Pickup dropped weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup dropped weapons?

A feature i wish was in Thief 1, Thief 2, Thievery, actually All games.

I never understood why most games never let you pick up the weapons of deceased/KO'd players. I mean, in MGS2 they at least wrote it into the script, but that still didn't really make it ok. Unreal Tournament did it, well they made it a spinning pop up weapon of the current weapon that player was using, but I wish that you could just pick the sword up from where it lies, and similarly put it down. If I don't buy a sword, but KO a guard, I dont see why I shouldn't be able to pick it up. Clearly the sword should make a thief constantly visible at all times while he carries it, and he shouldn't be able to holster it since he wouldn't have a sheath. but maybe he could pull off a kill with it, and toss it in the bushes for someone else to find it. Similarly, another guard that didn't buy a sword could come across a dead body or that sword I dropped in the bush, and pick it up (even AI), perhaps forcing him to put down his mace. The crossbow however could cause playabily issues, and perhaps could be written up as too heavy and bulky for skinny little thieves to handle. Its just an idea that may have been suggested already but i though i'd add my opinion.

That adds a whole other gameplay element and balancing issue that has to be resolved. Plus, a feature like that sounds more like something you'd find in a more realistic game, this game is just for deathmatching, and it's designed so that what you buy is what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
      That adds a whole other gameplay element and balancing issue that has to be resolved. Plus, a feature like that sounds more like something you'd find in a more realistic game, this game is just for deathmatching, and it's designed so that what you buy is what you get.
      But by making it make you partially visible the entire time you have possession of the sword, and not allowing you to sheath it, makes for evening out gameplay. And if you dont ditch that sword quickly once seen, then you get killed even quicker.

Its more like a power up that has overall disadvantages, kinda like that Ninjitsu move in the game Shinobi for sega. You can kill everyone on the screen at once, but it costs you a life.

On the other hand, when you buy a sword at the beginning of the game, then you also get a sheath with it, but a found sword comes with no sheath, leaving the shiny metal to give you away while possessing it.

Comment

take a look at the screenshots before you get to many idea's of what a thief can and can not....

And remember that TvG is still not going to be the primary gametype.

Comment

Originally posted by tundra
          On the other hand, when you buy a sword at the beginning of the game, then you also get a sheath with it, but a found sword comes with no sheath, leaving the shiny metal to give you away while possessing it.
          That would be ultra-stupid in a game.
          JM

Comment

Thieves and guards keep their weapons in the same pocket as they did in Thievery.

Comment

Originally posted by tundra
              kinda like that Ninjitsu move in the game Shinobi for sega. You can kill everyone on the screen at once, but it costs you a life.
              Pardon me, but are you saying NB is a sega game?! How could you possibly inpliment something like this?! I mean you could make it so your more visible, or you move slower, but like a super-weapon... I think thats ridiculus.

If other people know what you mean great, but I'm in the dark on this one.

Good Idea, picking up weapons from corpes though, I'd like to see that in NB.
              -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
              - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
              - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
              -YT

Comment

The special move in Shinobi didn't cost you a life! You should go play it again and see.

Man, that game rox.

Comment

Dalai, to clear up confusion, I actually was talking about Revenge of Shinobi, but i wasn't trying to be specific, just show some analogy.

And Fixxer, I never meant it as a super-weapon, but a powerful weapon (after all, it is a sword) but at the price of visibility, perhaps the shinobi reference was too extreme.

Comment

Having a sword sheathed doesn't really brighten up a thief you know...

Comment

I think KewlAzMe means that when you take the sword off a body, you don't have anywhere to sheaf it...

Or, you could grab the sheaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                        Or, you could grab the sheaf.
                        Nahh... Where would you put the sheat?

Comment

Okay, it's powerful weapon, but at the price of visibility.

No need to hide anymore! Yeah! I can just dispatch every guards in town!
                          JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
                            I can just dispatch every guards in town!
                            But wont that be a problem....... I mean I know its more action packed, and fast paced, but we dont want it to easy......
                            -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                            - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                            - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                            -YT

Comment

It's a scabbard, not a sheath!

/dorky pet peeve

Comment

Working...
                              X