No announcement yet.

Which speakers are best for the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speakers are best for the money?

Creative GigaWorks S750
    £256

Creative Inspire T7900
    £61

Creative GigaWorks ProGamer G550W
    £207

Creative Gigaworks G500
    £129

Creative Site Compare Utility
    The top left four.

I cant really afford the top 1 but its here anyway, really its competition between the 'Creative GigaWorks ProGamer G550W' and the 'Creative Gigaworks G500', wireless against wired, although the wireless one has many intresting features, the Creative Gigaworks G500 was recomended on my sound card box: X-Fi, and the ProGamer G550W was not released at that time.
    Alien Swarm Map List

There are more brands than just creative, you know. I'm not really fond of speakers from computer oriented manufacturers, you can probably find better gear in the hifi world, though perhaps not 5.1.

Did you look for reviews?
    [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

I've looked a logitech and we have a sony stereos on 2 of the 4(3 are small, heh mine is 13 years old ) Tv's in the house, but well its* recommended for the soundcard and has dropped in price by £40 since i got the sound card.

No, its just if I dont get some soon I wont have any speakers, damn parents own my speakers :'(

But my dad wants me to get THX ceritfied speakers.

I'll get this if the other 3 are not better for the money.
      Last edited by Ki!ler-Mk1; 31 Aug 2006, 09:09 AM.
      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

go digital \0/
        ..it's safer here.

Comment

I'd suggest a good set of Sony Speakers, ensure they are beefy enough to hold their own without a subwoofer (even though you'll have one too!) and your laughing. Mine aren't PC speakers, their HiFi - probably to big to have on a desk end (they are mounted in the 4 corners of the room) but damn are they nice.

What the hell is a THX certified speaker anyway? Go for the one that gives you the best all round sound, seriously - when I play with the speakers in, the booms make the room shake Awesome.

Funny as it may seem, but creative would recommend creative speakers wouldn't they? Hell, uncle bens rice suggests using uncle bens curry sauce! What are the odds?
          ~TuF~

Comment

We have 2 of these already

Originally posted by TheMachine View Post
            Funny as it may seem, but creative would recommend creative speakers wouldn't they? Hell, uncle bens rice suggests using uncle bens curry sauce! What are the odds?
            Yes, but have you noticed how products from the same manufacturers frequently work better together, he some wont even work at all if they're not with other parts from the same "sad" companies.
            Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Why not just go to Newegg, and buy the cheapest speakers that are rated 4.5+ by a significant number of folks? Oh wait...that would be too rational and intelligent for you, wouldn't it? Killer, have you ever seen Sealab? I always picture you as Stormy Waters. Totally.

Comment

Whats newegg & sealab? Is that like a chickenfarm and a oceanography base?
                Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Moses2k View Post
                  Why not just go to Newegg, and buy the cheapest speakers that are rated 4.5+ by a significant number of folks?
                  Because consumer reviews are worth approximately nothing? Everyone who uploads a review, unless they have had a profoundly unpleasant experience, is going to convince themselves they've made exactly the right decision. Because they're not dealing with many different versions of the same items, unlike tech journos, consumers have cruddy reference frames.

Once a few such reviews trickle in, others buy and perform the same, almost completely subjective process, and beyond a certain critical mass people buy stuff just because other people are buying it.

This has been studied with groups selecting songs from a small list on a download service. Edit: Found it, and here's an article about the findings.

Basically, people who could see that certain songs had been downloaded more went for those songs instead of ones that had been downloaded less. This resulted in fast growing social biases toward certain songs that otherwise didn't occur. Public review systems and stats are influential on any kind of market, yet they produce very different results to private rating systems.

The only good way I've found for evaluating stuff before I buy is to find multiple professional reviews. Only way to eliminate bias. It's a lovely, idealistic thought that everyone's opinion counts, but the truth is some opinions are more valuable and useful than others.

Dig out quality reviews for anything you contemplate, Killer.
                  Last edited by Nachimir; 2 Sep 2006, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks nach, I googled Creative Gigaworks G500 review and picked out a few, all suggest that for my purpose they are fine, although the reviews are from earlier in the year when the set costed £70 more, so at £129 i will buy them, thanks for all the help.

EDIT: Intresting story.

Last week my dad said I can use his credit card to buy the so he can get points from the big item to buy put towards the car my sister wants next year, now they say that I cant have them till next week, this is very suspious, although i do have a birth day next week, so will i be happy and will if they are, get what i want
                    Last edited by Ki!ler-Mk1; 2 Sep 2006, 08:31 AM.
                    Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Consider me schooled.

Comment

I have got these for my birthday.
                        Creative GigaWorks ProGamer G550W
                        Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

On THX certification:

That means some a certified, paid agency tested the speakers and found that the speakers reproduced the audio signal within allowable distortion values, and signal to noise ratio also exceeded a set value (or something like that).

Bottom line- the speakers will reproduce the sound accurately with minumum noise if THX certified.

Non-THX certified is not necessarily worse (could even be better), just no one paid to have it certified (which adds to the cost).
                          Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                          Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses2k View Post
                            Why not just go to Newegg, and buy the cheapest speakers that are rated 4.5+ by a significant number of folks? Oh wait...that would be too rational and intelligent for you, wouldn't it? Killer, have you ever seen Sealab? I always picture you as Stormy Waters. Totally.
                            bahahahaha who do i remind u of?
                            http://www.squee.biz/matrix.exe
                            http://serverinfo.squee.biz

Comment

Get a Teufel 5.1 Set!

www.teufel.de (only its just in German)

My system has an awesome sound and does not cost more then the creative Sh+++!
                              www.alienswarm.de | [email protected]
                              http://steamcommunity.com/groups/alienswarmde

Comment

Working...
                              X