Stealth Suggestion : Pickpocketing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth Suggestion : Pickpocketing

Ok, Ok, I understand the current gameplay to be quite combat orentated, and, from what I understand, the only way to take money from other thieves is, to kill them.

Now, how about, when a thief is hidden he has the ability to steal money from other theives? not ALL their money, just a portion of it, say a percentage, or an anount? like 50 loot. If the theif checks his pockets, I.e, he looks at his amount he'll notice it's gone.

After each "frob" or whatever it'll be called, theres a slight delay where you cannot frob again, say, 2 seconds? I dunno, that can be decided with testing to see if it's balanced.

THis I feel would deepen the stealth tactic somewhat, allowing for another style of play to prevail whilst not effecting the combat too much, so a theif, if careful and vigilent could still win WITHOUT spilling any blood?

Thoughts?
    I Like!
    0%
    I Do not like!
    0%
    ~TuF~

Nothing wrong with pickpocketing!

Other than that lousy thing called law, of course.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Garlisk
      Other than that lousy thing called law, of course.
      Oh crap! that'll be why they were chasing me then!
      -ducks behind trashcan-
      ~TuF~

Comment

But....you ARE the trashcan.
        www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
          Oh crap! that'll be why they were chasing me then!
          -ducks behind trashcan-
          Hmph. The REAL terminator never hid from the police.

Comment

Yeah, but TheMachine does. Cause hes the ghosting version of the Terminator. Yeah...
            www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Excellent idea. I liked it when it was suggested for Thievery, and I like it now.

Although it might be cooler if the victim wasn't able to check his pockets all the time, i.e. the amount of loot missing wouldn't register right away. That would be much more realistic, as well...a thief isn't going to be checking his pockets and counting his money every 10 seconds, he's too busy thiefing. This way, if he checks within, say, 10-15 seconds of the pickpocketing, his loot amount reads as if he wasn't robbed. He goes about his merry way, not noticing that a thief picked his pocket for a few seconds.

If needed, the time could be shortened, to 5 seconds or so, but I still think there should be a few seconds before the realization.

Comment

At the same time, I feel I should be able to (somehow) go "Wtf, someone is in my pockets!"

Maybe when pickpocketing there is a 50% chance you know its happening, or something, but for it to be a 100% guarantee that you will successfully pickpocket someone and they won't have any way of knowing it for 15 seconds or so seems wrong.
                www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Yeah, but TheMachine does. Cause hes the ghosting version of the Terminator. Yeah...
                  Thats the second time in ten minutes I found myself laughing at one of your posts... That deserves some kind of reward or something.
                  It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Maybe when pickpocketing there is a 50% chance you know its happening, or something, but for it to be a 100% guarantee that you will successfully pickpocket someone and they won't have any way of knowing it for 15 seconds or so seems wrong.
                    Yeah, as I was writing my post I started to realize that 10 seconds was a bit too long, which is why I said 5 seconds could work just as well if needed. It sounds like a better idea now, anyway...you're right, a 100% guarantee of 15 seconds is just too easy to make a clean getaway every time. With 5 seconds, it'll take wits, luck, and speed.

The main reason I suggest the time limit, though, is to prevent people from just staring at their loot total, which would seem kind of unrealistic. They'd notice right away, and pickpocketing would become kind of obsolete for players who didn't want to be detected.

Comment

We tried pickpocketing in Thievery and it didn't really work. It was very hard to actually be close to a player (as they tend to move around a lot) and not be spotted, near enough impossible in fact. Even if you did get close enough, you might as well just blackjack them, then you get their loot and they can't turn around and chase you...

Pickpocketing might work in Nightblade though... has anyone ever played Hack/Rogue/Moria? Also, some more recent RPG.. I forget the name... hmm, anyway, these games have thief npcs in that run up to your character and steal some of your stuff (not just gold, but weapons and equipment too), then run off. Also, anyone played Perfect Dark? There's a handy chop attack in that that can knock guns out of the enemies hands.. steal them too? I forget. Anyway. Yeah. Interesting.

Comment

w00t! Perfect Dark! Yup, you could steal their guns like that.

Comment

I say the thieves should get whips and they can go all Indiana Jones style and yank stuff outta people's hands!
                          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Gauntlet. Golden Axe. Roxor.

Comment

Certainly loot could be placed on the belts of guards...
                              Immortius' Forge

Comment

Working...
                              X