New computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specs before I buy

Hi guys thanks for the input. I called Scorptec to get some advice on the motherboard like Immort said. So here are the almost final specs before I buy - please tell me if any need to be changed.

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    $499

Motherboard - I was recommended this motherboard by the Scorptec guy because it is the newest?new? chipset P5B:
    ASUS P5B
    $235

HD - I like the "Higher Reliability Enterprise Level Storage" advertised about it:
    Seagate ST3250620NS
    $155

Case:
    Antec SOLO
    $149
    It says it has 4x 5.25" Ext. but the bottom one looks funny. Is it a multifunction slot? Can I put 4 of these things in (e.g. 2 x CD or DVD drives, a sound card drive, and one for e.g. a tv remote).

Powersupply:
    Antec TP2-550EPS12V
    $185

Monitor:
    Samsung 204B-Black
    $639

Mouse and Keyboard:
    Microsoft A4B-00008
    $55

DVD/CD Writer:
    Sony DRU820A Internal IDE 16x Dual Layer DVD Multi Drive
    $99

External HD:
    Seagate ST3120203U2-RK
    $159

Video Card:
    GeCube X1900 is out of stock there. I can only find some obscure brands of X1900 at Scorptec such as HIS. Obviously it would be a lot more convient to get it all at Scorptec...
    What do you guys think?

RAM:
    I was told by the Scorptec guy to choose DDR2 RAM.
    Rodent would you still go with the OCZ2G8002GK RAM for the ASUS P5B?

Is there anything I forgot to include? This is looking at about $3000 - did I buy anything that was too expensive there? I don't really mind paying it but it was suggested that I should get away with $2000.
    ---------------------------------------------
    For my mum's computer:
    Soundcard:
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/18607

Headphones:
    Sennheiser PC-150

Thanks again guys.
    Night of the Werewolves II
    HarryPotterwars
    A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Comment

I too am looking for a new rig.. even tho it's only been 6 months since my last upgrade.. which was 5 months after my last upgrade before that...

But i'm starting to realize that I dont need a huge case and ridiculously high priced power supplies are a waste. I have a raidmax power supply and i've never had a single problem with it. I'm not saying you should buy a $20 power supply because you do need some voltage regulation, but power supplies are a bit too hyped for what they do as far as regulation.. and a lot of it is just name brand pricing.

And realize that these new chip architectures don't need the same power that the old Prescotts needed, we've gone smaller and cooler and still faster. So ideally, we all need tiny 12 inch screen laptops, with 2G RAM, core 2 duo 6800 EE, 7900GTX vidcards, and 100Gig 7200RPM HD. Then we can do external monitor, mouse, extra HDs, and speakers.

Or at the very most, a small form factor PC, with everything still external, but configured for RAID or just with more internal HD's .
      I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

You guys should check out what this guy's putting together. He knows his shit. --> http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthre...5&page=1&pp=15

Comment

Originally posted by okih-imus View Post
          You guys should check out what this guy's putting together. He knows his shit. --> http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthre...5&page=1&pp=15
          Hey! There's a guy there using your name! but anything less than a Core2Extreme 6800 is a waste.. especially with quadcore coming out in november

Comment

It's not a waste, don't be stupid. It's waaay overpriced for its performance. the E6300 is a great chip, cheaper and better than the AMD alternative.
            Heck, i'm running an athlon 2500+,512 pc3200 ram, and i'm keeping pace with the latest games! you're just power hungry!
            wait a sec...quad core...THIS NOVEMBER???

Comment

Originally posted by okih-imus View Post
              wait a sec...quad core...THIS NOVEMBER???
              Well the article is a few months old, but they say late this year, early next year in this article:

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6038148.html

somewhere else I saw November.

Comment

Sorry to sound like a nag but can anyone help a bit on the RAM and video card choices and what I should do about them?

Has anyone heard bad stuff about the ASUS Geforce 7950GT?
                Last edited by Convict; 6 Oct 2006, 08:25 PM.
                Night of the Werewolves II
                HarryPotterwars
                A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Comment

Working...
                X