suggestion: I solved the "download" problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion: I solved the "download" problem

The first and most practical reason is that we're trying to sort out a decent distribution method so we can work on Nightblade and have the results of our work available to you as easily and quickly as possible. Having to manually build patches means having them fairly spaced out and would mean testing them thoroughly, which means by the time they're ready to put out there, they're old. So, we're looking for some tools to automatically grab the latest versions of all our content and package them up into patches, to be triggered whenever (I'm thinking weekly at this point).
    Hey dalai and all the others,

Just use nsisdl to solve this problem!
    Nsisdl is a plugin for nsis, the installer which you use to install thievery.
    Just download the installer of th-haven2 alpha for the example! (freyk0.tripod.com)
    Working on TH-Haven, the first singleplayer (and coِp) missionpack for thievery.
    Get more info about it on http://freyk0.tripod.com

My installer download first the packets from my server, and extracts them in the specified folder. So the files are always up to date.
    Working on TH-Haven, the first singleplayer (and coِp) missionpack for thievery.

Comment

Does it work on linux? Cauz the servers are on linux...
      Abraham Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Comment

Hmm hmm.

Comment

Well, Nsis is open source. So it can Hopefully be ported!
          Click here for more info about nsis :grin:

Comment

(I don't saw the edit button )

Comment

Browsing their forums it looks like it doesn't have a port to linux that will work on linux(it'll just make windows setup).

However, for linux there is loki's setup and update.

What would be nice is a shared data file for both OS with a small installer download for each. That way someone could download the main part once(instead of having two huge downloads) and be able to install it under both operating systems if they want.
              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

This stuff is going a little over my head (must just be one of those days.) What does this kind of thing mean of those of us using 56k?
                It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_D
                  This stuff is going a little over my head (must just be one of those days.) What does this kind of thing mean of those of us using 56k?
                  It means you will only download updated or new files at a scheduled interval (usually nightly) which saves bandwidth and ensures that all devs stay updated automatically.
                  No Linux, No Choice.
                  Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Thing is, we don't have unlimited server space.

Comment

Care to explain that, mOdEtWo.

I don't see space as being the problem, rather the bandwidth, but with the option of adding mirrors that should be less of a problem. Old files can be kept on a few off server hard drives(which should already be in place, backups are good).
                      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

(A Hint for the coders: sourceforge.net)

For the ones who don't understand, an open development doesn't mean that night-blade will be made on linux.
                        Open development means that everybody can help improving the codes (and other stuff)
                        It's just like helping with mozilla win32, but now with night-blade

In a nsis installer you can select in a list, the specified files you want to install.
                        So the installer download not all the codes, but for an example, one code.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
                          I don't see space as being the problem, rather the bandwidth..
                          Hmm, no.

I have unlimited bandwidth, seriously. I just don't have unlimited server space. And we need fast mirrors, and quite large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                            I have unlimited bandwidth, seriously. I just don't have unlimited server space. And we need fast mirrors, and quite large ones.
                            Originally posted by Freyk
                            (A Hint for the coders: sourceforge.net)
                            Is is a idea, to create an account at Sourceforge.net?

Comment

Originally posted by freyk
                              Is is a idea, to create an account at Sourceforge.net?
                              Erm, a game over at SorceForge? I mean, UT2K3 isn't even open source.

Comment

Working...
                              X