This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a good thing...

Ok, Ok, Having read the whole nightblade page and read the large majority of the posts in this forum, I have come to this conclusion..

Nightblade, is a good thing... think about it...

1) No more [wining voice]"I wanna theif! you bastard!"[/wining voice] because both teams are thieves in the guildwar gametype

2) Change is good, people dont like change, but ultimately it's for the best.

3) It should keep the main aspects of Thievery close to it's core, such as ghosting and combat, except the combat is deeper than the frankly shallow experiance in TUT.

4) Thievery will still be here, new people attracted by this new mod may try out TUT also!

5) it's obvious that Dalai and chums have gotten board with screwing around with an old, out of date engine, and who blames them?? With the new enthusiasm created by this Nightblade they will pour more love into a game which we will no doubt play to death.

They've very kindly announced this before it's released and given us the oppertuinity to suggest ideas for the final version, now stop complaining and get posting ideas!
    ~TuF~

Seems like Dalai popped quite the can of spam.

Seriously, if it's totally awesome and you wanna crap your pants, that's your buisness, but wasn't it a little unnecessary to start a new thread for this?
    Same goes for a few of the other threads too.
    ]V[]V[

Comment

I agree. Nightblade = good. If the devs do a good job (and I have total faith that they will) this could be the game I've been waiting for.

There are not games that are out, or even coming out that i'm close to interested in. This is strange for me, a guy who likes doing lots of different stuff, but I get bored with the same old...

RTS is old. FPS is old. Even stealth is getting old. Some of the fusion games sound interesting (i.e. Savage) but Nightblade sounds like my kind of game. Pure and simple fun combat/stealth action adventure RPG! Ok, maybe not simple, but sound like fun!
      Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
        3) It should keep the main aspects of Thievery close to it's core, such as ghosting and combat, except the combat is deeper than the frankly shallow experiance in TUT.
        I certainly hope so, but I'm doubtful about some points. They've already said that the gameplay is going to be faster-paced, for instance. That worries me. One of the things that attracted me to Thievery was that it WASN'T fast-paced, that patience and careful setup could pay off bigtime.

I'd agree combat in Thievery is a "shallow" experience, but again, combat is not what drew me to it. Combat is not the core experience in Thievery. If combat were what I was after, I wouldn't play Thievery, I'd play one of the other combat-oriented games. What I like about Thievery is that it's a game that's won by outwitting your opponents, not by outfighting them. It sounds like NightBlade is aiming to change that.

I'm sure they'll do a marvellous job with the game, I'm just not sure it's what I'll want to play. However, if they put as much effort into making it the THINKING game that Thievery is (as opposed to the twitchclick games so many other FPS's are), it's something I'll definitely be interested in. I'd love to see Thievery's gameplay taken to the UT2003 engine.

Comment

I agree, I hope the game is not *TOO* fast, and the aspects we all know and love about thievery are lost.

If this game is going to be too fast, I don't know if I can play it. Regular UT bothers my eyes. The fast pace motion, it almost makes me sick. I used to get seizures when I was a kid. It reminds me of that. :?

I am all for improvements, I hope *some* of the core aspects of thievery are going to be incorporated.

Comment

I hope they manage to balance it so that you can either fight your way in or use sneaky stealth tactics to infiltrate the opponents HQ.

It's like TFC. You could choose to go gung ho and throw yourself at the enemy defences, or you could go spy//engineer and try to sabotage the other team from within their HQ.

Comment

Yes, it's more fastpaced. But it's only as fastpaced as you make it. IF you wan't to rush the loot and guards, you can do that. If you wan't to make silent approch you can do that. It's not really that differnt from Thievery.

Comment

Also, you'll be meeting a horrible end if you run around in full light with your sword out, as you lose the ability to sneak/raid/do a surprise attack.

The bots will probably gang up on you anyway...
                JM

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                  It's like TFC. You could choose to go gung ho and throw yourself at the enemy defences, or you could go spy//engineer and try to sabotage the other team from within their HQ.
                  Yep. Be a spy, and get shot the second you enter their base. (Who is that suspicious soldier, running INTO our base, without the flag?). Or, build a sentry gun in their base, and get banned.

TFC is all about gung-ho. Some backup is great, yes, but most pub games are about DMing on the bridge, and most clan games are about waves, and waves, and waves of offensive attacks.

I'd love to see NB be a slower game then TFC/UT/CS. Make it require more strategy then: Soldier, you go attack, and I'll be right behind you, ready to grab the flag.

I would not want infinite lives - it would be too much like TFC, where instead of strategic luring, the best way to break the enemy defense is to overwhelm them.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                    I would not want infinite lives - it would be too much like TFC, where instead of strategic luring, the best way to break the enemy defense is to overwhelm them.
                    Wouldn't work... No game would be won by reaching the loot amount. In the end you would just have the last 2 thieves camp the base, or the teams would become uneven....
                    But it's not like you respawn instantly after dieing. There's a delay.

Comment

Oh yes, definatly, i'd like it to still contain the ability to be a solid stealthy game, whilst also giving an intense combat side, I'm not expecting anything as complex as severance which always made me "OH" and "AH" when the enemys blade nearly got me.

Somthing like rune would be nice, where you still have to time the swings, and possibly a varity of them, like thrusting and swinging, and maybe a block or deflect option would be nice.

It'd suck if it DID turn into a game where waves and wave of kamakazi thieves with no value for their own lives run around the map like they are playing quake3.
                      ~TuF~

Comment

It'd suck if it DID turn into a game where waves and wave of kamakazi thieves with no value for their own lives run around the map like they are playing quake3.
                        That was my main concern at first glane. I mean, when i first looked over it, it almost looked like it pormoted DMing. It still does, but i guess it'd be alright.

but you need ot be able to pick up crates.
                        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Ok, Ok, Having read the whole nightblade page and read the large majority of the posts in this forum, I have come to this conclusion..

Nightblade, is a good thing... think about it...

1) No more [wining voice]"I wanna theif! you bastard!"[/wining voice] because both teams are thieves in the guildwar gametype
                          Hi machine,

You have some good points, but for number 1, it sounds to me that Guild war is similar to Coop and thiefmatch, but there is still a TvG gametype there, so that still won't solve the problem of "I wanna thief! you bastard!" whining. But referring to this, how will balance be resolved?! 1.2 style or 1.4 style? Or a whole new method?

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                            You have some good points, but for number 1, it sounds to me that Guild war is similar to Coop and thiefmatch, but there is still a TvG gametype there, so that still won't solve the problem of "I wanna thief! you bastard!" whining. But referring to this, how will balance be resolved?! 1.2 style or 1.4 style? Or a whole new method?
                            I doubt you'll need to concern yourself with that.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                              I doubt you'll need to concern yourself with that.
                              No smartass, I guess I dont have to concern myself with it, but its a valid question that others may be interested in. So if you have nothing of value to add to the topic, spam elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X