Backwards compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwards compatability

Im sure this has already been asked, but will the Thieves vs. Guard gametype have backwards compatability with old TUT maps (possibly with a few changes)? And if not would anyone want to play remakes of old maps (obviously enhanced to make use of the new engine)?
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

TUT maps for UT2003 will look like the ugliest thing you have ever seen.

I doubt that it would be easy to convert the maps, not to mention that Nightblade will not have water arrows, hence quite a lot of modifications will be required. I doubt any of the NB mappers are interested in turning an ugly (By 2003 standards), unbalanced map into something worth playing, when they could be making maps based on ideas that they like.

Comment

well no, not the NM mappers, but mabye someone like me could do it. And I really don't care about looks, it's the gameplay that matters.

Comment

The gameplay for NB will be totally different from TUT, so porting maps over probably wouldn't be a great idea. However, you could rebuild a TUT map from scratch in the likeness of a TUT map with some changes for NB gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
          The gameplay for NB will be totally different from TUT, so porting maps over probably wouldn't be a great idea. However, you could rebuild a TUT map from scratch in the likeness of a TUT map with some changes for NB gameplay.
          TUT maps would actually work quite well with Nightblade Thief vs Guard, with some modification for the whole no-dynamic-light thing. But I would highly recommend starting from scratch rather than porting (which can be done but is pretty ugly).
          Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger
            well no, not the NM mappers, but mabye someone like me could do it. And I really don't care about looks, it's the gameplay that matters.
            Well, of course, if a non-dev is willing to do it, it would of course be possible, yet not too effective for the reasons stated by others (Dodges, camera angles, general uglyness). I'm sure there will be a few NB maps "inspired" by Tut maps in the official package.

Comment

Nightblade will not have water arrows
              what do you mena by that? i'm hoping you don't mean what i think you mean and that there will be no water arrows in NB.
              "When it is difficult to put someone to the sword with one hand, by all means kill him with two hands"
              Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

There isn't very good dynamic lighting.

Which means there aren't any torches.

Which means water arrows have no use.

Which means there are no water arrows.
                Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I think a remake of DE would make an excellent thieves vs. thieves map. It's a big open map with perfect locations for the bases: One on the east and west ends. As for thieves vs. guards, I think it would be best to wait and see how many people play it before beginning a map.

Comment

Now that you mentioned it, just imagine two teams of thieves meeting at the bottle neck in breakout.
                    I have a small hope that my map can be ported to NB, but I still need to get it done for TUT
                    IMO some maps would require reworking for NB

(Probably dumb) Question for DEVS: Will the game modes in NB use the same maps?

Assuming that the answer is yes than it would have to be something a bit like the maps in HALO or the UT SE maps where you have a completly balanced level, in DE for instance, having a team at the west gate puts them in a more tricky situation as they dont have all the ways in that the other team would have on the oposite side.
                    Other maps like Aquatone would probably require a new spaw area to avoid early vent wars (eh eh, imagine the AIs going crazy with all the fight going on in the vents :lol: ) Anyway its always an interesting experience to converting an old map, sometimes it works others it doesnt.
                    But you never know unless you try...
                    Feel the power of the

Comment

I've seen UT maps coverted to UT2003. It made my old (small simple) favorite make me want to leave the server.
                      The only constant is change.
                      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by Antero90
                        (Probably dumb) Question for DEVS: Will the game modes in NB use the same maps?
                        In a word: no.

In a small essay: While some maps may be able to be converted fairly easily from, say, GuildWars to TvG, many will not work well like this. Each game type will have its own map balance issues. An example is that thief spawn areas in TvG should be more or less inaccessible for guards, while in GuildWars the team bases should be raidable. Other gametypes than GuildWars and Thief vs. Guard are even less compatible.
                        Immortius' Forge

Comment

how will the dodge jump affect nightblade mapping.

will coridoors and doorways need to be bigger to accomodate the extra agility of the players?

has the door size been finalised yet, and will it be a drop in unit? i ask because i'm picking up UT2k3 this weekend and want to start working on my ideas.

cheers

furunculus

Comment

another question: is it true that the ambient lighting model in 2k3 is inferior to that of UT?

what level do you set zonelighting to on Thievery/Nightblade maps? 8, or even lower?

Comment

Originally posted by furunculus
                              another question: is it true that the ambient lighting model in 2k3 is inferior to that of UT?

what level do you set zonelighting to on Thievery/Nightblade maps? 8, or even lower?
                              Ambient lightning can cast sharp shadows, but it cant be turned on and off then.

Zonelightning was for most map around 4 in TUT, altough a few had pitch black areas with 0.

Nightblade is primarly using 0 zonelightning.

Comment

Working...
                              X