Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TafferBoy
    replied
    My example of the soldiers was that they are sooooo over the top, that a simple guard would have at least some colour & fashion to him.

You can take it or leave it, but I think he looks more like he would be stealing stuff rather than guarding it. He might look out of place guarding a nice mansion or manor-house, standing next to those ornate furnishings you made.

Leave a comment:

• Thebos
    replied
    Guard looks real good- near perfect- but the head does seem a bit off as others have mentioned.

The ears seem a bit low to me, and that throws things off (the rest looks fine). Compare with the "early days" ref picture- ear position seems more natural. I believe the position of the ear canal should be about where the top of the ear is now and the top should be just above the eye. I think that little tweak would make the head look more natural.

All in all though, very nice work.

Leave a comment:

• Inq
    replied
    Well, you've got to make sure you distinguish between what's a soldier and what's a guard. I made sure to google up guards and not army men. I gave him some puffy trousers and stuff, making him look like a bit of a dandy, but didn't go nuts with it. I'd stick by my general design as I think it's pretty accurate. Just the implementation is bad for me.

Leave a comment:

• TafferBoy
    replied
    perhaps not Spanish, but like I pictured a more modern looking guard for NB to fit the period, well-paid, fairly well-dressed and lightly armoured. As opposed to TUT's medieval knight.

Leave a comment:

• -KewlAzMe-
    replied
    ^^ looks like Captain Hook!
    Thieves vs Pirates?

Leave a comment:

• TafferBoy
    replied
    love the mustache, definately keep the facial hair.

If you made his pants and shirt puffy, striped and colourful he would have a great Napoleonic period look. Maybe some Ornamentation on his breat-plate as well.
    As is, he looks drab and medieval.

Quick google search and look at these dandy idiots. If you want to match the period furniture you need to think flamboyant imo.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3451/spainheavypikemanjv6.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D153692&usg=__TIwdDy_B-LzQSQidgIQ_PgtcBrM=&h=589&w=764&sz=180&hl=en&start =16&um=1&tbnid=Iidb_ljhI-4D1M:&tbnh=109&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3DNapoleonic%2BPikeman%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26sa%3DX

Leave a comment:

• Inq
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Like you guys said, there's things wrong with the guard. Many things are there that I don't like so I'm not going to be running into the path to defend it. I don't think there's any actual problems with the design. I quite like the armour plate and all that. If I were to simplify it, I'd be afraid that it'd look really boring. I did jazz it up a bit, I admit. I must leap to the defence of the poor bloke who's head you're slagging off! I found his face on a mugshot site and thought it was a good'un for a gruff guard. I suppose I must've modelled slightly off. If I were continuing with the guard, I wouldn't do anything mad like creating different versions for fancier areas. Afterall, in multiplayer games the human guards would just be running around like headless chickens all over a map anyway. I expect that there will only be one guard model and one thief model, perhaps at the most with slightly different head shapes. For making the guards look different would only be done by changing hair colour, adding/removing facial hair and changing some general textures. There's no sense in adding in unnecessary extra work. A guy from Blitz, eh Nachimir? Those guys turned me down for a work placement one or two years ago. I've got go to them again and grovel for a job sometime soon. Hopefully I'll be able to convince them to take me on. A heads up, I've now done some "Upper Class - Drawers".

Leave a comment:

• Nachimir
    replied
    The proportions on the guard's head are definitely quite strange, but anatomy is a very difficult thing to get right without scads of experience. We had an artist from Blitz at one of our events a few weeks ago, talking about the trend for even commercial game characters to have "hamster hands"

Great work on the furniture Inq, and I love the class system naming convention.

Leave a comment:

• -KewlAzMe-
    replied
    i think its more the forehead is a bit heavy for his eyes to hold up.. but I'd really like to see it animated. And no goose-stepping nazi style

Leave a comment:

• FatRatHead
    replied
    No they're not, equal opportunities! I've once seen a lithuanian who looked like a fish...

Leave a comment:

• Schleicher
    replied
    Arent the eyes abit too far apart on the guard model? Prolly just me tho.

Whatever, noice!

Leave a comment:

• MageofFolenn
    replied
    That's a great model keep it up mate.

Leave a comment:

• Tafferton
    replied
    Originally posted by Inq View Post
    Cheers guys. Thanks for the short and sweet thumbs up, Illuminus, and thanks for the inappropriately farfetched gratitude, Tafferton.
    What, no hug?

Anyway, that doesn't look blobby at all. I thought you meant it was total crap. It has some problems, but I like it except for the head.

You should know, however, that I know what was really going on here. You were just trying to hide the fact that this model is a result of your William H. Macy fetish.

But aside from my stupidity, that model isn't a blob at all.

Leave a comment:

• Kasto
    replied
    Seems nice but the plate parts look a bit too expensive for a simple guard. Would expect something flatter for a simple watchman in some old kitchen. Kind of like the original concept.

You could always go with the same approach as you did with the furniture and make three or two slightly different guard outfits. So the guards at the main gallery have a fancier armour becouse the lord wants to show off his wealth to the quests but the guards in the back areas have to do with the simple designs.

Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• Inq
    replied
    Cheers guys. Thanks for the short and sweet thumbs up, Illuminus, and thanks for the inappropriately farfetched gratitude, Tafferton.

I can show the "blobby" guard. I had it uploaded from quite a while back. It's not the worst thing in the world, but whenever I look at it I get irritated by it. Also, it doesn't match the thief character in style, so I wouldn't go with it. The main problems were that the normal map just didn't come out right and I got extremely lazy when it came to the hair.

The guard himself as a model is pretty solid. The right sort of polygon count and what I believe to be a good solid topology. However, what lets it down is the texturing and most definitely the normal map. I don't know if I did it incorrectly or what, but I need a lot more experience with that before I'm going to be making stuff I'm happy with. If Illuminus wants to work on a guard model off my design, I'm more than happy to go down that route. At the moment he doesn't match Illuminus' thief in style at all, so that's one of the reasons why I packed it in. I reckon if I were to re-do the texturing for the guard I could probably do a better job now, but we'll see where to go with it when the time comes.

Below is the original concept design. He looks a bit like a spanish conquistador, but I used reference pics to make him look like the right period English guard. The helmet I would've modelled separately so that it could be knocked off his head.

And here's the 3D model non-textured. At this point I did think he was looking pretty good. I could actually return to it from this point, change his hair and face topology a little bit and unwrap him again.

So that's my guard model effort early on. I probably could do a better job on him this time around if I put my mind to it. I've completely changed my approach to texturing and seem to be doing better for it. It's better to try and mantain some consistency with Illuminus' and Cythes' work though.

As it stands, this model isn't going any further.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X