Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thievery UT packet loss

Hello Everyone,

It's been about 2 years since I have played so I thought I'd get back in the game. However I'm having some packet loss issues.

Basically when I'm in a online game the servers have pretty high pings anywhere from 128 to 328 in range. while in the game my packet loss jumps back and forth from 0% to 50% making me get stuck as I try to simply walk around.

In a solo game one thing I notice is the game seems to move twice as fast as it use to move. At least what my memory was of how fast the game moved. But it seems very fast.

I could not find any options to slow my game or computer down.. I have done a lot of line quality and packet loss test and they come back with no problems found. I do not have any trouble with any other new online game and UT original runs perfectly. So the only problem is with thievery.

I have updated my UT to 451.

So does anyone possibly know what might be causing me to have these issues?

Thanks a bunch and I look forward to being able to play again.

Try a "Ping" and "TraceRT" to the UT server your going to. See what results you get and post them here.
    ~TuF~

Comment

Server 75.4.120.208 has a ping of 98 on the Thievery server list for me.

ping 75.4.120.208

Pinging 75.4.120.208 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 75.4.120.208: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=120
      Reply from 75.4.120.208: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=120

Ping statistics for 75.4.120.208:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 17ms

tracert 75.4.120.208

Tracing route to adsl-75-4-120-208.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net [75.4.120.208]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms *(hiding ip and name)
      2 5 ms 11 ms 4 ms * (hiding ip and name)
      3 5 ms 10 ms 4 ms *(hiding ip and name)
      4 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms bb1-p6-2.emhril.ameritech.net [151.164.41.235]
      5 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms dist1-g1-1.emhril.sbcglobal.net [151.164.43.83]

6 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms rback7-g1-0.emhril.sbcglobal.net [68.22.72.77]
      7 * * * Request timed out.
      8 * * * Request timed out.
      9 19 ms 19 ms 18 ms adsl-75-4-120-208.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net [75.4
      .120.208]

Trace complete.

Everything appears correct to me. My unknowing theory is my machine is running thievery at a faster rate then the server is running it and causing the packet loss / 3 steps stuck, 3 steps stuck movement.

Any help is greating welcome as I really love playing thievery.

Comment

Hmm this is tough because you say normal UT doesn't show any of these problems.
        If that really is the case I'd say compare ThAux.ini and UnrealTournament.ini i.e. the sections of the renderer being used (also ConfiguredInternetspeed !! and mindesiredframerate [best set to what the server is running at I'd say]) and anything else to do with networking.
        Otherwise there's this commandline parameter which tells UT what speed your processor is running at, this is known to fix the 'game runs too fast prob'.
        AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
        Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
        Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Thanks for you help guys. So far between my to files the runtime is 5 for UT and 6 for Thievery Also changed:
          InitialConnectTimeout=150.0
          MaxClientRate=20000 to match UT's

Ok going to give this a try.

*crosses fingers.

Comment

Your Ping and TraceRT look fine which must mean as Beo says, that there must be some configuration issue with TUT.

In addition to what Beo has suggested:

+ Try the different OpenGL drivers (search this forum for OpenGL).
            + Reinstall UT and TUT.

Sadly I think the few people who have had this running to fast problem never solved it.
            ~TuF~

Comment

Still not working correctly.

I tried console command cpuspeed=1300 but it says that command is unrecognized.

So still stuck.

Comment

New update. I tried working with the different drivers and kind of gave up. Tried playing UT and it was doing the same thing. 3 steps stuck 3 steps stuck. My game was running a lot faster then the server. I know that for sure because I ran safe mode change my video back to direct3d and the problem went away for UT. I went back to the exact same CFT server that I just had the problem on and the game was at the normal speed with out the 3 step stuck thing. So it does appear a problem with the video driver and my machine running Thievery faster then the server is running it.

I'll try working on this again and let you guys know if I do figure it out. Kind of burnt out for now.

Comment

Hi Kore,

Yea thats my server, but its on a pretty decent machine (P4 3Ghz). If the game is running too fast, I heard something about turning AA on or something. But for actual packet loss Im not sure. I do know my maxclientrate is set at 6000 to balance lag out when the server is really full, but that shouldnt really matter for this case.
                  I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=3946
                    http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=6067
                    PacketLoss, definitely fiddle with that netspeed good. (you can't set it while on a server because then the server forces a low one on you[not to say you shouldn't try low ones, too but those that get forced on you are nigh guaranteed to be too low for ADSL], pretty much every server does this)
                    Which renderer do you use?
                    AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
                    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
                    Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

In that second thread beo links to it says what i was trying to refer to.. setting VSync to True. Try that yet?
                      I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Also if you're running an AMD machine make sure that the cpu power management thingy is set to off.

(Go to power options in control panel, change from "minimal power management" to none)
                        Red Guard
                        Thievery UT

Comment

Originally posted by Kore
                          Still not working correctly.

I tried console command cpuspeed=1300 but it says that command is unrecognized.

So still stuck.
                          It's not a console command, it's a startup option.
                          [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                          Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Well I got the running to fast fixed. I changed some display settings and downloaded the latest version of directx.. New problem. now I can see through walls. Actually found some places where the ladder was on the other side of a wall but could use it from both the inside and outside of the wall.

Comment

Does this just occur with items, or can you see pieces of the level through walls? The Unreal engine has a few bugs with actors (such as ladders and players) that, when too close to a wall, will allow you to usue them, and see them, anyway.

Also, if you're using Software REndering, I suggest switching to Direct3D, or, better yet, the optimized OpenGL drivers that Mach has mentioned.
                              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
                              X