Dynamic weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic weather?

You can almost taste it in some Thievery maps (Grange, for one): dawn about to break. It would be really neat if the map actually did get lighter and shadows begin to shorten. It would add an extra dimention to those long games (20+ minutes), and can even be built into the objectives ("get out of there before the sun rises"). It doesn't have to be the morning sun, it can be a full moon casting dynamic moonlit shadows, where shadows on one side of the street disappear and force you to skulk on the other side later.

Besides lighting, is there going to be snow, rain, fog that might change as the match progresses? I'm inclined to think this is possible in UT03.
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Wow wow wow, easy there little fella!

We can't get dynamic lightning in UT2003, so forget it already.
    It is however easy to make nice looking moon light using the "Sun Light" light in ut2003, that will make sun rays fall from the sky onto the map, casting realistic shadows.

Snow and the like is possible. There are a bunch of UT2003 maps that have snow and other objects flowing around.

Comment

Sounds cool though. A level starts at night and if the Thieves are too slow morning breaks, all gets brighter and theyre screwed ^^. Damn UT2K3...its all about visuals and not about gameplay these days
      My leet Thievery Map
      My leet UT3 Map
      My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
        Snow and the like is possible. There are a bunch of UT2003 maps that have snow and other objects flowing around.
        For some reason, the image of a Japanese cherry orchard in fall came to mind, with the air thick with falling cherry blossom petals.

Comment

So, MB, to clarify, dynamic sunlight isn't doable, but static sunlight is?

I know there are weather effects in UT03. Can they be slowly shifted from on to off and off to on?

Comment

That's pretty, LR.

Also reminds me of an old map idea someone began working on a year ago. Some kind of Japaneese garden with hills, trees, a stream, a bridge, a well (sewer system?) and a structure or two.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
              For some reason, the image of a Japanese cherry orchard in fall came to mind, with the air thick with falling cherry blossom petals.
              That would be possible, but what i was thinking of was.... Whatever it is that's floating around in the air in DM-TokaraForest. Makes it look like some sort of fairy forest.
              Anyways, the partical emitters can be set to make particles appear in a specific area around it, so you can have snow in specific areas....... The Maw anyone?....

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                That's pretty, LR.

Also reminds me of an old map idea someone began working on a year ago. Some kind of Japaneese garden with hills, trees, a stream, a bridge, a well (sewer system?) and a structure or two.
                That would be Sisu's map, TH-Bathhouse, only it wasn't a map, it was a test.

That would be possible, but what i was thinking of was.... Whatever it is that's floating around in the air in DM-TokaraForest. Makes it look like some sort of fairy forest.
                That was actually the first UT2003 map that came to mind when you mentioned that. I love that map, especially on low-g. But my mind went from there, and since I've been playing Jedi Academy lately, I shifted to thinking about sword fights in picturesque settings, and the autumn cherry orchard idea was born.

Might make a good duel map for NightBlade.

Comment

i know thoses maps, very nice ones too. they would make awesome duel maps
                  This is my cool sig.

Comment

Anyways, the partical emitters can be set to make particles appear in a specific area around it, so you can have snow in specific areas....... The Maw anyone?....

Can u turn those emmiters on and off periodically?
                    Abraham Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Comment

It's sad that unreal's lighting model actually got worse from UT to UT2k3. Much worse.

Comment

Worse? How so?
                        <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Originally posted by Dalai
                          It's sad that unreal's lighting model actually got worse from UT to UT2k3. Much worse.
                          Blehh. They porbably didn't have stealthy mods in mind, where people would have to hide in the shadows, when they created the 10 frags per second game called UT2k3/4.

Maybe you guys should freeze development and wait for HL2 (modding will be a bit easier with the leaked code, haha), then you could perfect Thievery in the meantime to keep us fanboys busy.

I'm so gonna get flamed for this post. :lol:

Comment

I would REALLY hate to see NightBlade done as a HL2 mod....

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                              I would REALLY hate to see NightBlade done as a HL2 mod....
                              Because?

Comment

Working...
                              X