Windows Movie Maker v2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Movie Maker v2

Hi guys as you know I'm making introductory/tutorial movies to TUT (one for thieves and one for guards).

I recorded in 800x600 16-bit (from checking the properties). The video quality looks relatively sharp and when I import it into WMM the collection video still retains this quality, however when I play the movie I am making the video has lost quality and looks rather low resolution. Checking properties of the clips in the timeline (bottom of screen) shows that it is still (apparently) in 800x600.

How can I fix this please? Is there some setting in WMM that reduces video quality?
    Night of the Werewolves II
    HarryPotterwars
    A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Record in 640x480 or edit in VirtualDub.
    .:.S.e.r.v.e.r.B.r.o.w.s.e.r.:.

Comment

Most videos you see on the internet are 320x240. 800x600 would generate a HUGE file. The loss in quality is most likely due to the artefacting and compression to get a low file size, at such a huge resolution
      Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

BTW when you add video file to WMM the file is in low quality because it's only preview...

Comment

Bandit - so when I get MMW to convert it to the movie then it will have the original quality of video?
          HarryPotterwars

Comment

Yes, but you have movie in 800x600 and you can't save it in original resolution because WMM sucks. So if you want edit movie in WMM you must record movies in 640x480 or other resolution that is supported in WMM - if you convert movie to lower resolution the file will lose quality. IMO VirtualDub is faster than WMM and you can choose any resolution or quality - even uncompressed...

Comment

I'm fine with watching it in low res in WMM but I want to keep the good quality 800x600 in the final version!!!
              HarryPotterwars

Comment

I still think No Artefacting and a res like 320x240, or 640x480 is Much Much higher quality than 800x600, with massive artefacting.

Also, noone wants to download a 300MB File.

Div/X/viD ftw
                Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Dude you're going way above my head. Artefacting??? I'm just recording stuff and I think 800x600 looks acceptable. I'm a simple man and I just want the quality to stay as I see it there.
                  HarryPotterwars

Comment

Artefacting is a 'hole' in video, usually only named such in 3D rendering or video card tests.

I suggest getting something better than WMM, though my experience is that WMM can save in the original resolution, whatever the preview shows. Perhaps V2 is 'better' in microsoft's view.
                    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Yeah, Artefacting is pretty much corruption of the image caused by attempting to compress it to an acceptable size at a high resolution.

If you have 2 images, one is 640x480, another is 1600x1200, both are 125KB large, the 640x480 one will be pretty detailed, whereas the 1600x1200 one will be corrupted immensely.

Comment

Well then I won't compress it.
                        HarryPotterwars

Comment

No one will want to download a 2 gig thievery movie. Really.
                          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

You don't get what im saying. 320x240, is quite acceptable in clarity. 640x480 is very high quality. 800x600 is overkill.

Comment

If it does turn out unacceptably large can I reduce the resolution within WMM rather than redoing all the clips (which would be long and tedious)?
                              HarryPotterwars

Comment

Working...
                              X