Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Unreal 3.0 and not Source?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why Unreal 3.0 and not Source?

    I was just wandering why the devs decided to go with Unreal 3.0. One of the reasons would be due to prior experience with the Unreal engine.

    However does that out weigh the community of the Source engine? It was specifically made for the PC platform and now Epic is shifting focus toward consoles.

    http://kotaku.com/367219/unreal-engi...nsoles-not-pcs

    Double back stab for the win on them. I think that Night Blade can be done on source, ever played Zombie Panic? (www.zombiepanic.org)

    What about you guys? Also devs please respond. Thank you .

    screenshots
    http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php

  • #2
    I'm no dev... but I think you answered it with the Experience part. Even tho AS:I will be Source, but its a completely different game.

    Also, last time I researched it (briefly).. HL2 doesn't quite have the shadow stuff worked out. The shadows in HL2 were faked.. they didn't really cast a real dynamic shadow as far as proper light occlusion. So thieves in a shadow weren't really in a shadow, just a bright area with an alpha colored over the top. Plus I think Unreal usually gives 100% of the script code, just not the engine code. Where as Source hides the engine and the renderer or something. (sorry for the half-confident answer, but I think I'm down the right path)

    There are probably other reasons the devs had but I think that's a start.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

    Comment


    • #3
      Ah I see, interesting.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
        I'm no dev... but I think you answered it with the Experience part. Even tho AS:I will be Source, but its a completely different game.

        Also, last time I researched it (briefly).. HL2 doesn't quite have the shadow stuff worked out. The shadows in HL2 were faked.. they didn't really cast a real dynamic shadow as far as proper light occlusion. So thieves in a shadow weren't really in a shadow, just a bright area with an alpha colored over the top. Plus I think Unreal usually gives 100% of the script code, just not the engine code. Where as Source hides the engine and the renderer or something. (sorry for the half-confident answer, but I think I'm down the right path)

        There are probably other reasons the devs had but I think that's a start.
        At least your not trying to show him how to build an atom bomb this time

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ghostly apparition View Post
          At least your not trying to show him how to build an atom bomb this time
          Well as the last post showed, immort was already planning that. See Great minds think alike!
          I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
            Well as the last post showed, immort was already planning that. See Great minds think alike!
            Wrong thread chimpy. but nice try LOL

            Yeah, I read what immort said. Good job.
            I just couldn't resist the comedy opportunity.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ghostly apparition View Post
              Wrong thread chimpy. but nice try LOL
              referring to the last post about the topic gramps.. try to keep up
              I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

              Comment


              • #8
                I haven't tried to make anything for Source before, so I'm not going to comment in detail on the pros and cons. I have spent the last 3-4 years learning the ins and outs of the Unreal Engine 2 though, so experience is certainly a strong factor. The fact that we can draw upon our existing body of work is nice too.

                Frankly neither engine is perfectly suitable for what we're using it for, but part of the UE2->UE3 development was focused on the lighting system, while I believe Source hasn't had that push yet. Lighting is pretty crucial for a shadow based stealth game.
                Immortius' Forge

                Comment


                • #9
                  Source uses pre-rendered / burnt shadowmaps, rendered and overlaid at compile time similar to quake. As far as i'm aware, all dynamic light setups within source are simply prerendered at compile and saved into the bsp file itself.

                  Not that the system is bad, precalcing the lighting produces some very impressive lighting effects, however it's not really what is needed for a dynamic stealth game like night blade.

                  Also, UE3 has a drastically improved defered 'photorealistic' lighting engine (also making Multisampling a thing of the past )
                  Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wanted to make a TF2 map and i found myself literally blocked from doing anything because it all was so unlike UED. "Now in UED i would just"..."Hey in UED i could just"....."BLAAGRG why are you not UED".

                    My vote goes to familiarity too
                    My leet Thievery Map
                    My leet UT3 Map
                    My leet AS Map

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've tried modding for both engines and as far as I'm aware the only thing that gives an ease on the mind in Source is the editor, for mapping only. The rest is a nightmare and you have to go through a ton of work just to get a texture to appear.

                      As an artist I'd pick uED any day. If I want a texture in, I just import it and uED does the magic, last time I used Hammer I had to import it into a WAD file and these days you even have to convert it with some odd utility. If I'm not mistaken the workflow to get characters into the engine still involves qc compiling and configs. (To get a custom playable character for UT3 is a nightmare - worth to note that I'm talking about TCs...)

                      The only positive thing about Source is because it has a bigger community but I can't see in any way how it would be better for a mod developer at all. Unreal Script is the most easy learnt code I've ever touched and I'm in love with Kismet and Matinee for making maps more interesting.

                      I'm sorry if I sound like a fanboy, but I was in love with Hammer back in the days when it was still called Worldcraft - now it just feels bloated.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X