Home Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Network

Ok, I just installed Windows XP Professional (no more Vista )

So, I have Windows running, I activate it and update it all the way. (Yes, I have an internet connection before what happens below.)

So after it is all updated I start back into Windows and and install some stuff for my motherboard (whatever came on the CD).

I restart again when Windows comes up I have no internet! GASP! what happened? it was working fine when I installed the motherboard graphics stuff.

Setup:
    Router: Linksys WRT54GS
    Wireless Adapter: Linksys Wireless Adapter WUSB54GS
    Network card: VIA Rhine II (think thats right, i'll edit if its not)

We have (2) Windows XP Home Edition computers directly connected to the router and (1) wireless Windows XP Professional. (These three can connect to the internet). But the computer with the newly installed Windows cannot.

This seems like a wide range problems that are possible (so it seems to me) so if you need more info just post.

Any ideas where to start?
    What I've tried (none worked):
    -Set the network thing to Obtain IP Address Automatically and use Repair thing (fails at Renewing IP Address)
    -Tried setting the IP, Default DNS, Subnet myself (I can see the network but no internet.)
    -Tried both of the above with Windows Firewall off
    -Tried putting in a Netgear card to see if what I installed was the problem (netgear card didn't let me connect to internet either, with both of the different settings i had)

(Same problems wireless & direct connect to router, Yes, I've tried wireless by itself and wired by itself)

I've googled the topic but there are so many articles to look through, didn't see any that matched my problem, most people seem like they never had internet on their computers, I had it at one time so I dunno what happened in that short period of time
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Have you set the default gateway to be your router? It's below your IP configuration.
    ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by SpamSlayer
      it was working fine when I installed the motherboard graphics stuff.
      Were those drivers Nvidia Nforce drivers by any chance?

If that's the case, you may have uninstalled or overwritten the proper drivers you need for your network card, as ethernet drivers are part of the nforce package.
      Nightwarden,
      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
      - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

Can you access other computers in the network? If not, try running the network wizard.
        Immortius' Forge

Comment

Linksys routers have built-in dhcp servers, if that isn't working (the "renewing ip address" stage), setting an address manually won't do much good as you're fixing symptoms and not the problem. The problem being that you can't shove any data between your machine and the outside world, appearantly.

You said you could see the network with manual settings, have you tried pinging other machines, does it see other machines or only your machine (on the right network)? Do the lights of your NIC flash, and if they flash, do the lights on the linksys flash at the same time for that link?
          [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
          Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

if the others can access the internet, and that one could before you installed the mobo stuff, it definately sounds like you have installed new drivers for your nic. This could have made it disfunctional, or reset it's settings...

Make sure your default gateway is set to your router's ip (usually 192.168.0.1) in the advanced tab of your TCP/IP settings of the network adapter.
            Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Motherboard: http://machspeed.com/specs/viper/vik8m8ms.htm

Originally posted by Rodent
              Were those drivers Nvidia Nforce drivers by any chance?
              Nope, VIA Technologies, or err...machspeed? something like that...site was: http://www.machspeed.com/specs/viper...ms.htm#drivers
              (WOHA! they updated between now and the date that i downloaded the package, package i downloaded was the video one for my gfx)
              Seems to be located here: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch....jsp#k8-series

Originally posted by immortius
              Can you access other computers in the network? If not, try running the network wizard.
              Yes, I can access files and folders and all on my other computers. I thought because I couldn't access the internet it might be a firewall on another computer blocking me or something, but I don't much about how that would work...

Originally posted by necros
              Make sure your default gateway is set to your router's ip (usually 192.168.0.1) in the advanced tab of your TCP/IP settings of the network adapter.
              It is, 192.168.1.1

Comment

UPDATE:
                Just reinstalled windows and the internet is working.
                I think I've got the problem figured out now. (Whats below.)

I installed Windows Updates correctly except for one time (on last installation). One of the times I have a list of Security updates (39) included in installing these security updates was the VIA Rhine II Ethernet Driver (or something). I didn't know that Windows had installed this. Not knowing this I installed it myself (by installing the package I think) I'm guessing that when I installed the thing myself it over wrote some other network files causing it not to work when i restarted.

I'll let ya know if anything else comes up.

closed now? or are we going to leave this open incase someone else comes up with this problem?

Comment

Aha! So it WAS a problem between the chair and the keyboard!

Comment

I Knew It.
                    ~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                    X