It's Graphics Card Upgrade Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Graphics Card Upgrade Time

It's that time again (well, ok, not again, but it's that time - and no it's not THAT TIME OF THE MONTH... ), and Exo is looking to get a new graphics card, and he will soon have enough MONEY to get one!

So, people - and no asshattery - I have a challenge!

Post the name of the card you're suggesting, the price, and, in a couple of sentences, why you recommend it!

PCI-E or AGP?

Comment

what are you getting and why? Its about time for Kewlio to upgrade his 6 month old card too Im thinking the x1600 512MB ... (yes i want one cuz mach got one.. just like his mouse and keyboard)
      I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Having to get an AGP... and as for the "What and Why"... well, that's what I'm asking you people!

Comment

check out this hottie!
          More rams than you can shake a stick at!
          ..it's safer here.

Comment

Originally posted by Exo-Warrior
            Having to get an AGP... and as for the "What and Why"... well, that's what I'm asking you people!
            We'ld like to know what you intend to do with the card though... play existing games? Future games? Guild Wars: Factions? Spore? UT2006?
            Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by immortius
              UT2006?
              When did this come out?!?!

Well, I'll just suggest something from the GeForce 6 or 7-series. Just watch that you have enough power .

(Don't know your current card)
              The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Comment

I'm gonna get the Geforce 6800GS, AGP8X, 256MB, Dual DVI - see this thread where we discuss graphics cards.
                Night of the Werewolves II
                HarryPotterwars
                A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Comment

Originally posted by immortius
                  We'ld like to know what you intend to do with the card though... play existing games? Future games? Guild Wars: Factions? Spore? UT2006?
                  Shooting for existing and future games here.

Comment

waiting for mach to chime in with his x1600 so we can see if its as good as we hear.
                    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

The 9600 was a good compromise between performance of the 9800 and 9200, whilst not being too expensive.

I would imagine it would be the same case here...

Also, don't kick yourself about having to get AGP, there are still some AGP cards that kick the ass of their PCIe counterparts, and the current generation of games don't even use AGP 8x to its full potential, so i wouldn't worry too much about that.
                      Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

but AGP costs more
                        ..it's safer here.

Comment

And I don't think my motherboard supports PCIe. I'm not particularly complaining about having to get AGP, I'm more concerned with getting a GOOD card.

Also, after the new card is obtained, I'm shooting for another half gig of RAM to boost my current 512 megs up to 1 gig.

Comment

Well, i got a Radeon X800 GTO² AGP, cause i could afford it... From the benchmarks iv'e run on it it looks like it will hold up fine...

It is also the best AGP card i could practically find... i have heared of the existance of AGP x850's and x1600's but i haven't actually found one :|
                            Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, with ATI chips. Wasn't enough, so I modded it myself, so it now sucks power directly from teh power supply in two locations

I suggest ATI Radeon cards, as they've got unusually high modability and overclockingness.

How's that for custom-made words?
                              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
                              X