Converting from UED3 to "nightbladeED"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting from UED3 to "nightbladeED"

We do not have the "Nightblade SDK" so we cannot fully map under nightblade.

Will it be possible to (easily) convert a map created in UED3 to nightblade map when the "SDK" is released ? (geometry, movers, lightning, ...)

I believe so.

And there is no such thing as "the Nightblade editor", btw. Its just an INI that tells UED3 to auto load the right packages.
    (AKA Dresden)
    Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Yes, Neo is right.

All you'll need to do to 'convert' your map is add some of the custom NightBlade actors to it (such as bot patrol route scripts and bot respawn points and player starts, that sort of stuff). Other than that the geometry, lighting etc. is handled exactly the same way.
      One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
      -
      The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Although, the player in Nightblade is 4 units higher than in UT2k3 and the eyeheight is 8.5 units higher. These are only small differences, but it's something to bear in mind if you want you level to be scaled properly.

You should also bear in mind things like the 3rd person camera - this means you should always have a nice clear space above the player, i.e. taller/wider corridors than you might expect, with no annoying deco on the ceiling for the camera to get stuck on.

Comment

so no Aquatone for nightbalde!!
          This is my cool sig.

Comment

Ok, heres the n00b question:

What exactly are the 3d modeling programs (3dsmax and such) for in a map?
            I've been working with Maya PLE and I figured i'd ask why i'm learning this.
            <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

3dsmax and Maya is used to make the static meshes in a map. These meshes can be complex and doesn't create any BSP holes. They can have all kinds of collision, from a box to exact surface collision, and they are easy to reskin and resize.
              Plus it takes a lot to reduce FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaws
                All you'll need to do to 'convert' your map is add some of the custom NightBlade actors to it (such as bot patrol route scripts and bot respawn points and player starts, that sort of stuff). Other than that the geometry, lighting etc. is handled exactly the same way.
                yay !

Comment

Originally posted by daniel

NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo

Come on, we at least need an Aquatone-like level... that map is one of my favorites to taff :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by daniel
                    This is not saying you can't have low ceilings in areas where people aren't likely to do much heated melee combat - 3rd person camera is pretty smart. Vents would still work. I think the advice here is to make any open areas just a little taller, rather than not have low crawl spaces.
                    Immortius' Forge

Comment

I don't think vents would work. There's nothing worse than an annoying 3rd person camera.

Comment

It is unheard of to just do a level in a 3d program and convert the whole thing as a static mesh? That would be a lot easier for me than having to learn how to use UED. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Asaltec..SaitoNai
                          actually alot of people do that..
                          then you just light it, and add actors, movers...such...

what i was wondering is...in tight spaces.. would it be possible to cause the camera to shift to a first person view, in a smooth transition..intead of an instant jerk
                          (say in tight vents and the like, so as not to have anoying camera effects)
                          The transition is fair smooth as is. The main problem is, if something gets in the way of the camera you have to move the it close RIGHT NOW. Otherwise it will be outside the world or in some otherwise useless position.
                          Immortius' Forge

Comment

so.....why is it 3rd person when fighting i mean that cool but why?
                            SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpamSlayer
                              so.....why is it 3rd person when fighting i mean that cool but why?
                              Because you don't have to model a first person version of the weapon. That way you can easily have an omnibilliontrillion melee weapons in the game. Only the melee weapons are 3rd person, btw.
                              (AKA Dresden)
                              Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Working...
                              X