Electrical outlet behind a sofa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical outlet behind a sofa

I'm boggled by the fact I can't find anything on google to solve this.

I have an outlet behind my sectional, and of course the lamp we have plugged into it is a huge fire hazard because the sofa pushes up close to the wall.

I distinctly remember about 6 years ago seeing some late-night-invention that looked like a 1" thick brick that covered the entire plug area and had 2 outlets on each side, so that when you slammed a couch up against the wall, you wouldn't push in the outlet and break it and cause fire hazards.

But i cannot for the life of me find anything like that online or in stores.. I've been to Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Menards, and I've been searching online for "outlets behind sofas", "outlets behind furniture", "electrical outlets behind sofas", "electric outlet designed to go behind furniture".. I mainly get furniture outlets.. which is annoying, but there has to be some item out there that can allow plugging things in behind sofas that won't cause the house to go up in flames...

Does anyone in here have something like that? or know of something like that?
    Last edited by -KewlAzMe-; 22 Feb 2006, 10:54 AM.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Get an extension cable, or move the sofa.

Not seen that invention here in the UK
    ~TuF~

Comment

Aha found it! Finally..
      http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...mart-Plug.html

Had to google for "multi-outlets that plugin on the side" and it was the 5th one down. I knew I wasn't going mad.

Comment

If you throw enough money at the problem, and by 'the problem', of course, I mean 'me'...then I'm sure we'll be able to solve this mighty latter-day dilemma.

Or...perhaps the famous:
        Originally posted by -KewlAzMe-
        Does anyone in here have something like that? or know of something like that?
        I dunno...maybe five bucks would refresh my memory.

Ahh...the hijinx we have.

Comment

Doesnt seem like an invention at all to me, sofas don't move by themselves. You can buy similar-ish things here, but it seems to be a non-issue. Electrical fires start in equipment most of the time.

Can't you just install a plug that has the wire exiting on the side on the lead to your lamp?
          [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
          Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Do you know how hard it is to run wire through a wall without tearing apart the wall?

I do have an alternative though, upstairs we had a problem of the couch banging into the wall, what we did was build a wooden board where the back two legs fit into holes, and the board is wide enough so that the couch doesn't bang into the wall anymore(it doesn't move all that much anymore either, which is a plus).
            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

rearrange the furniture? Your g/f is likely to suggest it eventually anyway. LOL

Comment

lol well the furniture fits exactly the way it is laid out... so we can't move it much in that room or it will block the sliding glass door or the entry way into the living room.

And Pest, the issue with the outlet is that sofas DO move on their own.. or at least when someone sits down in it, it can slide back, thats when I heard the crack of the wall plate.. which is really a result of poor mounting, but the fact is the little knobby handle on the plug is small enough to push in.. so even a sideways plug would still have that problem. But the sideways multi-outlet dealy i bought ( a few threads up) covers the entire plate, therefore putting pressue on the wall which is much stronger.

Comment

Quit flopping on the sofa, its meant to be sat on, not flopped on.

Comment

Why don't you just embrace the far superior plug design of the UK?

Much harder to crush; not a fire hazard.
                    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Originally posted by necros
                      not a fire hazard.
                      LOL! No Earth Ground.. and not a fire hazard?! BWAHAHA

Plus your little prongy things are just as easy to push the actual wall outlets in, not to mention the 2 prong plugs themselves are much larger than our 2 & 3 prong plugs.

Comment

Of all plug types the UK's are safest, but they seem overbuilt and bulky to me, you could run a street off of one plug. The US plugs are the other extreme, they seem really flimsy when you consider they have to carry double the amps. Do they get warm if you run heavy equipment?

Seems i misunderstood your initial question, i didn't know the thing was supposed to offload pressure from the couch to the wall, i thought it was just sticking out too far. (And salvage my answer, i didn't mean to run a wire through the wall. )

First thing i would think of in such a case would be block or restrict the couch's from moving as salvage suggested. If it has filt padding on it's legs, and it doesnt stand on a carpet, replace it with rubber padding.
                        [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                        Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                          First thing i would think of in such a case would be block or restrict the couch's from moving as salvage suggested. If it has filt padding on it's legs, and it doesnt stand on a carpet, replace it with rubber padding.
                          Smart Plug will do.

Comment

KAM, you obviously havent seen a UK plug, you were describing a "europlug"...

http://www.andyjonesdesign.co.uk/ima...ic/plug-uk.jpg
                            http://www.techclean.co.uk/images/its/plug.jpg
                            • Firstly, All Plugs have ground pins whether required by the applicance or not, the plug has a ground pin... so i dont know where u got that from lol.
                            • The pins are also far fatter than any other, so are more safe to plug a thousand adapters into them and run 5 computers off one electrical outlet without them melting and setting on fire.
                            • Europe's Electrical Grid is at 230V rather than 115V so its far safer anyway...

But yeah, all you really need is a plug that has the wire from it going down rather than straight out, á la uk plug
                            Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Originally posted by necros
                              But yeah, all you really need is a plug that has the wire from it going down rather than straight out, á la uk plug
                              LOL a plug with a wire going down isn't an UK plug.. we have those too.

my knowledge of world plugs is faint, but I was more referring to this kind of plug:
                              http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...s/C%20plug.jpg
                              which I see is used all over Europe except United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta. My bad. But still a laugh

Too bad even UK is still using that sorry excuse for a frequency: 50Hz because 60Hz isn't metric

Comment

Working...
                              X