Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security

OK, next question: Will NightBlade be able to take advantage of UT2003's innate security and cheat protection features?

Err -- Most probably.

If Crackaz ever hosts a server for NB, btw... how will you guys handle the bans? Do we keep all the ones that we have for thievery?
    JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
      Err -- Most probably.
      Perhaps an answer from the more technical side of the team is in order here? I can see there being some significant difficulties with it, after all.

Originally posted by Lurox
      If Crackaz ever hosts a server for NB, btw... how will you guys handle the bans? Do we keep all the ones that we have for thievery?
      Same banlist. If we're doing both TUT and NB, bans on one will probably carry over to the other. Not sure, it's a bit premature to make such plans.

Comment

I don't think it's any changes from standard UT2K3 - banning by IP and CD-key is still possible. And people with a cracked/banned version/key won't be able to play on public servers...

Comment

UT2003 has some innate cheat protections, though, that work off of detecting altered and nonstandard files. I'm wondering, with as many altered and nonstandard files as must be present in a mod like this, will it work with it? Or is it possible to alter the cheat protections themselves to account for the NB-specific files?

Comment

I don't think that security will work for Nightblade, since it uses different .inis and files.
            JM

Comment

Either way, it's definatly an issue that need to be considered as it's obvious that some of us, *COUGH* KEWLAZME *COUGH* simply can't help ourselves and have to cheat our way to victory.

lets not be niave and assume that with a much bigger fanbase that the number of cheater will remain the same as Theivery, which had about 4 or 5 which we know off.

Whilst the devs shouldn't get bogged down trying to secure the games workings, good testing -glares at selected testing members- should bring up any obvious exploits, and I'm sure that there are cheat detecters availible for UT2003 which will be compatable, failing that, a Nightblade admin forum, similar to the one for TUT could be formed, it's likely that the major players in Thievery will be in Nightblade, so control over the more popular servers shouldn't be a problem.
              ~TuF~

Comment

If we are talking about security, will there be some nb servers with unreal4all ?

Comment

In theory it should be very possible, since the server has all the files that the client has, but then again, what do I know?
                  ]V[]V[

Comment

It's a matter of how the protection works.

If they've used a CRC system which compares the CRC of the host systems files with the CRC of the client systems files referenced in the called ini files then it should work fine. That's a big "if" though.
                    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by koraX
                      If we are talking about security, will there be some nb servers with unreal4all ?
                      Ok, dumb question probably, but i'm not that familer with it, what is Unreal4ALL? i guessed its a security thing, but what does that do?
                      ~TuF~

Comment

"The Unreal4All Project develops tools to bring back online gaming privacy to everybody. As a first step, our software Unreal4All (U4A) allows you to play Unreal Tournament 2003 (UT2003) via internet, without your reidentifyable information being sent to EpicGames Inc., the producer of the game. As a side effect, using U4A, you can play UT2003 on internet even without your valid CD key."

homepage : http://unreal4all.tk/

Comment

Working...
                        X