Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dalai, i think i might become your mapper. in a few months.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalai, i think i might become your mapper. in a few months.

this is perfect. i just dug up UT2k3 and decided to learn mapping. poof, nightblade.com. "we need mappers!" EXCELLENT. well, i have good news, if i find the time and put the effort into it, i think ill help design Nightblade.

i have a few important things i need to do first, the most important being totally overhauling my PC, or building a new one. i can barely run UED with my ram and processor.

step 1) make my own pc. this takes time. once this is done i can start working on UED
    step 2) learning UED. i already have tons of tutorials and links, and ive played enough TUT and Thief to understand the general flow and design behind a map for a game like NB.
    step 3) earning you trust. if i can do these first two things before the end of the year, could i be part of nightblade? im willing to spend a significant amount of time on the forums and talking with dalai and the crew if i need to. i would love to try to map something for a game or major mod. this seems like a great oppurtunity for me.

i can understand if you are totally uninterested; i am just a kid anyways, and i have no experience with mapping yet. when i get the money and put the work into it, i think ill be able to do this though.

any ideas? motivation? too late to sign up?
    "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Originally posted by [bulletproof
    ]<snipped>
    Quick piece of advice -- don't try to join the Nightblade team, or any other project, just 'cause you think it would be cool. If you're going to devote your time to a project like that, make sure that it's something you truly enjoy doing. Something that you'd be doing in your spare time anyways. If not, it'll likely become a messy situation.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I don't want to talk for Dalai here. But, I suggest you try to do a map or two first, so you have something to show off.

Comment

It takes Mad Skillz to make awesome maps.

Comment

You need a portfolio... besides, who isn't learning mapping/scripting/modelling to try to get on the team? :?
          JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
            You need a porfolio... besides, who isn't learning mapping/scripting/modelling to try to get on the team? :?
            Me I have already started modeling but I do not ask nor do I expect to join the team. I do it for the fun of it.
            I Need Training!

Comment

I've started mapping for UT2K3, but i don't expect ot oin the team anytime soon. I like to map when i want to, not having ot devote to anything but what i wish to.

Sorta makmes life fun at times.
              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Advice from a mapper to a newbie.
                1. Get that pc built. This is no mile stone. (Time aprox. 2 weeks.)
                2. Sketch, learn, play, study. Talk to people, build up relations. (Time aprox. 2 months)
                3. Take a deep breath. (Few Seconds)
                4. Load Up Unrealed, study other peoples work. (Time Aprox. Depends.)
                5.Learn how to use photoshop. (2 Months)
                6. Learn Unrealed. (4 Months)
                7. Learn 3ds max or Maya, or Lightwave. (9 Months)
                8. Learn the game and what dev is really about (1 Year!)
                9. Learn how to form impressive 3d worlds that work and play very well. (Down to you.. At a guess from never doing it before. 1 to 2 years)
                10. Learn how to bum lick the project lead ( Instant!)

So yeah, we would be interested in you joining us. How much time did you say you have on your hands?
                Chimp off the old Block

Game Designer

Comment

and for everything else there's Master Card
                  [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Your avatar goes so well with every post you make, Gullone. :wink:

Comment

Hooyaa!
                      Chimp off the old Block

Game Designer

Comment

yeah um... so. i dont think im going to map.

i had a sinking feeling i would get negative responses but i wasnt prepared for detailed figures on learning maya and such. i thought i was being pretty naive. well anyway, ill work on my PC and then start wokring on UED. didnt realise so many of us are into that stuff.

thanks all.

oh yeah, before any of the other devs come and see this thread can someone delete it? i feel sheepish, whatever that means.
                        "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

Originally posted by [bulletproof
                          ]yeah um... so. i dont think im going to map.

i had a sinking feeling i would get negative responses but i wasnt prepared for detailed figures on learning maya and such. i thought i was being pretty naive. well anyway, ill work on my PC and then start wokring on UED. didnt realise so many of us are into that stuff.

thanks all.

oh yeah, before any of the other devs come and see this thread can someone delete it? i feel sheepish, whatever that means.
                          There wasn't really any negative responses. Just people stating facts. I don't think you really ahve to learn Maya... do you? And even if you don't learn in time to get on the team, it doesn't matter because maybe you can map for the next project....
                          The only constant is change.
                          (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

I think that what some of the Nightblade team said still stands, bulletproof. Don't lose heart, do the work, make some cool maps, and then contact someone. If you really want to, you can make it happen I'm sure.

[Edit] CD posted while I was typing. Yeah, what he says is dead on.

Comment

Don't worry kid, Im just having some fun. If you feel you can do it, don't let an old timer like me put you off.
                              Want to learn? Then go to www.3dbuzz.com. create an account and your open to hours of video tutorials. There is also a link on there some where to Unreal ed tutorials. That way you will lean extremely fast! Good luck and umm...
                              Tryna think of something funny and sarcy to say... Oh umm...
                              NEWBIE!! AHHAHAHA! :grin:

:swordthi: Ohh look Icons. WHOOPSIE!
                              Chimp off the old Block

Game Designer

Comment

Working...
                              X