Melee combat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melee combat.

How are you planning to do the swords? I hope you aren't making them too similar to thievery since the swordfights there were rather boring.

Instead, maybe a swordfighting system like jedi knight 2 should be developped.
    The movement of you sword slashes matches the way you move. So if for instance you move right and slash, you'd perform a wide slash to the right. If you'd press forward and slash, you perform an overhead slash. Etc. etc.

Offer two different stances. Offensive and Defensive.
    Offensive is ment for allout combat, the slashes in this stance are the most powerfull... however, with the defensive stance you're also able to block attacks and thus don't have to rely so much on your ability to dodge by moving.

Some example moves with their stances.

Slash

Offensive: A Diagonal slash.

Defensive: Holding up the sword to your face
    (not a slash, but rather a move more like the Thievery style blocking. Blocks regular slashes, horizontal and overhead slashes aimed to the upper frontal part of the body and the head)

Forward + Slash

Offensive: A powerfull overhead swing.

Defensive: A quick stab forward
    Not as powerfull as the overhead swing, but it's very fast and able to block regular slashes.

Sideways + Slash

Offensive: A wide swing sideways.

Defensive: A diagonal swing sideways
    Doesn't cover as much terrain, but it's able to block all slashes except slashes coming from the other direction.

That's just to inspire.

Why not just use a shield for blocking?...

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
      Why not just use a shield for blocking?...
      It's not as fun.

Comment

As I demonstrated to a couple of the other testers (I won't embarrass them here ) skillful use of the shield and careful timing of your attacks means that 2 on 1 isn't so unfair all of a sudden. Even with my clumsy blocking and striking I managed to kill two of them at once repeatedly and even with one of them sniping I'd get in a couple of kills before I died each time.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of skill is involved in mastering the current combat system without making it more complicated.
        One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
        -
        The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

The direction + fire to do different moves code is in (though disabled until the next 2k3 patch comes out, due to a bug in their attachment code!). :swordthi:

Comment

The UT2K3 engine's got everything... almost.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
              The UT2K3 engine's got everything... almost.
              Does it mean NightBlade will include realistic dismembering and decapitation ?

Comment

Yes! Well, I'm not sure about realistic, but definitely violent.

Comment

Cut off arms and legs everywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Dalai
                    The direction + fire to do different moves code is in (though disabled until the next 2k3 patch comes out, due to a bug in their attachment code!). :swordthi:
                    Awesome

*goes to practise swordfighting on his dog*

Comment

Well, I look informed don't I? :?

At least it means there will be even more scope for skill in the combat system than there already is *cough*
                      -

Comment

More important perhaps. Will we have attack animations?

That was the only thing I thought TUT lacked...

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                          More important perhaps. Will we have attack animations?

That was the only thing I thought TUT lacked...
                          Hopefully yes once this patch is released for skeletal animations. From what I gather you will be able to anticipate attacks and dodge them from the animations of the other player....lag permitting of course
                          -

Comment

Yes, lag is a problem... but yeah, they'll be full attack animations!

Comment

Yes, lag is a problem... but yeah, they'll be full attack animations!
                              There already are....

Comment

Working...
                              X