VGA switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGA switch

I'm thinking about trying a VGA switch to toggle my monitor's input between my PC and a game console.

Does anyone know if this will cause windows to be unhappy with me randomly disconnecting the monitor or is that unknown to the OS? I mean, does windows know when a monitor is connected or is it just an output signal like any stereo plug?

Edit: Actually i'm realizing this is a bit of a silly question, but i'm curious and want to know if I should get a KVM switch, even though I won't be switching the keyboard or mouse.

I smacked myself and just tried it on another PC. Disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor didn't seem to have any effect at all. I think i'm okay.
    Last edited by Firetiger; 6 Jul 2006, 09:07 PM.
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

The monitor can talk to the pc, it can tell it its refresh rates and its when it starts a new scan. It shouldnt upset windows if you switch, but it might (probably not though) cause windows to boot at a different resolution if the monitors not connected. How do you plan on connecting the vga to the console?
    ..it's safer here.

Comment

I have a VGA to S-video switch that I've used for a security camera setup. Windows only talks to the monitor during startup (which I just figured out recently) to find the compatible resolutions, but other than that, it could care less You should have no problems. Make sure you get a KVM that doesn't require a PS/2 or USB signal or power if you are planning on switching only the monitor.
      I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
        How do you plan on connecting the vga to the console?
        The latest have VGA outputs (xbox 360, Wii, possibly the PS3).

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe-
        Make sure you get a KVM that doesn't require a PS/2 or USB signal or power if you are planning on switching only the monitor.
        Well I wasn't planning to use a KVM switch, just a regular VGA auto-switcher, probably Extron brand (professional equipment, heard many good things).

Comment

I have a CRT monitor that handles two inputs - a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u (22").

No doubt something like that would work admirably
          Nightmaster,
          .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
          - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Sure, that'd work. I don't really feel like spending the dough for a new monitor though. The one i've got is decent.

That is something I might look into in the future when i'm shopping for a new monitor though. Someday i'll probably try those spiffy flat panels, but right now i'm waiting for new tech to come through (SED and HDCP).

Comment

I'm actualy shopping for a new monitor (been eating a half-meal a day for a month to save up) and I'm considering the PW-201 from Asus. It's pricey, but it'll handle the monitors, direct input from most gaming consoles, as well as composite and S-video in. I might suggest it if you're rich enough. Or don't mind starving yourself for a month to get the cash.
              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

I gotta say I'm happy to see another open-minded console player here FT

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                  I might suggest it if you're rich enough.
                  I wish.

I'm extremely tight on cash so i'm trying to take the least expensive route. Getting everything from eBay.

Unfortunately i'm somewhat of a perfectionist, so I won't be able to live with any loss in picture quality.

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe-
                  I gotta say I'm happy to see another open-minded console player here FT
                  Heh, well it looks like HD is moving in for games and movies, and I figure i've been sitting in front of an HD "TV" for years. No point in spending thousands when this one is perfectly capable.

I win!

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger
                    Unfortunately i'm somewhat of a perfectionist, so I won't be able to live with any loss in picture quality.

I win!
                    We can tell from your perfect feedback

Comment

Now i'm wondering if the console(s) will have the same problem I was concerned about in the first post. Mabye it would have been smarter to use a KVM switch.

It's so hard to tell which are quality products. At least I know i've got a top-of-the-line device, provided it does what it's supposed to (and it works like it should).

I don't want any ringing/ghosting or blurring in the picture. Especially if I want to use a high resolution.

Comment

Working...
                      X