Cooling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling!

i decided to go and be bored and make a thread!..about stuff!..so here we are

dicuss your current cooling methods (especially those of you with funky homemade cooling mods) what your ambient/idle/load temps are etc blah,

im also thinking of upgrading my processor cooler for my p4 lga775, at the moment i have my eyes set on the thermaltake big tornado, 54CFM 120mm fan also remove the stock fan and stick a 120mm 200CFM delta fan on that, and im set for lyfe!

if anyone else has any recommendations, let me know!

onto the random efungus stuff:

two vantecs, unfortunately they were too fat to fit into the front, they are very powerful and very noisy, enough stuff to blow socks off

im using the stock intel fan which...sucks balls really

a generic graphics card exhaust blowy which i think died or something, cant remember when the last time i felt a breeze coming from that, and the rest of my fans are just crappy "silent" fans (aka useless fans that dont blow nothing )

so far my temps have been extremely good despite my poor cooling, but thats only because its been freezing for ages, but now the weather is getting hotter and i really need better cooling, (last summer i had to move my pc from my room to downstairs where its cooler because it kept overheating and shutting down) i also nearly died at the time from overheating, it was terrorball..damn heat stroke, uarch is a british man, he likes the rain and the cold, heat=dewm

ramble about your cooling and how noisy it is and how pr0 it is! and stuff

edit:
    this thread is not coherent, this warning was sponsored by big_d, happy reading

I have two 120mm fans front and back, and default AMD cooling on my CPU. Some of us can't live a life of luxury phaans.

Comment

Front intake, GPU,PSU, Top extractor, 2 rear extractors(1 imediatly at right angles to the PSU fan), Thermaltake Blueorb2 CPU cooler(has a nice big sink on it too.) & and motherboard heatpipe.

The top extractor is by far the loudest; closely followed by the GPU and then the heat pipe is next.

EDIT: *if i wasnt clear thats 7 fans(1 with large sink included) and a heatpipe.
      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Was going to watercool my box, but right now it's running three 120mm fans and a 90mm- the three big ones are front, back and processor, the small one the VGA.

After i'm done upgrading my box to 64-bit, i'll slowly save up for my watercooling silencer.
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Case: 2x Vantec Stealth ultra low noise 120mm (front and back) at 12volts. Original idea was to run them with 7 volts. Maybe one day, but they are so noise free that i dont see the interest.
          VGA: Ati 9600xt, original fan, core at 38/47, memories at 30/35.
          CPU: Intel P4 2.8 ghz HT at 33/47, 40 in charge when using the 80mm Termaltake blower of the wind tunnel on the side of the box (clip on around 47-48, but only when needed).
          Mobo at 36/39 and memory sticks run at 2-2-3-6 i think, dont remenber it yet. I use 2x (2x256mb) Corsair Twinx pc3200 at 400mhz for a total of 1024mb. Run in dual channel.
          PSU: Vantec Stealth 420w, aluminium box. 3x 80mm fan on it. They stop sometimes when it dont need any cooling, thats crazy.

I have done a CPU water block at school in aluminium. I have the pump, but i never found the time to get a radiator. Maybe one day too.
          My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
          And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Comment

Bah, fan barons. Three fans ftw, not counting the two casefans which are currently off. And the fan i used to have on my harddrives. And the two fans in my external drive box.

UArch, your current fan may be noisy because it's bearings dried out, you can try to remove the fan, remove the label at the back, and if it exposes the axle, drop some light (sewing machine) lubricant oil on it. Let it rest for a bit then spin it a while to let the oil flow down and in by gravity, done.
            [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
            Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

I typically sit in front of my PC and blow on it quckly when doing something under heavy load..
              I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Originally posted by Ki!ler-Mk1
                2 rear extractors(1 imediatly at right angles to the PSU fan)
                Dude, u got a PSU that vents *into* the case??? I never did understand why they ever designed PSU's like that...
                Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Airflow... one sucks air in, and the other blows it out?

Comment

The PSU, is closed at the bottom,top, left, and back, the right side(facing the grill at the back is 100% open, but is like 1mm from said grille) the front has a fan which is a at right angles to the same grill, and rightoutside on the same level as the psu there is a fan on that grill, and another right below it.... so, the psu helps create airflow as carth said; the psu is an intake, i didnt reaslise this before, but i just took a look.

the side i called "right" is 100% open too all the contained components.
                    Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

If your computer runs well enough, and coo enough, It's possible to reverse the fan directions in your PSU by opening it. Yes, I know it's incredibly dangerous, but it's quieted my computer a bit by having the air flow out through the PSU instead of the eddy current fighting the CPU fan.
                      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

its a big case, i dont think the air routes meet.

http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase.../va8000bws.htm

the liquid cooling pic happens to show the cpu in the same place i have it.
                        Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

if you buy more harddrives and fill your case with glue you will have a case filled with glue and harddrives
                          ..it's safer here.

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                            If your computer runs well enough, and coo enough, It's possible to reverse the fan directions in your PSU by opening it. Yes, I know it's incredibly dangerous, but it's quieted my computer a bit by having the air flow out through the PSU instead of the eddy current fighting the CPU fan.
                            PSU's normally blow air outside, i've never seen one that sucked it in. It wouldn't make much sense to dump warm air from the psu in the system case.

The best PSU's in this regard are the ones with a big 12cm fan in the bottom, not only are they quieter and more powerful, but they also suck out the warm air directly over the motherboard. It's the shortest path and usually unobstructed.

Opening the PSU dangerous? As long as it's unplugged you don't have much to worry about. Then again, you may have other standards.
                            [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                            Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

I just occured that taking my current desciption into account i dont know which way the fan is turning.

Edit: i put my hand next to it, and i dont feel any air moving outwards.... i can see the transformer, or thing thing with the bundle of copper that looks like a chocolate orange.
                              Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Working...
                              X