Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unplugging stuff...Computer restarts?!

Ok, so I got this really old Vicam web cam (1999? lol) so well i got all the USB ports full on computer, and during MSN for some reason the webcam stops working, and when i try to start it up again it says it is in use (which it isn't) then it tells me to try and check the power (its fine, i see the green light on the camera flashing) so I go around back and i unplug the camera and doing that restarts me computer, i tried plugging in other stuff into this port and unplugging it and it doesn't restart the computer, i plug the camera into a different port and it doesn't restart the computer, but if i switch the webcamera back to the original port and unplug it, the computer restarts.

Understand what I put?
    motherboard Mach speed K8M8MS
    http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~186345.asp

Also the motherboard says it supports up to AMD 3400+ i've got a 3700+ running in it now, you think thats a bad idea?
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

sounds like a possible short in your usb port. Either that or a hardware conflict with the webcam. My advice is, don't plug it in there and unplug it again.

Comment

Your motherboard supports up to 3400+ because that was the fastest chip sold at the time. In reality motherboards for A64 's are usually forward compatible for all future chips that fit it. Don't worry about it.

USB can be buggy, it works sort of most of the time, and it sure as hell is better than all the crap we had to put up with before usb existed, but it's got a lot of flaws too. It may be a driver problem, a hardware short of any sort doesn't make much sense because it's only the camera, only on that port, and only when unplugging. Check for newer drivers for your webcam, if there aren't any, you may just be out of luck.
      [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
      Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Some things to try.

+ Reinstall your motherboard drivers.

+ Try another USB Port (Like one that is directly into the MoBo and not a "front panel" one).

+ Try another device in the current port. Like a USB key, does it work? can you plug / unplug it?

Also, you don't mention the version of Windows your running. Windows XP is normally pretty good with USB items as long as there are no inherent hardware problems, 2000 is ok, below that USB support is present but lacking.
        ~TuF~

Comment

Disable then enable the device in device manager. Should prevent the reboot.
          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Also, there's an annoying little icon in your system tray. It allows you to disable USB devices before you disconnect them. try that

Looks like i grey box with a green arrow on it
            Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Running Windows XP Pro Edition w/ SP2
              Tried another device, keyboard, it works fine, I can unplug and plug it in with no problems while computer is on.

Only reason i have camera plugged into the port that it is in because its has to be that way, Tablet and camera in top ones mouse and keyboard in bottom ones, just one of those things but i've switched them now though, so no problem, was just wondering what a reason could have been for the restart (yeh it happened more than once)

Comment

Or you hit the restart button on your PC...
                http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/t...isoldier28.png

Comment

lol, gotta have a pin on my computer to hit the restart button ^^

Comment

buttons are for losers, real men use jumpers.
                    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

jumpers are for losers, real men use windows.
                      ..it's safer here.

Comment

Windows are for losers, real men punch a hole in the wall ^_^
                        http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/t...isoldier28.png

Comment

PsiSoldiers are for losers, real men punch PsiSoldier through the wall ^_^
                          ..it's safer here.

Comment

Working...
                          X