Swinging ropes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging ropes

The title is fairly self-explanatory. Have the players able to swing on certain ropes (I'm guessing that there are ropes in the game, and that the engine can handle it ). And make the players have to use timed direction controls to make it swing farther/faster.
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Sure, swinging ropes might be fun, but what real use would they be? I mean, sure, you could do some sorta jumping puzzles, but is there really a good reason to have one in a map besides for the effect itself? What would they add to gameplay?

Also, you may want to keep in mind that Karma physics (easiest way to do the ropes) doesn't work well over a network. You would need to make the rope have custom physics code to prevent latency.

If swinging ropes are to be implemented, it may have to rest on whatever mappers who want the ropes to code them.

Comment

Actually I think they'd be great fun, if implemented right. Would be cool to swing across a room onto ledge to get away from a guard. Another idea would be to have a whip that could be used in the same context as a vine arrow, except it would coil around different objects, such as poles and other narrow objects. But of course the mapper specifies which objects the whip can be attached to (similar to the ladders in TUT).

Oh, and another reason why swinging ropes would be fun. It adds another layer of complexity to the game, opening up more possiblities in peoples strategies. And i'm thinking some of them could be added to a map only to let the player invent uses for them (rather than create one only to swing from here to here for example, but place one in a complicated area and let the players use it as they see fit).

Comment

hmmm... swinging ropes

yes! I can see it now

Comment

Your pic is broken . And I edited my 2nd post.

Comment

Yeah i can see how swinging back and forth 3 or 4 times to get enough speed to make it to the other side, all while the guards are hacking/shooting loose at you is a great way of escaping...

Comment

Swinging ropes are bringing back my memories of trying to climb the trees in Calendra's Legacy...

Most unpleasant memories (Involving strange movements, leading to SHAS)...

Comment

Ladders tend to mess up at the best of times in any game. I'ld hate to have to muck around with ones that moved as well. I'ld probably get thrown at high speeds to my death.
                Immortius' Forge

Comment

I think its a great idea. better than the stiff... startched ropes in TUT.
                  -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                  - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                  - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                  -YT

Comment

I did code swinging ropes a while back, but have since ditched them because they only worked with 1 person on them (the physics and netcode for multiple people swinging about on a rope = too much work ).

I didn't use karma, that doesn't work at all in a netgame.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalai
                      I did code swinging ropes a while back, but have since ditched them because they only worked with 1 person on them (the physics and netcode for multiple people swinging about on a rope = too much work ).

I didn't use karma, that doesn't work at all in a netgame.
                      Man, you work on a lot of stuff before we think of it....but I'm still waiting for my rapid fire crossbow.
                      Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
                      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Garlisk
                        Man, you work on a lot of stuff before we think of it....but I'm still waiting for my rapid fire crossbow.
                        He did that... But after a "work" accident with it, it was decided it might be best to leave it out....

Comment

"Gibbed" doesn't even begin to describe the result...
                          Immortius' Forge

Comment

We just call the test subject by his new nickname now... 'Mr. Kibbles'
                            One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                            -
                            The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaws
                              We just call the test subject by his new nickname now... 'Mr. Kibbles'
                              Poor fellow. I still can remember his last words before the 'accident'... "Did I hear something?"
                              Immortius' Forge

Comment

Working...
                              X