Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows File Delete to continue after error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows File Delete to continue after error?

[rant]
    I cannot believe, still to this day, that Windows, in all its vast glory and stability does not offer the option to continue deleting after a file delete error.

Goto your Windows Temp directory.. highlight all the stuff in there and hit SHIFT+DELETE. Chances are, windows will give you an error after the first few files are deleted, saying that one of the temp files cannot be deleted because it is in use. But why doesn't it give you the option to continue or abort?! Why the hell does it assume that just because one file is in use that you want to change your mind about all the other files you selected?

Why has no beta tester or developer for the last 5 windows been smart enough to tell somebody over there.
    [/rant]

Is there some trick i don't know about out there for this?
    Last edited by -KewlAzMe-; 24 May 2006, 09:00 AM.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

heya KAM, try this : http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
    hehe

Comment

hmm this looks like a decent process viewer.. . but it forces me to have to deal with the file thats stuck.. i dont really care about this file.. i just want the rest of the files to continue with the delete process .. or better yet, save the error till the end after all the other files that aren't busy are gone.

Comment

YEP! Sucks doesn't it? You could try a dos prompt del *.* /s

Heres 2 tips, not related to the above

1) Hold Alt + Double click a file for quick properties.

2) When promted "Yes / Yes to all / No" if you hold shift and click "No" it's like saying "No to all".
        ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
          YEP! Sucks doesn't it? You could try a dos prompt del *.* /s
          You know, this might work if I create a custom context menu item that points to this file. Similar to the tips on adding a context menu to list all files in a folder and dump it to a text file.. I will try this today! thx
          Originally posted by TheMachine

Heres 2 tips, not related to the above

1) Hold Alt + Double click a file for quick properties.

2) When promted "Yes / Yes to all / No" if you hold shift and click "No" it's like saying "No to all".
          O_o this is random...

Comment

Well we might as well turn this into an "Obscure windows tricks" thread!
            ~TuF~

Comment

Holding SHIFT while inserting CD bypasses autoplay =o

One thing I am used to do quite often is ctrl-escape -> Opens Start Menu instantly, helpful when something gets stuck. (You can do Alt-M after it to minimize ALL windows).
              In the Future, One Duck Is The Law.

Comment

Originally posted by Flack
                One thing I am used to do quite often is ctrl-escape -> Opens Start Menu instantly
                iv got a windows start key for that. it can be a pain when your in a game and press it by acident tho

hold alt + prt screen = takes ss of the current open window

hold alt + left or right key = same as back and forword when in a internet broswer

hold alt + s = post message in forums (doesnt work in all forums)

hold ctr + click refresh = when refresh doesnt work properly use that
                [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
                Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
                AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
                Videos - YouTube

Comment

I got it!! Thanks to machine for the inspiring reminder.

Using this example for creating a context menu for creating directory filelists:
                  http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

I made my batch file called delnoprompt.bat and put it in C:\Windows\delnoprompt\ folder that I created
                  inside that file I have:
                  cd %1
                  del *.* /s /q /a:r

Then I went to an open folder and clicked:
                  TOOLS->FOLDER OPTIONS->FILE TYPES->Folder->Advanced->New...

Add the following:
                  Action: Delete w/o Prompt
                  Application used: c:\windows\delnoprompt\delnoprompt.bat

Now its added to the context menu and this uses quiet mode to delete all files in the folder you right click on, including files in the subdirectories. It doesn't delete the subdir folders, but thats not a big deal for me. the /q switch makes it not harrass me when a file is locked.

Keep in mind, you dont want to be in the folder view, you want to be one level up so you can select the actual folder itself, as the context is on the folder icon, not the open folder view (tho I would like to put it there, I haven't figured out how yet)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by -KewlAzMe-; 4 Jun 2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Awesome Kewl, handy to know I might setup a "Send to torrents folder" for torrents I download on my games machine to send them to the server and be picked up by uTorrent if I drop them in the right folder.

Nice tips others
                    ~TuF~

Comment

better still!
                      I took that same principle on a file basis, so you can select multiple files and delete them incase you dont want to wipe the whole folder.

This one had to be done through the regeditor tho.
                      Make another bat file named delSelectedfiles.bat and save it to C:\Windows\delfilesnoprompt\ directory previously created above.
                      inside that file put:
                      del %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 /s /q /a:r
                      (this allows the del command to delete 9 files at a time, which is the max the del command can handle. But not to worry, windows knows this and runs it multiple times if you have more than 9 files selected. You will just see a command window mometarily pop up for each set of 9 files)

1. START->RUN->regedit
                      2. right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->* (its the first one at the top)
                      3. If "shell" exists, skip to step 4, otherwise Right-click and Add a new Key, call it: shell
                      4. Rightclick on the shell key and Add a new Key, call it: Del File(s) w/o Prompt
                      5. right click on that new key and make another new key below it called: command
                      6. double click the default value in the right panel of the window under the command key and paste: C:\windows\delfiles\delSelectedfiles.bat "%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9" (note the location of the quotation marks)

Now right click on a file, or select multiple files to delete and run this menu option and it will delete all the files without bugging you if one is locked. It will just skip it and continue.

Hope someone else finds it useful. Maybe I will make a reg file for this to make it easier. Or maybe I should just make an installer program to do this all for you.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by -KewlAzMe-; 4 Jun 2009, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Edited both of my posts for the batch files above to add '/a:r' to each batch file as I found I needed the ignore attribute switch for one of the files I was trying to delete. Now it will blow everything away
                        Last edited by -KewlAzMe-; 4 Jun 2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Back to "Obscure windows tricks" I recently came across:

shutdown -a

That will abort shutdown if you want to cancel it after you selected Start->Shutdown or Restart.

The problem is, however, that it needs to be typed in a CMD prompt. So unless your system is dog slow, you need to either be really quick with keyboard shortcuts or just make a batchfile and stick it in your quicklaunch bar.

Comment

Possibly related, here is a thread we recently started listing useful little windows applications.

Kewl, you may know that there are other Shutdown -<commands> you can use, this is useful if you want to say, reboot a computer at a particular time when your not around.
                            ~TuF~

Comment

Windows Key + Break = Opens System pane
                              Windows Key + U = Opens Narrator
                              Windows Key + D = Show Desktop
                              Windows Key + L = Lock the computer
                              Windows Key + E = Opens a new explorer

Avoiding unnecessary annoyance when reinstalling Windows XP
                              Immortius' Forge

Comment

Working...
                              X