Another new computer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new computer thread

It's going to be a big year for gaming, and I'm going to require a little more muscle if I want any of these newfangled games to run.

So, some requirements:
    I'm looking for a machine that will handle things like Oblivion or UT2k7, and it would be nice if I don't need to upgrade it in 8 months. Price isn't something I have decided yet, I'm still figuring out just how much I can spare right now. I don't want some piece of crap budget machine, but I'm not going to spend money without a good reason.

I'm not concerned about getting a new soundcard, I'm happy using my trusty audigy 2 in the new machine. Although proper speakers to go with it wouldn't hurt. Onboard sound won't hurt either (I like having two soundcards ) I've got a gig of RAM in this machine (though I don't have any more specifics offhand) which I'd be happy to use if possible. My 200 gig sata drive will also be used in the new machine.

So, what do I need? Show your work "Buy video card x, it's soooo good" isn't going to cut it. Links are nice too.

I've got some ideas of my own, of course, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say first.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Get new RAM. I had a gig of RAM in my old computer, but it had slower memory and wasn't dual channel. Tbh when I upgraded I planned on keeping loads of stuff, but most of it was incompatitble in the end. The only things I have left are my monitor, my keyboard and my hard drive, everything else got replaced.

I think UT2007 will be taking advantage of dual core, so bear that in mind for CPU.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, because I'll be needing to upgrade for UT2007. Hopefully my current PC will last a little longer for games like Oblivion.

Comment

Go outside and play.

Comment

Go AMD 64.. dual core would be my choice, but not really necessary. Maybe AMD Athlon 4400+
        OCZ Gold 2-2-2-5 is great RAM for gaming and video rendering, and after a month with WinXP 64, I'd say go for that too! but take a look at some benchmarking first, as some 32bit games perform better with a 32 bit windows. I wonder if UT2007 will offer a 64 bit patch like ut2004 did.
        I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Opteron 165 Get!
          ..it's safer here.

Comment

I'm sorry to say this but...I believe the age of the computer as a video gaming platform is ending. At least, for us broke guys who can't afford QUAD SLI video cards and DUAL processors and DUAL channel 533 memory and PLASMA 42" monitors.

Yeah, the PS3 looks very promising. And with operating systems such as windows vista becoming unbearably graphically intense for displaying simple icons, you'll need that extra power.
            Give me teh ps3 and a keyboard and mouse and some other operating system like windows98 without the bugs and i'll be happy

Comment

Uhm......... or not.

Comment

Originally posted by okih-imus
                PLASMA 42" monitors.
                Tsss ^^

Hurr, as for recommendations, i usually just save up money then go to a shop which lets you custom build your system and buy the latest, best crap. Total scrapping of the old system, except for the monitor, soundcard, boxes and some. Then i got about three years to save up for the next one

But id say nothing wrong with an AMD 64, about a Gig of Dual Channel RAM and probably one of them new PCI Express Graphic cards along with an NForce 4 Mobo. Dual Core CPU's, Windows XP 64, not sure, geeky gimmickery atm i think. And what a coincidence, i too still use an old Audigy 2 ^^
                My leet Thievery Map
                My leet UT3 Map
                My leet AS Map

Comment

Upgrade when UT2007 and Oblivion are out (and more importantly, the benchmarks are out), and no sooner. Getting hardware early just makes it outdated when you finally get the game to use it on.

On the same note, if you want to be future proof you'll have to wait till at least june, when AMD upgrades their Athlon 64's to their new AM2 socket with DDR2. That will keep you with the times 'till ~2010. Dual Core, i think, is a must. Low-latency memory as KAM recommended is nice to get an edge, but not cost-effective.
                  [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                  Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                    Low-latency memory as KAM recommended is nice to get an edge, but not cost-effective.
                    Well surprisingly a gig of the OCZ gold was only $120, which is the cheapest I've found for good name brand ram with low latency. but i guess cost-effective is a relative term.

Comment

Hmm, how much would you have to pay for a gig of no-name normal latency memory? I'm used to price differences of 30% or more, for a performance difference of rather a lot less.
                      [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                      Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                        Hmm, how much would you have to pay for a gig of no-name normal latency memory? I'm used to price differences of 30% or more, for a performance difference of rather a lot less.
                        That I dunno.. like i said cost is relative and althought I don't always believe the "you get what you pay for" stance, I do take that to heart now more so with PC components.

Comment

Ok Big_D, I have solved your computer problems.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25405.700.html

This PC should be good for at least the next 10 years. In fact, you won't even have to turn it on and it will out perform a 100,000 Quad-core machines. You can thank me later.

Comment

Big_D, I've just purchased an upgrade on my 3D Card, I ended up getting a reasonably priced Sapphire ATI x1600pro (512mb). Benchmarks are mid/high range and it's reported to work wonderfully in Oblivion.

It's not arrived yet but I'll post the improvement from the ATI 9600 Pro when it does, maybe a 3Dmark05 score too (My 9600 got a lowley 600 )
                            ~TuF~

Comment

That'll be excellent, as I'm running a 9600 right now as well
                              It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Working...
                              X