X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

=0 adware! this breaks my heart
    ..it's safer here.

Comment

I remember several copy protections (of bought games, mind you!) whining about me having Alcohol 120% installed, whereas they never notice Daemontools... It's really irritating when the protections start checking what I'm allowed to have and what not.
      My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

Aye, just last week I finally managed to get round "Starforce 3.5" after much messing about, but Alcohol worked on that front for me - in conjunction with some other software and a bit of playing inside the machine.

Apparantly the next version of Daemon tools will feature IDE node blocking, which is something you need to be able to do to emulate Starforce.

Bucchus is right, you now need special applications to prevent the blacklisting of many of the popular CD emulation software, but it's all part of making it that little bit harder to pirate things - it's just a shame it also rolls over those people who actually want to backup their software! (Those with children and animals sympathise)
        ~TuF~

Comment

Star Force does more harm than good. Its great at protecting software from being copied, but there are some wonderful horror stories out there about what it does to your system. I refuse to install any game which uses it.
          ..it's safer here.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses2k
            BCG forums will not tolerate such talk!
            When did you become BCG forums?

*.cue violin music*
            The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Comment

.cue files are called cuesheets contain cd-specific info like gaps, tracks, indexes, track format, metadata and so forth. They're text and you can open and edit them with notepad.

cuesheets themselves specify which file contains the data, this is the .bin you got for cd-roms, .wav for audio (but can also be .mp3 and lots of other things), with Nero you can just choose burn image and then click the .cue. you can also burn .bin files directly, but you will need to manually specify some things, or you get invalid cd's.

Cuesheets are basically a simple and universal way to back up or distribute any cd and keep it as original as possible, .iso files are much more limited.
              [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
              Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                Apparantly the next version of Daemon tools will feature IDE node blocking, which is something you need to be able to do to emulate Starforce.
                I've read that the plan was to have the drive emulate an IDE drive instead of the current scsi drive(all of which are blocked by most copy protections as all current emulation software emulates scsi drives).

I haven't bought any software that I can't use without a CD in one way or another.
                Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                  Bucchus is right, you now need special applications to prevent the blacklisting of many of the popular CD emulation software
                  Try Sony's Rootkit.

Comment

What is this blacklisting stuff?

Comment

Blacklisting is part of the copy protection for many games.

If they see that you have emulation software on your pc, then the games will not run(they usually give you a message to disable emulation software).

Some CD and DVD burners are blacklisted as well as they are able to copy the game flawlessly.
                      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

wow, when did this start happening? is it os specific?

Comment

Originally posted by okih-imus
                          wow, when did this start happening? is it os specific?
                          A few years... ought to blacklist publishers that blacklist. Warez them instead!(teehee the irony).
                          Last edited by reallybadplayer; 29 Nov 2005, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Of course it's Operating System specific.
                            The best of crap runs on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                            X