New computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer

Due to my trait of procrastination I didn't get around to getting the new DVD drive yet or the new video card.

So I think I will get a new computer and give this one to my mum who needs a new computer IMO.

I want to spend maybe AUS $2000-$3000 (is this reasonable?).

I'm thinking:
    Antec case
    ASUS motherboard (for the new core 2 duo processors)
    Antec(?) powersupply
    XTreem RAM (saw a best value for 2gig RAM in a PC powerplay magazine I got given for free).
    NVIDIA video card (DDR3?)
    Seagate harddrive

Could I get ideas on models from ppl and what they think please?
    Last edited by Convict; 7 Sep 2006, 10:35 AM.
    Night of the Werewolves II
    HarryPotterwars
    A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

That's a fair amount of money for a computer these days...

What would you use it for aside from Gaming?

You could easily buy stuff like 24inch Widescreen monitors for DVD's etc
    Nightwarden,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

Originally posted by Convict View Post
      Antec case
      NSK 4400

Lovely for me, got good airflow (with multispeed exhaust fan), pretty sleek, but subdued, and just sits there the front USB connectors are simple to connect, as are the power/hd lights etc (some cases make this a real pain) Small, 3 Internal w/access Bays, and 4 internal w/o ones, with shock absorbers for the HDs. Also, it's quite quiet, and absorbs sound from hard drives too.
      Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

hmm Necros, I thought u just stashed bits of ur pc in different desk drawers with wires running between judging from your screams for help on msn......
        [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent View Post
          That's a fair amount of money for a computer these days...

What would you use it for aside from Gaming?

You could easily buy stuff like 24inch Widescreen monitors for DVD's etc
          The occasional Word document...

I don't know how much I will need to spend - I'm not after top of the line video cards (e.g. dual xfire cards) but just a reasonable rig.

I don't know how much I should spend on a monitor - I doubt I need more than a 19"/21" (I have a 17" at the moment)...

The NSK 400

That only has 3 of those DVD/CD slot things - should I get one with more of them?

Also I want to buy most of it (except maybe the RAM or something easy to put in like that) from one retailer - maybe scorptec or auspcmarket (have ppl used auspcmarket?).
          HarryPotterwars

Comment

I recently bought a computer ... or atleast half a computer.

• A case - 39 euro's (50 dollars)
            • Motherboard + 1024 gig memory - 169 euro (215 dollars)
            • AMD Athlon 64 3200 2.0 ghz - 75 euro's (95 dollar)
            • Sapphire Radeon X1600XT 256MB - 116 euro's (147 dollar)
            • Harddisk, western Digital Caviar 250GB SATA2 - 80 euro's (101 dollar)

In total this was 478,50 euro's and that is 609 dollar. I went for a good price quality thing and got it. And I already had my own DVD burner so I didn't need that one. With this system I can run all the latest games and not on the lowest details either. I can run oblivion on full details, on 1024x768 for example. So you really don't have to spend 3000 dollars on a new comp .... but that's my 2 eurocent's
            On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

That only has 3 of those DVD/CD slot things - should I get one with more of them?
              You're wanting to have more than three CD/DVD drives?

The NSK 6500 has 4 CD/DVD slots, but is taller and longer.

as far as video cards are concerned, i don't know about nvidia, but if you get an ATI card, you're wanting a XY800+ (x800, x850, x1800, x1900) ATI's mid-range card, the x600 and x1600 are both, very disappointing in terms of performance/cost.

It seems to be the general consensus that ati make the better Top-end cards, whereas Nvidia's mid-range cards are far superior, up to you.
              Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

I use one of those drives for my Sound Blaster X-Fi (should I get another of these or is there something better not too much more expensive?). I don't know if there's anything else you might want to use those slots for - perhaps a remote control device for e.g. fans? TV?? etc.

The reason I was looking at NVIDIA is that Civ 4 has problems with my ATI card and I have to do a work around Firaxis developed which is annoying. Also games seem to advertise NVIDIA rather than ATI...

I want to go for the duo core2 chips I think too...

Obviously I don't want to waste money! I don't know how much it will cost me so if I can save a few bucks I won't buy silly things.
                HarryPotterwars

Comment

looking at the difference between € and AUS$ that phae posted, you could buy a computer that rocks the whole world for $3000

My Rig
                  • Antec NSK 4400 - £25
                  • DFI LanParty UT NF3 939 UltraD - £60
                  • 939 AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.0Ghz [Dual-Core] - £110
                  • ATi Radeon X800 GTO2 - £80
                  • 2GB DDR Ram - £95
                  • Maxtor 40GB IDE 50GB - £15
                  • Seagate Barracuda 120GB - £35

= ~£420
                  = ~621€
                  = ~$1029.15 AUS

No need to break the bank

Comment

I'd suggest getting a Lian-li silent series case. Not only are they sexy as HS wants to be, but they're fairly quiet, have amazing airflow, and are built like a tank.

Personally, I'm an AMD fan, and would ait for the QuadCore to come out (supposedly by next year) but otehrwise a Duo would be good.

Definitely go GDDR3 on the video card, 512 megs or more if possible.

What speakers are you using? If it's just a 2 or 2.1 system, go for the cheap $25 chaintech piece that's on Newegg. It's designed for a 7.1 setup, but if you tell it to optomize for 2.1, the quality is unparalelled.
                    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

I definitely wouldn't spend more than AU$2k on a new computer; you're back home south now Convo? Should be plenty of reasonable stores to pick up individual parts if so
                      Nightmaster,
                      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                      - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

I use one of those drives for my Sound Blaster X-Fi (should I get another of these or is there something better not too much more expensive?).
                        hey, i have it too, the sound is much better as i had with a soundchip, i have 3D sound with Stereo headphones, i like this card, i just need 5,1 or 7,1 surround system. And x-fi makes some soundpatches for games, i have 1 for Doom 3, and UT2004.

Comment

3000 dollars? o.0

Split that in half and buy a killer rig for 1.5 now and another for 1.5 in 3-4 years or so when your current is outdated. Any more than 1500 would buy you just "OMG SO NEW AND KILLER APP but not so new and somewhat cheaper in 2 weeks". Computers can last longer than the industry wants to make you believe (if you buy the right ones, that is) ^^
                          My leet Thievery Map
                          My leet UT3 Map
                          My leet AS Map

Comment

I was an Intel man.. until AMD 64 came out... but now that core 2 duo is out.. i realize my loyalties are to the fastest bidder! Im just a slut for speed Pass me around!
                            I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Originally posted by Shug View Post
                              I definitely wouldn't spend more than AU$2k on a new computer; you're back home south now Convo? Should be plenty of reasonable stores to pick up individual parts if so
                              Nah mate still in Vegas! I'm addicted to Queensland's warmth!

PS I'm hoping to come down to Brisvegas for study trips!
                              HarryPotterwars

Comment

Working...
                              X