Linux ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux ;)

Well... i recently managed to screw my master boot record up and had to resort to "fixmbr" thusly wiping GRUB off the face of my computer, leaving my current linux installation unbootable.

I had installed Kanotix Debian simply because of the ease with which it was installed... live cd, installed from there...

It served me well, and let me do almost anything i wanted (except play games, since i had Xfree Vesa which for some reason didn't run opengl... but anyway...

I would like suggestions for a new distro to try; preferably one not antiquated, and one that uses RPMs (was pissed off having to alien RPMs to debian packages) and is will have the latest shizzle on the install disks so i don't have to download a million libraries before i can get a new version of XMMS or AMSN to work.

I will probably wait until KDE 4 is released then download the distro and install it, since i am loathe to install a new version of KDE or Xwindows (if they screw up i have no idea what to do, nor would i have any idea how to install kde or xorg anyway maybe some pointers there would be nice)

i was thinking of possibly getting Gentoo or SuSE... any other ideas suggestions/help with my general linux noobyness?

Cheers
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Kubuntu and Fedora?

Comment

slackware i hear was good. SuSE 10 was stable and fast, Linux+Live DVD is what I'm trying next, just like knoppix, but runs from DVD instead of CD.. i guess there is more stuff.. probably takes longer to load tho.
      I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Ah yes, which distro to run, good perennial question!

I've been running Gentoo for a couple of years now and reckon its great! But you (probably) have to be prepared to do more config stuff and certainly more compiling than binary-package based distros. Probably not the right distro unless learning Linux is something you want to do. I used to run Redhat then Fedora, which were ok except that the media stuff didnt really get bundled in (although it may now).

I run UT2004 on Linux and it works great. I hear UT2007 is also going to run on Linux too. AS:I is gong to be a quandary

Comment

SUSE! \o/

Comment

Originally posted by longshot
            Ah yes, which distro to run, good perennial question!

I've been running Gentoo for a couple of years now and reckon its great! But you (probably) have to be prepared to do more config stuff and certainly more compiling than binary-package based distros. Probably not the right distro unless learning Linux is something you want to do. I used to run Redhat then Fedora, which were ok except that the media stuff didnt really get bundled in (although it may now).

I run UT2004 on Linux and it works great. I hear UT2007 is also going to run on Linux too. AS:I is gong to be a quandary
            I tried Gentoo several times, but I would always hit a dead end when I could never get my internet connection working. Which was close to the beginning of installation.
            I think I'll try it again though, now that I have Virtual PC from my school That way I can be connected to a chatroom or something at the same time I'm installing. Do you find Gentoo to be the fastest distro?
            I'm sick of looking at all of these graphic intense desktops. I don't need that stuff. I just want the maximum power possible from my PC. Do games work better, the same, or worse?

Comment

Originally posted by okih-imus
              I'm sick of looking at all of these graphic intense desktops.
              Terminate KDE before playing your game then and start it from command line
              Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Originally posted by okih-imus
                Do you find Gentoo to be the fastest distro?
                I'm sick of looking at all of these graphic intense desktops. I don't need that stuff. I just want the maximum power possible from my PC. Do games work better, the same, or worse?
                Its a misconception that people run Gentoo because its the fastest.

Sure you can compile things up specifically for your architecture and set the compiler flags to suit, including O3 (whereby you often hit compiler and other bugs but where you can get on average a small speedup) and some people are attracted to that. If it all works and you get 10% extra performance then sure, do it. Heck, you may be doing things in a certain way whereby you even get 50% on some apps. And of course for some CPUs you can compile everything to be 64 bit and be able to address all that memory.

But I think you will find that more commonly people run Gentoo for its configurability and update model - which is a more continous approach than other distros.

As for games, performance is generally going to be more about your hardware than the distro you run and which flags you compiled everything with. Especially given that for some key games you dont actually have the source

Comment

if im gonna use Gentoo, someone needs to teach me how to compile binaries... cause debian has the dumbass packages and u just use kpackage on them innit.

Comment

Compiling binaries on Gentoo happens pretty transparently to the user. It's just like package management really, except it takes longer to install. There are even graphical managers for it, i'm currently using one called Kuroo.

Gentoo faster? It should be theoretically, but the difference will be small in most cases. I don't find -O3 worth using, for one.
                    It also lags behind other distros a bit in terms of offering the latest packages. And it takes ages to install some things.
                    See also www.funroll-loops.org

Longshot hits the nail on the head there, concerning Gentoo. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone using linux for the first time however, the installation process i find crude and poorly documented.

All commercial games are closed source, but that isn't to say they won't be faster on gentoo, because the kernel and standard libraries the game uses, you do compile yourself.

The THN AlienSwarm servers run on Gentoo Linux, which was the main reason for me to try it on my home server, to get a bit more experience with the distro.
                    [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

I got sick of compiling things when I used gentoo so I installed ArchLinux on my server. It has an optimized (for i686) package repository and everything that I want to customize I can still compile with their ABS makepkg tool. Very handy.

I wouldn't say Gentoo is fast. Your computer will be re-compiling your kernel most of the time. =P

Do games work better, the same, or worse?
                      Which games? o_O

Comment

Well, I've tried a couple of different linux distros, first Mandriva, then SUSE, Kubuntu, debian, I even tried FreeBSD

...Mandriva is easy and user friendly, and SUSE is probably the most user friendly linux os I've tried. Kubuntu is good as well. Didn't like Debian because it's gnome based, and I much prefer KDE. Don't even bother with FreeBSD.

So all in all SUSE, is probably the best. Now if only the linux community would all get behind one distro and perhaps provide some proper competition for microsoft.
                        Last edited by Loony; 10 Mar 2006, 02:16 PM.

Comment

It doesn't really matter which distribution they use. They each have different Desktop Enviroments, but that doesn't really matter when you start a game. It's just a binary compiled against linux libraries.

Comment

Well, i got SuSE 10, but it doesn't seem to have native MP3 support for anything...
                            iv'e tried googling around but most of them are email complaints and have no solutions posted, or plugins for Xine (which i don't use... using XMMS/AmaroK)

If you got around this omega, how did you do it?

Also, i seemingly can't get open gl to work, or at least use my graphics card... the framerate on even the simplest things is terrible (slideshow 0.2fps)

I have been to ATI website and downloaded their prorietory drivers and installed them but that didn't help either
                            Last edited by necros; 11 Mar 2006, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Erm. If i'm not mistaking you need to install additional libraries in order to play proprietary formats.

Quick google turned up this;

Comment

Working...
                              X