Nvidia SLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia SLI

I just built a computer with a 7800 GT 256mb sli compatible card (motherboard and power sup are also sli compatible). My dad and a good mate are always going on about "you should sli" etc, and really I dont think its worth £<200 ($48) for another card.

Can anyone tell me if the effects or just the facts about sli make it worth me going for it (although i might add, farcry and BF2 run with everything [email protected]) and i just won CoD2, and Q4 runs great too. So atm i gain nothing really.

If I wait too long there will be a single card better than 2* 7800 gt's sli'd for the same price as 1 card.
    Alien Swarm Map List

Can we get laymans' terms on what SLi is plz?
    Night of the Werewolves II
    HarryPotterwars
    A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Comment

Basically it's an excuse to try and make you buy two of a top-notch video card in order to increase the performance.

SLI should have died with the Voodoo 2.
      Immortius' Forge

Comment

SLI stands for Scalable Link Interface. It allows you to run multiple videocards in parallel for a single display.

Apparently, a lot of games and apps aren't using it to it's potential yet. Theoretically, they will... at some point. Allegedly. "No really. Developers are going to shove massive amounts of time and money into optiising code for two GPUs when the majority of the market only have one".

So yeah, though it's good to have support for it, like you said you don't gain much right now and it's probably not worth blowing 200 clams on another card just yet, if ever.

Comment

so instead it would be better to get...... ??? Radeonn x1600 512MB?
          I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

I noticed CoD2 has " "something" For SLI" in its gfx options. Will games(software) need to have this for ATI crossfire too?

EDIT: *Optimise.
            Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Well someone i know at school will become a victim of this, as he is out to buy 2x 6600 in a computer this summer, he'd be better off i think with just 1 7800 gt (hmmm, i mean 7900 ).
              Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

I'd Love to have 2 loud graphics card fans instead of 1!
                not that a hardc0re systehm bu1ld4r liek meh jUuzehs fahns loffffffffffff
                ..it's safer here.

Comment

SLI's nice as a cheap upgrade at some later point in time, just get another card on ebay and double performance, a year or two from now.

And halve reliability.
                  And double heat output.
                  And double fan noise.

And jeopardise system stability..

Anyway, getting SLI now (not to mention quad sli) will please a few CEO's far more than anyone else. Your dad needs a reality check. To put things in perspective: GPU performance has doubled many times in the past three years. CPU performance.. maybe once.
                  [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                  Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Dude! he just burned your dad.... you gonna take that!?!
                    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

I could see it being useful for game development, by having the equivalent of future technology to develop under... maybe.
                      Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe-
                        Dude! he just burned your dad.... you gonna take that!?!
                        Oh No!

Of course, i never had any plans to go sli when i made this post, but that didnt change the fact i needed arguments against it
                        Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Seeing as i can insult killer and get away with it..

The only piece of hardware i always recommend everyone to get is a brain. It helps you think up arguments all by yourself.
                          Google's a good alternative if you lack a brain.
                          [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                          Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

I read somewhere that crossfire is not dependant on games being made for it .but the drivers for crossfire are not yet as good as nvida sli ,but when set up right can double fps
                            also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

Working...
                            X