Drawers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawers

I was working with my TUT map a bit, and I thought it would be cool to have drawers. So far (as far as I know) there are no TUT maps with drawers. All thats required to make them is to have the objects your placing in it have the physics "falling" (or something similar). I tested this and it works just fine. So heres the question: Is there some reason why no other maps have drawers?
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Originally posted by Firetiger
    I was working with my TUT map a bit, and I thought it would be cool to have drawers. So far (as far as I know) there are no TUT maps with drawers. All thats required to make them is to have the objects your placing in it have the physics "falling" (or something similar). I tested this and it works just fine. So heres the question: Is there some reason why no other maps have drawers?
    TH-CountryAbode has drawers. The morgue in TH-Asylum has drawer-like... receptacles.

Comment

Do you mean drawers that open and close? That's easy to implemement using complex brush movers (drawer shaped of course) in a complex brush of a drawer unit. - Although it may help to murder FPS

I think you meant drawers you can pull out that fall on the floor...that would be more complicated and require quite a bit of coding. Although I assume it's possible.
      One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
      -
      The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

TH-Breandor!!!!

Well, there cupboards but, y'know...
        -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
        - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
        - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
        -YT

Comment

And since UT2003 uses static meshes for movers it's easy to make "complex" drawers. And since all drawers would be using the same mesh, the impact they would have on fps would be hardly noticable...

Comment

Now, what about frobbable movers, is there something that those of us without NightBlade can do in the meantime, or do we just add doors later?
            It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

MB is right, you just add the mesh AS a NB-door type mover. So you'll just have to leave spaces for all your movers until you get the ini files, sorry.

Or you could pester Dalai for the particular ini file you need
              One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
              -
              The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Drawers would rock! That's definately a theefy skill!
                "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Another option besides complex brush mover might be to attach a mesh (assuming you are able to make one or have it made to a simple mover, with objects inside also attached to the mover. Same effect, though slightly more involved. Seems cleaner to the engine I would think.

Would be nice to have pre-fab objects with drawer holes and matching drawers available for those of us who have yet to learn to create our own meshes.
                  Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                  Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

I really don't see why it would be so bad. I put drawers in KOTD, although there was nothing in them. All it would be is an open box that slides out just enough for you to grab whatever is inside it. I really have no idea what a "complex" mover is (if it means anything at all). I was playing breandor, and I noticed that everything opened like a door. I figured it would be a lot cooler if you could open drawers in a dresser and steal some jewelery for example. In fact some of the furniture that comes with TUT have drawer textures.
                    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

[REPEAT]

There are actual drawers in TH-CountryAbode. Drawers. Real ones. Two. In two desks. They open. Like drawers. There are things in them (sometimes). Really.

Comment

Country Abode proves it is possible, and can be nice.

I believe Complex movers are movers that are more then simple blocks. From what I have heard, it might hurt performance if overly used.

I beleive you can make nice, decorative doors with a mesh more efficiently then using brushes. A simple, hollowed out brush would work (with negligible effect on performance I would think), but might not be as pretty.
                        Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                        Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Yes, though rotating blocks make adequate cupboard doors. The drawers in Country Abode are simply more complex brushes made into movers.

When I started making furniture models for NightBlade, I planned to animate them with opening drawers, but due to the contents system this isn't really necessary. NightBlade uses static mesh furniture.

Comment

Do you plan to have openings for drawers for some pieces of furniture, and seperate drawer meshes to put into them? Drawer movement to be done by attached mover.

Comment

Working...
                            X