Visibility idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visibility idea

I have no idea if any of this is already in the mod or if it's even possible, so just call me a moron if it is/isn't. :grin:

Partial invisibility:
    it might be cool to have to have your entire body in darkness to be totally hidden, or else someone might see an arm or a foot sticking out ETC. You can make the light gem divided so that it shows you what percentage of your body is hidden and how much (for example: the left side of the gem shows your in complete darkness while the right side tells you that your visible). The darker the overall light gem is the more your body is hidden. If it's completely dark then your entire body is hidden.
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Originally posted by Firetiger
    I have no idea if any of this is already in the mod or if it's even possible, so just call me a moron if it is/isn't. :grin:
    So, if people can call you a moron under either case, that's pretty much permission for people to call you a moron across the board, isn't it?

Well, I won't, because the idea itself is rather neat. I'd be interested in hearing if it is possible.

Comment

This was suggested for Thievery a long time ago, but was decided to be outside the limits of the UT engine. Now, with 2k3's engine, it should be possible, if not easy, to pull off. A third person view would be the only way to make it useful gameplay-wise, though (but that's already been implemented, right?)
      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

MORON! :grin:

Although I know little about the changes in the UT2k3 engine, I seriously doubt it will be much easier. You'd almost have to make your own engine for that, where you can do polygon iteration and stuff.
        ]V[]V[

Comment

If it could be made i don't really think it would work out as you would all hope for... And arm stickin out of nowhere would just look plain silly.

Comment

I think something more along the lines of per polygon visibility. When any part of the player is hit with light the visibility of the entire player is affected.

Per polygon would probably be too much to process I think(even if it's handled client side it would be a bit much, and you would have to think about cheating then as well). If this feature were to be implemented on a per polygon scale I think it would probably raise the system requirements noticeably.

This is probably already implemented in one form or another(most likely body section as opposed to per polygon).
            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I thought the models in 2k3 were already divided into several sections, for locational damage and the ragdoll effect etc?

Or is that completely wrong?

Just a little wrong?

Wrong?

Comment

Far as i know the only specific location damage is a head shot... And UT had this.

And ragdoll/karma physics only kick in when the player dies.

Comment

UT had location damage all over. But it was all manually calculated by the point of impact on the collision cylinder, they never had any sections or anything. As for the polygon iteration, it would probably not be too much of a problem processing-wise if you do some fancy average calculations (it's not like you need EVERY poly to be considered), but like I said, you'd need a custom engine for it.
                  ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                    but like I said, you'd need a custom engine for it.
                    Preferably one with switchable lights
                    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Instead of a lightgem (which is borderline Thief copyright infringement), how about an icon of the thief body with various components (hand, arm, leg, lower-torso, upper-torso, head) lit up accordingly?
                      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Working...
                      X