Got Promotion at work. New PC time :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Promotion at work. New PC time :)

So i know its only been like 6 months since my last PC, but I'm already running into bottlenecks on my system trying to run graphic intensive games and other high processing tasks.

So Im thinkin its time to step it up a bit more.

Processor choice:
    Athlon 64 X2 4400+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...46#DetailSpecs
    I figure I can OverClock the thing from 2.2Ghz to 2.4Ghz and make the equivalent of an X2 4800+ and save myself ~$200

Video Card:
    Im thinking I like the sounds and price of the x1600 512MB, but what else is out there thats comparable? which to use ATI or NVidia.. always the toughest decision ya know?
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103588
    OPTERON 165 GET!
    ..it's safer here.

Comment

Listen up. If you're building a new pc every six months your only kidding yourself if you think your saving $200 on part of it.
      Don't you kids take math in school?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostly apparition
        Listen up. If you're building a new pc every six months your only kidding yourself if you think your saving $200 on part of it.
        Don't you kids take math in school?
        LOL well i kinda cut the funds short for my last PC upgrade... but since I'm Mr. MoneyBags now, I figure ill shoot it up a bit. I still don't know that paying a $1000+ for an Althon FX-60 is necessary just yet, but I figure the 4400 X2 will hold me over for a little while

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
          you are always pushing this thing.. is it really that good? i see its a bit lower clock than the 4400 Athlon, what kind of comparisons does it have in benchmarking and such?

Comment

Originally posted by mr newegg guy
            Pros: I cannot understand why anyone would purchase a FX-60 when these overclock like nothing else 2.4Ghz easy without any voltage tweaks and 1.4v for 2.6Ghz stable 72hr prime on both cores....
            ..it's safer here.

Comment

ah yea i read that... do you have one too? have you OC'd it?

-EDIT-

Also see that Opterons are made more for MultiTasking.. like an intel. And the X2's are more for gaming. I'd like both Also the Opteron has a lower L1 Cache.. not really sure that it would affect much since the shorter pipes on AMD anyway.

I searched Toms Hardware for a benchmark comparison, but it doesn't even find "opteron 165" in its search.
              Last edited by -KewlAzMe-; 28 Mar 2006, 07:52 PM.

Comment

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardw...ict176096.html

This is a good read...
                up to the point where it says A8N-E was bad for OCing the opteron... thats the mobo I got but I am not an OC buff to be honest.. a little OC action via some bios changes is all I might go for, something like 2.2 with the stock HSF. If thats possible then you might sell me on the opty baz...
                The extra L2 should be nice.. but wheres my pedantry folks at with a bunch of incredibly useless, yet useful information

Comment

Working...
                X