ARE YOU INSANE?!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARE YOU INSANE?!!?

WEll, are you? i mean, we're all happy with Thievery, which will run on nyone's machine, but i'm having trouble with UT2k3 right now because it's telling my 1.5 ghz box that it's running at 133 mhz! Anyway, it'll hurt the players in both games, since there are times even now when there's NOBODY playing thievery, and with half of the people going to nightblade, i doubt there'll be enough people ot be worth playing either.

Besides, thievery isn't even done yet.

Sorry, i'm just having trouble coping here.
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

I felt the same way at first, but in this past day, I've changed my mind.

1: The fact that theres noone on the servers even now sometimes. A new, more modern game should fix that.
    2: Personally, thievery is getting a bit stale for me. OMG yeah, I know I know. But really. Maybe nightblade won't have so much downtime...which is my biggest prob with TUT.
    3: I was worried about nightblade at first cause I don't have UT2k3...and then I figured, by the time its released, I should be able to get a copy pretty damn cheap.

As for your problem, I have no idea...
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

Comment

It's thta when i got the game, it had a scratch down the center of the CD, rendering it so thta the installer didn't think my computer would be able to run it.

I'm serious, therer will bo the few people who play thievery now spread across two games, making it harder to find a nice full server to play in.
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Thievery: High learning curve, patience required = Small player base

Nightblade: Fast learning curve, faster paced action = Much larger player base

Nightblade = Winnar!

And don't complain about your computer can't run UT2003, cause if you do it means you won't get to play Thief 3 neither. So go get upgraded.

Comment

Thievery isn't dead, and it won't die (at least not for a long time). Remember, Nightblade is still in early produtction, there's a lot of stuff to be done yet.

Comment

MB, shut up. my computer can run the game, it's thta UT2K3 doesn't think it can.

Modetwo, you've voiced the only words of comfort i've heard on the subject at all.

Well, now, i'm off to 7 hours of gruelling outdoor drilling and marching in full sun and 90 degree weather to help wash this from my mind for now. i'll get back to you later after i think about it some more.

Comment

For christ's sake, stop rushing your posts to the point where you hardly make any sense.

Thievery will continue along its path for x amount of months anyway, so you'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea of switching. Personally I think that it's a very good option at this stage; the number of players won't be growing significantly at any point in a UT1-based game, and it really needs to for a mod to survive.

I don't like the fact that I now need more memory and a new video card but shit happens.
              Nightmaster,
              .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
              - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

I think NightBlade will split the Thievery community into two parts. Those who will stay true to just Thievery (e.g. because they can't afford to upgrade their computers) and those who will be able to play NightBlade. I personally feel this division will - eventually - lead to thievery's demise.

On the other hand however if NightBlade were to incorporate the game types and maps from Thievery updated for NightBlade I can see the switch being far easier, not just in gameplay terms but in guilds too. Think of Turf Wars being in NightBlade where all the guilds which made the switch keep their new Turf and the new NightBlade maos would be shared out. (we'll have to see what LR says about that )

Surely TvG in NightBlade will be the same? Patience required etc.

Anyway, it'll hurt the players in both games, since there are times even now when there's NOBODY playing thievery, and with half of the people going to nightblade, i doubt there'll be enough people ot be worth playing either.

Besides, thievery isn't even done yet.
                This is more to Dalai but- Will Thievery ever be completely finished? After all one of your posts says you're getting bored bug fixing Thievery over the last 3 years, does this signify that NightBlade's development after public release will Definately be the end of TuT's development?

the number of players won't be growing significantly at any point in a UT1-based game, and it really needs to for a mod to survive.
                Think of counter-strike it's based round Half Life 1? It's number of players will continue to grow- Why? because (crazy ) people like it. The same goes for Thievery. How many of those who have played Thievery only ever got UT just to play Thievery?

Also Thievery has been named in PC Gamer (uk) recently as the best multiplayer mod of the moment- Think about it- all those mods for ut2k3 that are around or coming out and the magazine picks on one from old UT- it just proves something
                [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Originally posted by [E.D.G
                  Chief]Surely TvG in NightBlade will be the same? Patience required etc.
                  Guild War is the primary gametype! TvG will be there, but i doubt it will play the same as TUT TvG. Mainly because of the general gameplay changes. It's possible the gametype could be tweaked and remove some of the movement features and thief equipment found in GW, but it won't be like original TvG and i doubt it will require the same amount of patience.

Comment

:? shame it was the patience I liked in Thievery 8) being stealthy and watching those who aren't being instantly slaughtered by the ai
                    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                      Nightblade: Fast learning curve, faster paced action = Much larger player base
                      Nightblade = Winnar!
                      well i don't agree with that. also cs has fast learning curve and is fast paced action and it sucks

and Thief1/2 has high learning curve and patience required and it is one of best games, and i do not care that lots of people can't play it, because it is too hard for their brains

and i do not care about huge community

Comment

Yes... Cs sucks. But nontheless it has the biggest fanbase for a game... ever.

And as a developer wouldn't you rather have a very popular mod, then one that only have between 0 and 20 players playing it at the same time...?

Comment

Originally posted by koraX
                          well i don't agree with that. also cs has fast learning curve and is fast paced action and it sucks
                          Yet somehow it has a huge community and fanbase.
                          JM

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                            Yes... Cs sucks. But nontheless it has the biggest fanbase for a game... ever.

And as a developer wouldn't you rather have a very popular mod, then one that only have between 0 and 20 players playing it at the same time...?
                            Yes, but whores don't do customers for free either.
                            ]V[]V[

Comment

Hey, I just realised we haven't been answering his question.

ARE YOU INSANE?!!?
                              Umm...YES!?
                              Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
                              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X