LCD Monitors - gaming quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Monitors - gaming quality?

Well, I may as well follow suit with all the other PC accessory threads we've started lately. I've been thinking about making some more room on my desk by trading my 17" CRT for a 19"+ LCD monitor.

I don't know much about them, but i know the crappy little 15 inch NEC 1525V's at work look like absolute crap when dragging windows around. They get really blurry and I could imagine that would make gaming quite difficult (CS KO blur)

So I assume there are better monitors out there that don't have this motion blur problem. How do I tell which ones are good? I assume something to do with a good response time.. which i see is about 24ms for some mid-high end models. is that good for games? or is still a blurry waste of time?

Anyone in here use one for gaming (and is actually good at the game ) ?
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

'fraid I'm still using a CRT so can't give sepcific recommendations. I did do a load of reading on them about six months ago though.

Response time is a somewhat useless measurement, because it measures a transition using only black and white. Colour to colour transitions can take longer, so a TFT with a quoted 12ms response time might actually exhibit >20ms on many colours. Above that is where you'll get ghosting, and if they're quoting 24ms on a panel it's probably a duffer for games. Also, some can't handle DVD playback well, rendering annoying horizontal lines that flicker out from stuff.

Tom's Hardware seem to be the only people with a measuring schema that charts an entire curve of response times, but, well... you know what people say about Tom's.

To get a good flat panel display, you really need to read up on response times, contrast ratio, viewing angle, backlight uniformity, etc, and preferably test one. Compromise is also likely to be necessary; something responsive enough for games probably won't be accurate enough or have enough contrast for graphics work, won't do well with DVDs, etc. Very few panels seem to be good all rounders; most seem biased towards a specific use but manufacturers only use that as a selling point for graphic design.

Some of my friends have bought fairly cheap 17 inch ones (circa £200) and games don't look too bad on them, but I'm sure there's better out there if you do some digging. Prices go up steeply over the same quality bracket from a 17 to a 19 inch panel.

Comment

I looked into an LCD screen a year or so ago and went with a nice CRT anyway. I don't think 24ms response is good enough for gaming and here's my reasoning...if I find a really good, fast server sometimes I ping to it in less than 24ms with my cable modem. I don't want my monitor refresh to be slower than my internet connection. Then there are always the ghosting issues like Nach talks about. They make faster response LCDs, but you pay more. I haven't compared the prices in a while, but when I was shopping a year ago the price just didn't seem worth it to save a bit of deskspace.

If the BCG crew doesn't give you any good suggestions, then search around the web for gamer reviews of LCD monitors. Maybe www.firingsquad.com would have some info for you. I haven't looked there in awhile, but it seems like a hardware comparison that would be right up their alley. I think a monitor (and particularly for LCD) is one of the few computer accessories that really needs to rated by gamers and for gamers, so to speak.

Edit: I just did a quick search on FiringSquad and you might be interested in this article... http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/..._roundup_0605/

It's from June 2005, but they are probably still good monitors. At the very least it will give you information for how to judge whatever monitor you are looking to buy.
      Last edited by Ran-bot; 3 Apr 2006, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Modern LCD's are fast enough, but mostly limited to low refresh rates (60hz), which makes them more susceptible to frametearing, and have reduced contrast ratio and colour accuracy. It's mainly the last two that make me prefer a CRT anyday.

LCD's are a lot easier to move so if you visit LANs often, you should consider that too.
        [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
        Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

i never move.. but i like the desk space:

I found a few on newegg with really low refresh rates and good reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ice=&maxPrice= - 4ms response time

whats the diff between LCD and TFT?

@Ran-bot.. i was looking for a few but got mostly results from 2003 and was sure there had to be improvements since then. Thanks for that link.. i will read it now.

Comment

A TFT (Thin Film Transistor) is a type of LCD. Ping.

Comment

a TFT is an active-matrix kind of LCD screen. Really old passive matrix pre-TFT laptop screens had such a poor response time (in the order of 500ms) you couldn't even see your mouse move. Every computer LCD screen is TFT nowadays.

EDIT: Damn you nach.
              [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
              Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Ok cool.. thx guys!

Comment

I was wondering about this recently too as i could really use the extra desk space. But 19 inch Lcd's of decent quality seemed a bit pricey just to gain a bit of desk space. Nevertheless I will be interested to see the replies here.

Comment

IIRC, TFTs also use about 1/3 the power of a CRT in addition to saving desk space

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe-
                    I found a few on newegg with really low refresh rates and good reviews
                    Notice the stuff like: "4ms gray-to-gray (avg); 8ms white-black-white (typ)". Gray to gray is also a bit of a kludge introduced after people started catching on to the true nature of response time. A graph seems to be the only adequate measurement, but it doesn't seem to go well with keeping stuff simple for spec sheets and e-commerce sites.

That said, anything that goes as low as 4ms will probably be none too shabby.

Originally posted by PestControl
                    EDIT: Damn you nach.
                    Hah, you gave a better explanation anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
                      IIRC, TFTs also use about 1/3 the power of a CRT in addition to saving desk space
                      This is true. Someone reminded me of this after I bought my CRT. If you keep your TFT monitor for the "standard lifespan" of a monitor you will make up the extra cost through savings on energy bills. Of course a lot of this savings depends on if you keep your computer + monitor running 24/7, which I don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X