon, netcaptor, and a few others, but none quite as nice as avant. But even they still need some feature work to get to the point of Opera for me. But then again its only used when Opera either doesn't work on a certain page, or that page blocks non-ie/non-moz based browsers (bastards!)
                            Last edited by Aristo; 11 Nov 2005, 09:48 AM.
                            http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~mbanes...summonslue.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Aristo
                              ok!
                              You don't realize all the features you miss until they're not there. Double clicking on empty space on the tab bar in opera brings up a new tab, I can't believe how much i use that feature.
                              I've noticed the same thing. I've gotten so accustomed to Opera I don't actually notice using the gestures and all the small little things, until I need to use someone else's browser setup. Then I feel kind of armless for a while as things don't work the way I'm used to them working (if all the features even exist on other browsers).
                              My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

Working...
                              X