Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean the registry (without formatting)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean the registry (without formatting)?

... and not manually via regedit?
    I think I desperately need to do this.
    I already gave this:
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/...s/plib/rbplib/
    a try, but it was very limited and the defrag option didn't seemed to really do anything apart from asking for a reboot.
    I thought I'd get rid of my lately probs not using my ISP's bloatware 'software' but I still have probs.
    AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
    Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

jv16 PowerTools
    .:.S.e.r.v.e.r.B.r.o.w.s.e.r.:.

Comment

Really clean it out to make it like new is a hand job, and the gains are limited. Orpaned keys will just sit there using a few bytes of space, but not more. If you have any serious and specific problems stemming from the registry, software tools probably won't fix it.

Registry defrag makes your regfiles smaller, saving a few bytes of space and a few microseconds of time, it's not very important. A registry isn't the same as a harddrive.
      [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
      Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Use CrapCleaner. Works very well for me.
        <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and the info.

Comment

TweakXPPro has a utility for cleaning out the registry too if you have no luck with the above. Contact me for a copy if you cannot find one.
            ~TuF~

Comment

Hmm, thanks. I didn't even try the 2nd program suggested by Firetiger, yet but Bandit ones got me rid of nearly one thousand obsolete entries and I don't hope to get rid of my probs by this anymore although I think I get less system lock ups now.
              I'll see if manually setting my swap again helps and after that defrag although last one was at most 2 weeks ago and I only have DSL since Friday.

Comment

Save windows issues like explorer crashes, real lockups are unlikely to stem from stale registry entries.

Usual suspects are memory faults, a poor powersupply and if it applies to you: Overclocking.
                Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

I never used to get frequent lockups, it was a once a month affair whilst playing certain graphicly intensive games - since getting a new powersupply I haven't had a single one.

Really didn't expect it to make a different but a decent PSU is essential.

Memory is a cause but is much more reliable nowadays with manufacturers offering lifetime guarantees on most chips.

My brother used to get lockups / reboots too about once a week until he correctly installed his motherboard drivers.
                  ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                    Memory is a cause but is much more reliable nowadays with manufacturers offering lifetime guarantees on most chips.
                    Only brand-name memory. Most machines have cheap no frills bulk memory, however.

Anyway, memory errors don't have to be caused by faulty memory. It could be a dusty memory slot, damaged motherboard traces or a faulty chipset. It can also be a symptom of a poor powersupply. Radioactive background radiation also causes errors at a rate of about one a month at sea level, and higher rates at higher elevations. If you happen to be a terrorist and scored some weapons grade plutonium and keep it next to your system, that's what your problem is.

Comment

People buy none brand name memory?!?! What-the-hell. Must be the Dell machine bunch.

I was blinded by the fact I build all my systems with custom parts.
                      ~TuF~

Comment

I usually get cheap bulk memory at a local store. I test it and if its faulty i bring it back. If it isn't, that it's probably going to keep working till the end of time. Shelling out extra cash for brand names and tighter timings usually isn't worth it unless you're already building a very expensive system, or as extra insurance when ordering online.

And yes, whitelabel and home builders are still the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                          If you happen to be a terrorist and scored some weapons grade plutonium and keep it next to your system, that's what your problem is.
                          that must be why i kept crashing when we were playing ons yesterday,you really should tell me these sort of things

Comment

While your at it get some \/\/34P\/\/|\|Z gRade PeR0tonium.
                            ..it's safer here.

Comment

On the topic of memory, a few days ago i came across an interesting forum message from Charlie Demerjian, an IT journalist for The Inquirer. He's always right about upcoming hardware, this man has a lot of credit with me. It's about memory reviews, but the message is clear.

Memory is notorious for 'ringers', the companies do it all the time. There are several vendors that won't play ball, and are usually excluded from comparison tests becuase of it. This is often becuase the vendor(s) won't send in hot samples because they are honest, and know how much of a disadvantage they will be at if they don't.

The more, and I mean MUCH MORE important question out there is money. Ask yourself who designed the tests (and I don't mean Toms here). There are sites you would instantly recognize the name of who will let your company design a test, provided you have an ad campaign going, or at least paid for, and let you veto the results if you don't like them.

Sites will 1) Veto results for cash 2) Skew test parameters for cash 3) Overlook obvious ringers for cash 4) exclude companies for cash 5) include companies for cash 6) make up results for cash 7) do just about anything you want for money.

Big names are far from immune to this, both on the manufacturer and site sides of things. Mid-range sites and companies are usually the sleaziest, but no one is excluded. It should be immediately obvious who is on the take, when you are reading a test and basically wonder aloud 'where did this super company come from', you are probably reading a paid for ad.

The saddest part is that the honest vendors won't play that game, and they do end up taking hits. One thing to look at is for system builders large enough to do real testing, what ram do they use? Where the bullshit hits the road, who is in and who is out? Most honest vendors are more than willing to discuss the issue, dishonest ones tend to pretend it does not exist.

The biggest problem is that the honest vendors are deathly afraid of the big dishonest web sites, and won't speak up publicly about the issue, it is less pain for them to shut up and take their lumps for their morals. In private though, they will tell you where the bodies are burried, give you documentation, contracts, and the like.

Ghod help several categories of the industry if I ever decide to go out of the industry with a bang, I have a lot of paperwork accumulated.

-Charlie

P.S. As I said above, this rant is not about Toms, it just happened to be the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X