Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.M.A.R.T. reports NTFS Drive as "Status: BAD"

Code:
    Ultra DMA MODE-2 S.M.A.R.T. Capable & Status: BAD - Backup & Replace  ... Press F1 to continue
    Well, got that msg this morning on boot up. Never seen it before. My comp finaly booted on desktop after 3 attemp. I actualy back up everything. Any idea on what appened? I did a few search, but nothing really sucessfull. The HDD will probably break soon, no? How many time i will last?
    My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
    And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Originally posted by NoData View Post
    Well, got that msg this morning on boot up. Never seen it before. My comp finaly booted on desktop after 3 attemp. I actualy back up everything. Any idea on what appened? I did a few search, but nothing really sucessfull. The HDD will probably break soon, no? How many time i will last?
    Well for the obvious answer, I'd say your hdd is going bad.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

FS on the drive is irrellevant, it's physically becoming corrupted, ur HD is running out of reallocation blocks...

When this happens, it's better to be safe than sorry... back important stuff up to another HD, or Network or something, and have an OS CD ready for when it goes tits-up

(on another note, UDMA 2? that's very slow...)
      Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Its a damn hold drive! 6 years, a 30gig maxtor 7200rpm. Yup, only UDMA2, he cant do better! Now that i have back up everything, including all the pron, i need to get a new one. Never installed a SATA hdd. So i need some info:

#1: i have another IDE drive and i want to hold it, did an IDE drive need to be the primary one if i have a SATA one in the box? Or i can set them as i want in the Bios? Caus the SATA slot appear 3rd and 4th.
        #2: except the plug and probably a few bios setting (wich ones?), did i have to do something special or i can split a SATA drive as any standart IDE hdd?
        #3: Brand? Both of my old HDD are from Maxtor, and wow, they survived really longer than expected. I know WD ones have a lot of failures, they cost less, but they are cheeper. I dont care about pay a few more box to get something better. It was a 30gig, and it was mostly enough for me, i dont need a 500gig one! quality before quantity! Any suggestion?

Ho, if you know a good guide to introduce me to the SATA world, link please.
        My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
        And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Comment

sata is channel independant but needs to be set as master for best results.if you just want it as main hard drive no need to set raid up ,also look in bios for settings if you have them
          also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

Sata has no master or slave, also it's a myth that slave drives are slower than master, there is no priority, the terms master and slave are misleading.

Backing up the data and getting a new drive is the right thing to do - the drive may not actually fail for another 5 years, or it may fail tomorrow, it's certainly not reliable anymore. I don't have problems with either WD or Seagate, but i never liked Maxtor. When getting a new drive it's a good idea not to take the highest capacity model of a certain range but one or two sizes smaller, as those drives will have less platters and less heads, give off less heat, have less mechanical stress and are thus more reliable.
            [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
            Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
              Well for the obvious answer, I'd say your hdd is going bad.
              So sayeth Captain obvious! LOL

Comment

Working...
              X