No announcement yet.

Cooling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSU's don't contain old fashioned transformers (they'd weigh a ton if they did), they are switchmode devices.

If you want to know which way a fan blows, just hold a bit of thin toilet paper in front of it. If you don't feel it blowing though that usually means it's sucking.

Or look at the orientation of the blade while it's turned off, then turn it on and see in which direction it spins. Or look at the shape of the blade, or look at how the fan is mounted. They're all the same.
    [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
      Opening the PSU dangerous? As long as it's unplugged you don't have much to worry about.
      powersupplies can still hold some voltage for a short time after switched off, its usually a good idea to just put a screwdriver between the plug pins justin case, you know..capacitors and coils and thingies they strike when you least expect

as for the noise of my fans i spoke of, its not a mechanical noise its more like..the howling air thats flying out of the fan at high speeds!

the exhaust fan for my gfx card is definately busted because it makes a horrible grinding noise, thats kind of noise i dont like , but the other loud wind rushing noise is perfect!

i got my big typhoon now and its great, avg 45 degrees has gone down to 37 (thats with the default fan) i still havent fitted the 190cfm delta fan yet

most of the airflow in my case is obstructed by tons of unused power cables that just have to be tied up to the frame and dumped in random places... i need to save for a modular power supply next :0

Comment

I got mine Watercooled.
        Your order has been dispatched!

Comment

watercooling for the lose! silence and quietness for the lose!...ban ye

Comment

A PSU is not the same as a TV, coils can't hold power for more than a fraction of a second, and the caps aren't storing 20,000 volts.

If you want to be sure no charge is left, just pull the plug as the pc is running, but shutdown windows first. Best way to do this is to have it restart and pull the plug immediately after it restarted.

But i've never seen it as a risk, and i've never been zapped either.
            Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

I've got a white neon 12cm Fan on the front bottom of my case, blowing over my 2 hard disks which also have copper heatsinks around them plus rubber mounts. There is a single 8cm white neon fan on the middle side of the case, with 2 more on the back just above the slots + the motherboard plugs (keyboard etc..)

The PSU has a 12cm fan drawing air from it's underneath, and an 8cm fan blowing air out the rear, both fans glow white.

The CPU is a standard AMD cooler, the GFX card has it's own standard cooler (Sapphire x1600).

Wires are extremely tidy, most are under the motherboard or bound against the metal structure of the case to ensure there is a good flow of air.

Typically my CPU will idle at 22 degrees C, working up to 28 after a few Oblivion hours, overclocking the CPU by 30% getting it up to 2.8ghz will cause the CPU to run at around 40 - 50 Degrees, but I seldom need do this.
              ~TuF~

Comment

You homo sapiens and yer fans.
                ..it's safer here.

Comment

having a silent computer would be... creepy...

besides, civilised poeple listen to music full blast to cover the sound of their fans
                  Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                    A PSU is not the same as a TV, coils can't hold power for more than a fraction of a second, and the caps aren't storing 20,000 volts.

If you want to be sure no charge is left, just pull the plug as the pc is running, but shutdown windows first. Best way to do this is to have it restart and pull the plug immediately after it restarted.

But i've never seen it as a risk, and i've never been zapped either.
                    ive had a shock from sticking my finger into the back of the cpu when moving my pc, it was plugged out for more than a few seconds ;p

and yeah it wasnt a big shock, but still a shock is a shock

Comment

Hmm, i've carried a lot of PC's around, an no doubt have touched the power pins at that as well, but never gotten a shock. I'm not even sure if your PSU would pass regulations.

I think you may have mistreated your PC, running UT99 on it is definitely insulting to any modern machine, it would want to get even on its owner.

Is she named Christine?

Comment

That's happened to me too once, while lifting a PC my finger went into the socket and caused my muscles to spasm mildly. Plenty of other times my fingers have gone in there, even on the same PC, and not got a shock.

I was warned about it on a PC building course, but it wasn't mentioned in the context of "If a PSU does that it's really dangerous".

Comment

Working...
                        X