Karma Physics- What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karma Physics- What is it?

What exactly is this Karma Physics? And why is it so shitty that we can't hold objects and run? Are you forced to use Karma physics? Are there that many good things about it that are willing to lose frobbing?

As far as the physics themselves go, will it be realistic when part of a dead body is on a cliff, the other half of the body hangs off the side? And maybe even more so, if the heavier part of the body is hanging off, will it pull it down?

What's so great about these karma physics?

Here's a good explanation of Karma Physics, it basically means that all of the death animations are calculated on the fly, no pre-made animations.

I'm not so sure if I really like the current Karma physics (what I've seen in other games) , they make dying a lot more interesting though. But I wouldn't call it realistic looking.

Comment

http://www.mathengine.com/ is the home page, although it seems to be down.

Originally posted by http://www.epicgames.com/unrealenginenews.html
      Karma Physics Engine

For several months we have been working closely with MathEngine plc, based in Oxford, UK. Starting with version 829 MathEngine's Karma physics is now integrated into the Unreal Engine. A separate license, purchased directly from MathEngine, is required to use the technology in a game but the integration work is already done for developers using our engine.

Karma is a rigid-body physics engine that has been integrated into the Unreal Engine and available to Unreal Engine licensees starting from version 829. It allows you to simulate solid objects such as crates, tires or bones, as well as different joints, motors or springs between objects. Using these simple 'building blocks', complicated systems can be easily built that will behave according to the laws of physics. This can be anything from the classic stack of crates, to swinging lights or doors that can be shot off their hinges, up to 18-wheeler trucks, or characters falling down stairs like a rag-doll when they die.

Click here to read the Unreal Engine Karma press announcement.
      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Oh boy, so we can play with swinging doors but the real fun starts when you die?! Sounds...erm...yea

Comment

Ooh ooh! Like in Hitman 2! You can shoot the corpses and they go flying everywhere!

(Plus realistic dragging, by arms or legs)

Comment

It's awesome, I can tell you that. Download the UT2K3 demo and die a lot, you'll see.

Once I got killed, and did a cartwheel down a staircase, which ended in smashing on the floor.
            The only constant is change.
            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

You can end up strangely when dead.

(thanks to Omega for taking the pic)
              JM

Comment

Karma vs Havok

Is it the same ? Which is better ? Why ut3k2 doesn't use the other one ?

Comment

UT2003 have no need for havok physics. But havok is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
                    You can end up strangely when dead.

(thanks to Omega for taking the pic)
                    You want a funny-dead-position contest?

Quake3 doesn't even have Karma physics

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                      It's awesome, I can tell you that. Download the UT2K3 demo and die a lot, you'll see.

Once I got killed, and did a cartwheel down a staircase, which ended in smashing on the floor.
                      heh I need no practice getting killed a lot in UT2k3 LOL.
                      And Yea i notice the bodies die rather floppily, but so much taken out of the game just to see myself die in a creative way; I hope we get lots of lives.

Comment

One question regarding the Karma thing, I know it runs clientside, but is there ANY option located within any coding or some deeply hidden withing the server config which allows Karma to be run server-side?
                        *Leader of the 56k rebellion*
                        *Slowing down cable and DSL users, everywhere*

LikitaRenn:"I wanna be added to as many people's sigs as will add me to... their.. sigs.. um.. something..."

Comment

yes karma can be run serverside, this is demonstrated in the ut2003 bulldog vehicle. one problem with server side karma though is if there is too much of it it gets rather bw hungry. if you reeeeaally want to see it nicely in action, with bodies hanging from chains (it looks mad ) and other cool stuff, goto http://sv3.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/uunr_vtmlist.php?c=13 and scroll down to "UT2003 Game Design Issue 7" and download the conclusion which is the 9th file in the set. karma physics is actually a very good physics system and can handly things like springs and things floating on water and everything pretty realistically. it just takes a while to tune the karma objects to get it looking nice.

btw i dont see why carrying objects is impossible...

oh yeah this mod is gonna rock

Comment

Karma physics := doing it hanging from the ceiling :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by impulse
                              Karma physics := doing it hanging from the ceiling :lol:
                              No, that's Kama Sutra physics.
                              (AKA Dresden)
                              Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Working...
                              X