Melee Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melee Combat

Since this mod is going to be more focused on combat than Thievery, I'd like to see melee combat done well. I've been playing Jedi Academy recently, and it's the first game I've ever played where melee combat is fun and exciting. With that in mind, I have a couple wishes for melee combat in Nightblade.

-Optional third person view, melee combat in first person is painful.

-Blocking is automagic with a melee weapon drawn, like in Jedi Academy. When attacked, the player will automatically block any attacks that he can unless he's doing something else with his weapon, or otherwise unable to. This blocking should not be perfect or instant, but it makes sense and will prevent add some strategy to melee combat.

-Combo moves, again like in Jedi Academy. This puts some variety into combat, and combined with a variety of different weapons, could make it quite fun. This is probably the hardest of all since it would require so many different animations.

-Limited unarmed combat, like kicking somebody to knock them back a bit. This would inflict small amounts of damage as well, and maybe not take you out of stealth mode.

-Underlying all this is the basic assumption that melee weapons are objects in the world that can colide with other objects. So when you see a player holding a sword, there sword is actually where you see it instead of that simply representing that the player has a sword.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

It sounds good except for the second suggestion. I remember jedi outcast was ridiculously easy because as long as your facing your opponent, your basically invincible. What would keep people from just backing into a corner or otherwise protecting his back, so he'll be impossible to kill?

[Edit/]I have my own suggestion: It would be cool if a player could wield any two weapons at the same time (possibly only the same type, to avoid sword/Xbow) such as two swords or two axes. This of course would have it's drawbacks but I dunno what. Also when in combat mode I think player shouldn't be able to use items at any time, but rather have to place the item in a 'combat item slot' or something similar. Mabye even have it so that having an item ready will take away your ability to wield two weapons.[Edit]
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger
      It sounds good except for the second suggestion. I remember jedi outcast was ridiculously easy because as long as your facing your opponent, your basically invincible. What would keep people from just backing into a corner or otherwise protecting his back, so he'll be impossible to kill?
      The blocking shouldn't be perfect, as I mentioned, or that problem will arise. If attacked constantly, some attacks will get through. Also, some moves could be unblockable, but with disadvantages like being slow to make up for it.
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

You know... shields was invented for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
          You know... shields was invented for a reason.
          Hell yeah. Add shields and shield bash to my list. ^_^

Comment

I would like to see a combat-staff in the game, to allow for some martial artist kinda moves.

Comment

sounds like DarkBill should just make a thief mod for Jedi Academy.
              only prob is the lightsaber might not do too good in stealth
              "When it is difficult to put someone to the sword with one hand, by all means kill him with two hands"
              Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

What about Severance!!! Such an ace game... granted the contol system sucked, but the melee combat was awsome.... taking some inspiration from that would go down well.
                -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                -YT

Comment

Originally posted by zifnab
                  Not at all. I'd like if Nightblade wasn't so focused on combat, but since that's the direction that the devs have chosen for it, I'd like to see it done well. I started this discussion with a couple suggestions I had after playing Jedi Academy, since I found the melee combat in that game enjoyable.

Comment

JK3 pwnz the 3rd person melee combat genre.

Its stylish... thats all, everything you do looks cool, I'd like NB to be like that in a way...
                    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                    -YT

Comment

The only (3D) game I've ever played with decent swordfighting is the original Bushido Blade on the Playstation. I hope Nightblade will be the second.
                      I'm cool!

Comment

I had a whole rant about manual blocking and auto blocking, but got mysteriously got kicked off , so I'll sum it up.

Maybe, you should have block action so you can keep on your toes and watch all sides. You could only block your front invinsibly, but not your sides and flank. So unlike Jedi Academy you don't have to be up to a wall and be totally safe, you gotta watch your vulnerable sides as well.
                        "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
                          Originally posted by zifnab
                          Not at all. I'd like if Nightblade wasn't so focused on combat, but since that's the direction that the devs have chosen for it, I'd like to see it done well. I started this discussion with a couple suggestions I had after playing Jedi Academy, since I found the melee combat in that game enjoyable.
                          Well, don't have all just fighting, because thieves do have definite disadvantage when it comes to a face to face fight with a guard, this could be useful as well with thief on thief fighting.
                          "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by !eduDageM
                            The only (3D) game I've ever played with decent swordfighting is the original Bushido Blade on the Playstation. I hope Nightblade will be the second.
                            have you played way of the samurai? or the mark of kri?

Originally posted by FixXxeR
                            JK3 pwnz the 3rd person melee combat genre.
                            yeah for pc games :p
                            I am of the Night

Comment

Working...
                            X