Colors in Nicknames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel that validates my point.

seriously though, its a question of personal preference. People should be able to do whatever they like. If people happen to find that 'annoying' then that doesn't mean its 'abusive'.
    .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

People should be able to do whatever they like.
      Right, so if the devs don't want it, they can do what they like and not bother putting it in.

Oh, and it's spelt colour...
      well, obviously...
      [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

Originally posted by ]>CoD<[Chief View Post
        Right, so if the devs don't want it, they can do what they like and not bother putting it in.
        noo..! you dont mean that? ^^

Originally posted by necros View Post
        Oh, and it's spelt colour...
        yes, you are right, "colour" is one of the two correct spellings of the word.
        .: Infiltrator - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

www.youtube.com/user/Richard413

Comment

Originally posted by ]>CoD<[Chief View Post
          I see how you used my own argument out of context to agree with my position .

Just seemed to me that if a player has 'poor taste' then they should abandon hopes of a career as an interior decorator. But that doesn't make them a 'griefer'. The internet is full of annoying people (right now I'm being one of them), thick-skins are in order.

Imo, the only plausible argument against 'coloured names' used in this thread is that the devs have better things to work on - to which I agree wholeheartedly.
          Last edited by TafferBoy; 19 May 2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LoUie View Post
            no need to exaggerate, we already have enuff of that here for the last time XD

to add a color of two to your nickname to make it look nice/cool in anyway isnt foolishness. its in several huge games already from big companies, now you dont think companies like ID software etc would add FOOLISHNESS to their games now? thought so. yet another exaggerate ;>
            I was stating my opinion of colors in names. I think its foolishness. Doesn't add anything to the game as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I think companies would add colors to their games even if they thought it foolishness, if it would help sell games. Get real. Companies make games to sell games and make money. They would make a game about a big pink gay elephant if they thought it would sell millions of copies.

All that aside, as I said earlier it makes absolutely no difference to me if they make the names colors or not. Is there any reason I shouldn't have the option to turn it off or are you just intent on inflicting your color name on me come hell or high water?

Comment

This subject is branching out into an international argument tree!

On the colors, I don't really give a rip if someone uses one color for their name and it only shows on the scoreboard. Now if they're going rainbow and I can't shut it off, thereby spraining my eyeballs from a funky blue-red contrast, I'll have to sue for pain and suffering.

It seems it's not so much the color that's at issue, but rather the potential for dangerous rainbow proliferation. We could deal with it like the SALT treaty, allowing only a select group of people to use rainbow power for the win, while compensating other groups in return for remaining monochrome. Or perhaps the temptation toward polychromism is too strong for any mortal to resist, and we should never speak of it again.

Concerning the British argument: Although I can hardly argue that America isn't riddled with ignorance, I too am of the opinion that British people have a British accent and Americans (unless they're from the south or Upper Peninsula Michigan) have no accent. Granted, the Brits spoke English long before the colonists, but I cannot abide by the British pronunciation of "Aluminum". They talk funny!

Also, I work with a lady from Trinidad....I think she's incapable of saying '35'. Whenever she calls over the PA for a price check, it's always "Turty-Fiveuh!"
              Last edited by Spidey; 19 May 2008, 10:29 PM. Reason: Trinidad

Comment

Hey rainbows were totally happening in the '60s man - flowa powa dood

Having a toggle option would be easy, so I don't take the 'mine eyes the goggles do nothing' to be a forceful argument.

'turty five' eh, try getting her to say 'I brush my teeth'.

Comment

Using a coloured nickname in the scoreboard to distinguish yourself from others would make sense. This way only your own name would be coloured and others would see their own coloured name to tell themselves from others without any hassle.

Generally I am wondering what are we members doing discussing colours and shades in names instead of talking about more important stuff while it still can be implemented. What I want to say by this is that people are eager to discuss and are ready to talk through anything, we just do not start topics anymore.

Lou could've submitted this as a feature in the NB project subforum, it wouldn't get as crowded then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostly apparition View Post
                    I was stating my opinion of colors in names. I think its foolishness. Doesn't add anything to the game as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I think companies would add colors to their games even if they thought it foolishness, if it would help sell games. Get real. Companies make games to sell games and make money. They would make a game about a big pink gay elephant if they thought it would sell millions of copies.
                    that didnt make sense. first of all you're right, it doesnt add anything to the GAME itself. and the companies adds it as a small extra fun option, nothing more. now you seriously dont think that adding a small little extra option like coloring your nickname would make people wanna buy the game more?! YOU get real! you said it yourself, it doesnt add anything to the game as far as you're concerned.

id seriously lmao if i were to buy a pc game and check out the features at the back like "new weapons!" "multiplayer coop possible!" "5 new DM maps!" sure, then also ofc "now you can even color your NICKNAME!!1"

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostly apparition View Post
                      Companies make games to sell games and make money. They would make a game about a big pink gay elephant if they thought it would sell millions of copies.
                      Big Pink Gay Elephant you say?!! Tell me more!
                      I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

If it was possible to colour the name...to stop abuse...you could just limit the colours they can use(At the server admins discretion).
                        Your order has been dispatched!

Comment

Well I suggested players would see only their own colour customisation - others would stay unchanged. This way users could quench their twisted desires without annoying other people.

Comment

Originally posted by FatRatHead View Post
                            Well I suggested players would see only their own colour customisation - others would stay unchanged. This way users could quench their twisted desires without annoying other people.
                            ehm no. either the option is availble or it isnt, theres nothing inbetween here, cause making everybody able to se others nickname is quite a big POINT of the whole thing aswell.

Comment

Obviously you need the ability to annoy other players by means other than skill.

Comment

I agree FRH, it would be better to discuss more substantive issues, but this is fun nevertheless lol.

Consider the following examples:

M2 joins the server, he sports the nickname "MoDeTwo". This annoys another player - Gladius, who thinks that alternating caps look ugly. Is M2 exhibiting abusive behaviour? Should M2 be kicked from the server for his poor choice of handle?

Next Louie joins the server, he sports the nickname "Louie". This annoys a few male players who, feeling fragile about their sexuality, are enraged by the colour pink. Is Louie exhibiting abusive behaviour? Should Louie be kicked from the server for his poor choice of handle?

- I see no real difference between these situations. In both cases, the 'offending' player has not done anything that is truly offensive or abusive. Therefore, they do not deserve to be kicked. Therefore I see nothing wrong with coloured nicknames, especially if you can turn it off.

Comment

Working...
                                X