Working demo recording and playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working demo recording and playing

This feature was included in Thievery, but was pretty buggy (it was possible to record a demo on some maps, and I tested it only off-line, because it disconnected me when I tried to start recording). In Nightblade I would like to be able to safely record and play demos. These are a useful tool for learning the game or seeing some good games in which you couldn't participate (clan/guild matches).
    GerbilSong gave Jimmy some unnecessary ventilation.

I were gonna post a new thread about this, but I found this thread now so I guess I'll post here instead. nowadays in gaming its very populour having demos/replays of matches you've played (so you can capture/save some very nice stuff you made or just a match where you played great). when I played q3 back in the days, you could record exactly all your matches offline/online, without no problems. then you can easily make some kills you did to a .avi and make a movie with a song and all. ppl made frag movies with nice frags and cool music etc.

I now play fighting game on arcade (street fighter, wich has a very big community worldwide) even there its possible to save a replay of a match if you did nice stuff or played very good, and its also possible getting them on the computer and adding songs etc. there are even big .avi files (like over 500 MB) of japanese tourneys of all the matches in good quality! (not only japanese, but other countries to).

well, all Im saying is that this is very populour and this would make night-blade a hundred times cooler. I would have made my own thievery movie with all nice stuff I did a long time ago if it werent for a non-working/buggy demo recorder. UT had it, is it really that hard making it work 100% for thievery to?

anyway, I hope you guys would look a bit closer on this for night-blade! Im sure there are a bunch of ppl that would record whenever they play, save the demos and later do a own .avi movie and add a cool song. I would love to do that and share that movie with the NB ppl and also get it in return, the oppertunity to download someone else's NB.avi and just sit back and relax and watch all the nice moves/kills he made ingame from the game you play and love! (cause I loved tut, Im sure Im gonna love NB aswell). please make this demo recording work!
    .: Infiltrator - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

www.youtube.com/user/Richard413

Comment

What was the problem with recording demos in TUT? Why didn't it work very well? How about UT04, are people recording accurate demos in the regular game?
      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

UT2004 demos....When you record and all it doesn't seem to slow the game at all, for me at least.

When you watch the demos, there is no Weapon, the Player skin/model isn't the same as when the game was played, it changes depending on what skin you have selected (not sure for mods like FragOps, Damnation, AirBuccaneers, or Alien Swarm...) The HUD of course is different...It's been a while, but i think you can still look at the scoreboard while demo is playing (don't hold me to that though)

Other than those few things like the HUD and player skin/model i think the demo's are great

I hate making them into AVI's using the game itself, does like .2 fps
        SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Comment

SpamSlayer said:
          I hate making them into AVI's using the game itself, does like .2 fps
          hehe yeah, thats what you have to live with when you wanna make a avi. same with q3, you had to wait ages for the avidemo ingame, 2 fps or something yes. we are all use to that now though, I only hope for an easy working demo recording in nb! that would be so perfect!
          .: Infiltrator - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

www.youtube.com/user/Richard413

Comment

Originally posted by SpamSlayer
            When you watch the demos, there is no Weapon, the Player skin/model isn't the same as when the game was played, it changes depending on what skin you have selected (not sure for mods like FragOps, Damnation, AirBuccaneers, or Alien Swarm...) The HUD of course is different...It's been a while, but i think you can still look at the scoreboard while demo is playing (don't hold me to that though)
            Demos aren't that buggy in UT2004, in fact, I don't remember seeing any of the problems you mentioned. You see it just like a spectator would - if you don't use first-person view, you can see the weapon, skin etc. If you do, then it takes on whatever options you have (e.g. weapon hand right, left or hidden). You can view the scoreboard, nodes in Onslaught etc.

In Alien Swarm it's kinda buggy. If you record them online, you can't see the direction people are facing, they spin weirdly, and you can't see things from the HUD like health or ammo. If you record them offline, it records it like a standard UT2004 demo, all the right skins and everything, but no HUD, you just have to have behind view (though you can rotate it to make it look top-down).

Comment

u haven't? lucky u

I tried to get a demo rec of some "secret"/hidden places in the orginal UT2004 maps, each time people watched it first person you could not see which gun i had out, EX: Assult Rifle to shoot a gernade and your feet, the model/skin not being the same isn't really a problem n e more, i just figured out that the model that was being used was one that had to be downloaded, ^^, since i didn't have it intalled (i guess u could say installed here), it changed the model to the one i have set. When I was talking about HUD problems, I meant the HUD shows up the way you have your settings, at least for me it changes depending on what I have. EX: demoing a guy playing online with regular blue hud and stuffs, I finish, I change my HUD color, when I watch demo his HUD color changes.

Maybe this all got fixed since i last demoed a game?

Comment

Nah it uses your HUD. The demo doesn't record everyone's HUD settings, but I didn't think that really mattered. I would want to view it with my HUD :s

Comment

^^, ah but one might think the colors of your HUD could affect your rage to kill

...j/k...

Comment

Working...
                  X