Open development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open development

I'm thinking of opening up the development of Nightblade, so everyone can try it out, offer feedback, bug reports, game suggestions, etc. There's still a bit of work to go before there's anything worth playing, but as soon as there is, I'd like to release an alpha version.

It won't be as polished or featureful as Thievery (as that had 2.5+ years development), but it should still be fun.

Just letting you know, so sharpen those swords. :swordthi:

Woooo! First post!

Better go get those copies of UT2K3 people.

Comment

Wewt, Just upgraded in time... now all I need is UT2k3 ¬¬
      Nightwarden,
      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
      - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

Alpha release... so it means you will be focusing on gameplay and leave other stuff like maping for a later time? (like a beta)
        I like the idea of an Alpha. The TUT (and NB) community should be large enough to have that many machines conections to give you a worthy fedback.
        Feel the power of the

Comment

The map work is ongoing, just like the rest of it. So there'll be a few maps, but not necessarily finished or ideal for the gameplay - seeing as the gameplay is still being worked out.

Comment

Will the community be updated with the alphas as well or will this be the only demo released?

At least LaughingRat got his wish granted... even though I never believed it would actually happen.
            JM

Comment

Too bad i don't have a copy of UT2k3 yet
              Some Skulls are born to be heroes

Comment

This may be a good idea as user made maps could be started and maybe released before the first beta appears. On the other hand, I've heard that playing a game before release can spoil the fun of it.
                Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
                  This may be a good idea as user made maps could be started and maybe released before the first beta appears. On the other hand, I've heard that playing a game before release can spoil the fun of it.
                  This was an issue for UT2003, I know. A number of people I know played the pre-release demos that were leaked, and hated it. Some of them never did go to UT2003. Other people I know who swore they'd never play UT2003 on playing the leaked demos are now die-hard UT2003 fans. I think it depends more on the person and their openmindedness than on whether or not they've actually played pre-release versions of a game.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                    This was an issue for UT2003, I know. A number of people I know played the pre-release demos that were leaked, and hated it. Some of them never did go to UT2003. Other people I know who swore they'd never play UT2003 on playing the leaked demos are now die-hard UT2003 fans. I think it depends more on the person and their openmindedness than on whether or not they've actually played pre-release versions of a game.
                    As for the leaked UT2003 alpha's. People didn't have a say in them, so they assumed whatever they saw is what they were going to get. With Nightblade, if we don't like something we can post it in the suggestions forum. So we do have a say in them.

It is very different.

Comment

Well, yeah, it is different. I've been an advocate of an early demo of NightBlade all along, remember?

Why people would think that a leaked early alpha of a game was what they were going to get is beyond me, though. That thing didn't even have player skins in it.

Comment

Instead of releasing an "Alpha" i say go for a "Current features Demo". Which should include the current playable maps and game types.

And there is a pretty big difference between the ut2003 beta(IIRC), and Nightblade... Ut2003 was a whole engien, that still need loads a tweaking to work like it should. Nightblade's only a mod and therefor won't have these kinds of problems. Furthermore by only releasing all the "Near completion" stuff the chance of people getting the wrong idea about the game is minimized greatly.

Comment

This is such a great idea. I always loved small, incremental patches...
                          http://www.insult2injury.org
                          -end of transmission-

Comment

Yea, i hate wating for mods before u can see what sorta feel they'll have. Will u be including a modified unrealEd in the Alpha? cos then at least community mappers can get maps ready to be included in a beta. Other wise it will be longer before the community mapping scene gets going.

Nice news, now back to the shadows peeps!

Liam

Comment

I think that's a great idea. It's working great for http://www.omf.com

Originally posted by acetken
                              This is such a great idea. I always loved small, incremental patches...
                              Then don't download 'em. :roll:
                              The only constant is change.
                              (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Working...
                              X