dimensions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimensions needed

>what is the standard doorway size excluding the doorframe (i.e how big is the hole in the wall)?

>how high does a NB character jump (i.e. how many unreal units)?

>i heard the dodge-jump was included, what about double jumps?

cheers

furunculus

Door size, like TUT, is 128 x 64uu.

Comment

As far as i know anything in UT2003 is 1.5 times bigger than in UT
      My leet Thievery Map
      My leet UT3 Map
      My leet AS Map

Comment

Yes, everything, so if you don't make UED3 maps in an earlier version of UED, there's no need to worry about that. In UED3, a standard doorway for NightBlade is 128 x 64.

It's always advantageous to build with arches, double doors, etc, though, because that means much less ball-ache when it comes to getting AIs running with a path network.

Comment

And I think it's been mentioned before, that NB's gameplay needs room for the 3rd person melee combat, etc.

And just a tip: When you plan the heights and dimensions, assume that the thieves can get anywhere they want to. That's always a good start.
          Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

cheers all.

the 128*64 door size: is that the size the character actually goes through? or is that the size of the hole in the wall?
            presuming a door will have a doorframe which is about 4 units thick to a side, a doorway could therefore be 132*72 units in size, could it not?

i presume with the 3rd person camera even if there is no double jump then a standard corridoor will still need to be 256 high by 320 wide? bigger if the double jump is left in?

furunculus

p.s. the plan thus far is a river estuary with the town climbing up either valley side, with a small district contained in a central esturine island. any comments?

Comment

Are the framerates gonna be good?
              Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

i have no idea yet.

the last one averaged about 30-40 fps on my GF3 computer.

this should be better, optimization is everything.

furunculus

Comment

a shot of the valley and esturine island (no buildings yet, just terrain):

Comment

Bear in mind geometry no longer occludes in 2k3, so to get good framerates you'll need to zone the level (you can use antiportals, but not many of them without incurring a greater fps hit). So, when making an outdoorish type level, be SURE to plan out where the zone 'rooms' will be. If you just make a huge open level with lots of detail, where all the areas flow into one another with no obvious archways, etc to place zone portals in, to split the level up, then the fps will be awful.

I believe 128x64 is the minimum doorway size.. I think Solaris used slightly bigger doors (whatever the next multiple up that fits nicely on the grid is) and these turned out better for gameplay purposes (easier to fit through, less obstruction on the 3rd person camera).

Comment

cheers Dalai,

its a shame that UT2k3 engine onky supports a max of 64 zones (including the area zone). in UWA i had over 80 zones before we found out about that engine limitation.

a certain level of fog will be employed over long distances such as 4096 units (carefully, i promise ).

some anti-portals will be used, tho i was not aware that there was a performance hit from using too many, cheers.

the terrain that is not visible such as that covered by BSP can be undrawn preventing the need for the renderer to draw it.

UWA was 16,384*16,384 units in size, with 19,500 BSP poly's and the .rsm file alone was over 50MB's, this shouldn't be as taxing.

furunculus

Comment

How big is that area?.....

Comment

its 8192*8192*4096 in size MasterBuilder.

given that UT2k3 does not come with default swing doors of a type suitable for NB i am presuming the NB team is making their own doors as was the case in thievery?
                          are the dimensions decided yet? 128*64/160*80/192*96 for a standard door? i know 128*64 is the minimum size, but what is the ideal size given the requirements of the third person camera?

i don't mean to appear pushy given that i haven't been accepted on the team, but i have wanted to do another medieval map for some time now, and even if i am not accepted on the team i would like this map to at least be suitable for a later conversion should people so wish.

i love UnrealED, but have to admit that sci-fi shoot-em-ups are not my thing, which is why i never finished previous UT maps, and have thus far only mapped for Rainbow Six: Ravenshield.

cheers

furunculus

Comment

The edges of the world.... they... just stop..... The end of world! You will fall down ze endless void!

And remember... It needs darkness.

Comment

the end of the world will be suitably blocked off.

and the high light level is only for while i'm doing the architecture.

furunculus

Comment

Working...
                              X